Thread: News . . . both good & bad . . .

News . . . both good & bad . . .

I just heard from a reliable source in Canada, who in turn, had heard from BMW overseas, via telephone, that the 'Performance Package' is expected to be ready by late summer, late September 2006 or thereabouts.
    I was told to call my individual dealer to order the PerfPkg.
    There are some strings attached though . . . not so good news for anyone who has modified their car in any way. BMW will not install the PerfPkg if there are any modifications to the car. I think original wheels may have also been mentioned, but I cannot be certain of that fact.
    So please . . . find out about your individual case, hopefully you still have the original parts.
    There was no mention of damaged cars as to whether this would fix them or not. I'm assuming & hoping that it will.
    Overall, this is good news!!
    Evie

I also spoke to the president of the Club in Germany....

and he said that it is unlikely anything will be released there until late Sept or Oct, so I think that this is something that will end up being part of the winter's works.

This weekend I returned my car to storage, and will wait until this package arrives before using it again. I am very happy to report that there has been no doming or any other frame damage I can see from the Meet in the Middle drive, so the Dinan castor plates and the lightweight wheels did their job.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

Thumbs down Who out there has not modified their Z8s?

Crap, I replaced my OEM pedals with a set from ACS...and even worse, I replaced my stock floor mats with Z8 logo'd mats...guess I'm SOL. All kidding aside, who has not replaced their CDV???? And what the he11 does an Eisenmann exhaust have to do with the frame? BMW continues to solidify its position to most on this board as a company that does NOT STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCT.

So if your car is modified you can't get it at all? or just not on BMW's nickel?

Talking They'll sell it to you...

they'll just charge you double!!!

Not a reliable defense

I think BMW needs to study up on the Manguson-Moss Act. This legislation basically states that manufacturers cannot renounce their warranty obligations under the excuse of using non-OE parts unless it is the non-OE part that is the source of the problem. So, pedals, exhaust, etc. "should" be in the clear.

Wheels, tires, and suspension upgrades are likely targets. Although, I'm curious how they will handle in Dinan or ACS parts since these firms are "endorsed" by BMW and do not impact the vehicle's original warranty.

If the "performance package" is not a fix and there "is no problem", why would modified cars not be eligible for the installation? Hmmm...kind of ties into the question of why the "performance package" has been mentioned twice as a solution for damaged cars.

I definitely endorse staying in the holding pattern until the end of the summer when the fix is due (understanding that the latest reports suggest that date will be missed) before we take any formal action, but all of BMW's recent actions suggest, to me, that will have to fight in the end. It's sad, but I don't believe that anything short of a suit and bad press will force BMW to take action to protect all of our cars from the potential of future damage.
    thegunguy

Sadly I think you are right....

It's sad, but I don't believe that anything short of a suit and bad press will force BMW to take action to protect all of our cars from the potential of future damage.
    I still love this car, but boy am I shocked by the complete lack of honor shown to us, the owners of the most expensive car they've sold. Like you I am now certain that this is going to end in court and in the press.
    Andrew Macpherson

My thoughts

They probably only are referring to suspension changes. CDV, exhaust etc are not considered at all. This is based upon my conversations during my inspection.

However wheels was an interesting one, as many owners have changed them. This was something they did verify during the inspection. Seemed odd, but it is a red flag to me for many owners.

I still will await official response on what will happen. I am cautiously optimistic.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    BMW in Holland sold me the ACSchnitzer coils and springs upgrade as an approved BMW product!! If they now deny the "performance package" they have something coming!

cheers
    Klaus
    Z8-NL

They are treating us...

just the way they did the e46 M3 owners when they released those cars onto the market with faulty big end bearings, causing massive engine failures in almost an entire year's model run.

They then had the gall to tell all their customers that it was driver error! Eventually they were forced to replace the engines and extend the warranties, but I know several owners who had to put up a hell of a fight to get anything resembling customer support from them.

This corporation to lack any honor or integrity until they are forced, like a sulking child, to do the right thing in court.
    Andrew Macpherson

How were they forced on the M3?

Has anyone contacted someone involved in that process?

It was actually a Roadfly victory...

and the history of their struggle is well documented on the Roadfly e46 M3 board. I also do know of several BMW CCA owners who were involved in the case, so can certainly contact them for you.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I am still on a mission to raise awareness about the new Z8 that will come to market. I think we are all in danger of having our cars seriously devalued by the appearance of BMW introducing a new version that is more reliable, and stronger. It makes our rare production run look like a mistake that is now cleared up. Calling the new car a Z8 is a very big mistake, let alone an insult to all of us who enjoy the rarity of this car. This ties into BMW ignoring us on this frame issue and hoping our small numbers will go away over time.

Bob Adler

Not sure I think it will have any effect...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTSZ
    I am still on a mission to raise awareness about the new Z8 that will come to market. I think we are all in danger of having our cars seriously devalued by the appearance of BMW introducing a new version that is more reliable, and stronger.
    To those that are just looking for the "it" car of the hour the new Z6, Z8, or Z10 (I haven?t seen anything concrete yet ? actually most suggest Z6) may have appeal over our aging car, but as it will be produced in mass quantities (not handmade) with questionable styling, I don't think the true enthusiast will even see the car as a comparable vehicle to ours.

This is just my "survey of one", but the "value" of the current Z8 is not based on its stats. Rather, I believe it's value is based on its beauty and uniqueness, in complement of its performance ? the proverbial ?total package?. All of the rumors on the new car suggest that it will be quite a performer, but it will be just another S85 powered BMW. Said another way, the rumors and ?spy? shots don?t suggest that the new car will be seen at Pebble Beach in 50, as has been speculated for our car.

I don't mean to be cavalier, but for anyone that is concerned about the change of the value based a replacement model, it?s probably time to move on (a frame defect is another issue). It seems like most owners fall into one of two groups: short-term or long-term. With almost all of the cars out of warranty and the potential for a replacement model, I believe the sun is setting on the short-term owners. Again, please, don?t take this as a critique. It just seems to be how things are evolving.

Most of the owners that I converse with are in it for the long-term and have little regard for the dollar value of the car. However, supply alone suggests that it is unlikely that the Z8 ever plummet in value. Even if the frame in every car self-destructs in 30k miles, it?s a helluva ride over that time!
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    I agree with Mr. Gun Guy. I am a long term owner with very little interest in the dollar value. The thrill of this car is the value for me. I just think good vigilence with a company that has not exactly stepped up to the plate for us....yet......is worth it.

Bob Adler

Z8 forever - but brand loyalty must be earned by BMW.

I am with Bob and the Gun Guy. Our Z8s have all the ingredients for a long term love affair and we are totally committed to the car - but not necessarily to the brand.

Most of us have one or more daily drivers in their stables and that is where BMW's long term interest should be.

I have been a loyal pre-Bangle BMW customer and have owned from the classic 2002 to various 3-series cars, an early Z3, an M-Roadster, a number of 5 series and a '95 740i. Then came Bangle and with him an S430 and an SLK 320, followed by an S55 AMG. But parking (and driving) Daimlers next to the Z8 just did not feel right so I forced myself into a model year 2002 745i. I loved powertrain and road handling and was ready to overlook the design flaws but the gadgetry and its malfunctions drove me nuts. A CLK 55 AMG followed and then an E55 Kompressor along with a BMW X3. My current daily driver is a CL 500.

The next generation de-Bangled 7 series is high on my list of desireable daily drivers.

Will my future purchasing decisions be influenced by BMW's handling of my Z8 issues? Most definitely. I am not addicted to the point where I would not buy other premium brands if BMW's product support and engineering quality failed me.

It is up to BMW to do the math and to earn our continued business by standing behind the Z8.

ZAchterbahn.