View Poll Results: Has your car been inspected? Allowed to watch? Given a view of the FSE's report?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

26 65.00%
  • Yes, No, No

7 17.50%
  • Yes, No, Yes

5 12.50%
  • Yes, Yes, No

1 2.50%
  • Yes, Yes, Yes

1 2.50%

Thread: Inspection Roll Call

Inspection Roll Call

Who's had the inspection, and what was your experience? Please note the three questions and order of responses in the poll.
    thegunguy

I voted that I didn't see the report, however I did see the alignment machine output. I also discussed the inspection with him. His formal report was produced days later.

Z8 Novice
    I had the new car that I will be picking up on Monday chassis' alignment checked by BMW. They had no problem with my coming to see what was happening, but in the end it was too far away for me to travel. BMW's UK agents seem to be blissfully unaware of any issues regarding chassis problems on the Z8 and as a result are very relaxed.

The report said that the front tracking was very slightly out,(which they fixed @ 2deg +- on each wheel - the sort of thing you would get on any car) but the overall chassis was spot on - which of course I am pleased about. The car has done 8k miles.

I am still very confused about all of the chassis problems. I spoke to the Managing Director (CEO) of the largest dealer in Z8's in the UK (Hexagon) and he told me categorically that they have had no problems on any of the 50 cars that have gone through their business. He attributed problems to running runflat tyres - at too low a pressure on poor roads in the US. (Not that we have poor roads in the UK or anyone would run a runflat tyre under inflated!!! )

Equally, I emailed J?rgen Wunderlich of the BMW Z8 club who was very helpful and said "we had a survey on this issue and out of 131 cars there were 26 with a damage reported (20 %). I am not the one who wants to sell you the frame kit, you should only be aware of the problem. It is the decision of every single owner to install the kit or not."

I must admit I don't understand these two very diverse opinions, but will fit the "performance upgrade" when it becomes available as it is less than 5% of the cost the car as an insurance.

Has BMW come up with a response recently??

regards
    Ron

No new news from BMW here...

and as soon as there is some news from Germany J?rgen said he will post it over here as well as on the Club's website, so we are all in a wait and see mode just now.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew - as peoples' status changes, do you have a way to change their vote?
    thegunguy

that maybe beyond the ability of the software...

I'd suggest that we do a new poll at years end maybe?
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by hal031235 View Post
    I spoke to the Managing Director (CEO) of the largest dealer in Z8's in the UK (Hexagon) and he told me categorically that they have had no problems on any of the 50 cars that have gone through their business. He attributed problems to running runflat tyres - at too low a pressure on poor roads in the US. (Not that we have poor roads in the UK or anyone would run a runflat tyre under inflated!!! )
    About 2 weeks ago I visited a (non-BMW) dealership selling used Z8s. They had 8 (!) on stock. When I mentioned "frame issue", the owner went ballistic about "this bull....t coming from journalists etc etc". I started talking about the Club's work, and about the problems that I had seen with Z8s.
    Finally, we opened the hoods of 2 of his cars - all in inmaculate condition, completely unmodified, driven by conscious drivers, no race tracks. We did the ruler test, on both cars the passenger side dome was slightly bulged. Nothing to worry about, but visible for the eye without further inspection.
    Needless to say that he was shocked.
    Imagine his investment in 8 Z8s standing around.
    The One-Million-Dollar-Question:
    Will he tell any potential customer about the bulging or not?
    Best regards, Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by dwz8 View Post
    The One-Million-Dollar-Question:
    Will he tell any potential customer about the bulging or not?
    The-713-Million-Dollar-Question:
    Why didn't/won't BMW tell current customers about the bulging?

2 out of 8 - I'd say that's a pretty good sample to help validate the significance of the Z8 Club's survey showing ~20% of cars are showing damage.
    thegunguy

BMW must be terrified....

since they now realize just how serious this situation is. Through their inspections they know this issue has gone beyond just bulging and into a more serious degree of frame damage.

I'm waiting with great interest to see what they will say or do next. Probably nothing except continue to try to sweep this all under the carpet, divide and conquer the owner group and subvert honor and justice.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    The-713-Million-Dollar-Question:
    Why didn't/won't BMW tell current customers about the bulging?

2 out of 8 - I'd say that's a pretty good sample to help validate the significance of the Z8 Club's survey showing ~20% of cars are showing damage.
    Small correction:
    We only had a brief look at 2 cars, we didn't look at the others. I can't say whether these were ok or not.
    Best regards, Dieter

2 out of 2!!

That is 100% of the cars you looked at showed the damage!!
    Andrew Macpherson

I stopped a local Z8er on the road yesterday...

and told him about some of the issues at hand. He uses it as a daily driver, and noted that he has eight speed bumps in his neighborhood that he crosses each way, every day. Stock suspension, S03s. When we popped the hood, I could see very minor crowning on the driver side, and couldn't be sure of the other side. Don't know how many miles on it, but he drives it a lot, and has had it since 01 or 02. I'm sure low speed speed bumps are NOT the problem, as his car should be trashed by now.

That's another example of a random sampling of one, and it did have the problem.

1 for 1, %100