Thread: How has the frame issue affected your driving?

Z8 Novice

How has the frame issue affected your driving?

I'm curious how people have/have not changed their driving habits as a result of this issue? I've only owned my car for a week...I've been driving it back and forth to work (about 8 miles on 1-95 in CT) and of course all around my town, but wouldn't take it into Manhattan because those roads are terrible. It's weird how quickly I've started memorizing the "bad spots" on the roads around here.

Sport Button On

Yup

Congratulations on your new car.
    Your characterization of your driving is the problem. I drove my 2003 over 4000 miles in the year prior to the current issue about the shock towers. Since then less than 500. I love the car, live in a perfect climate in a small coastal California town and drive conservatively compared to contemporaries with their Z8s. I find myself more engrossed with "protecting" the car than truly enjoying it. That is not what I had in mind when I bought it. It has come to the point that I do not believe what BMW states, not because of what they say, but how they have been saying it since November.

Robbie

I drive it as if it is made of glass....

I didn't drive my car for almost six months, from the time I first heard about this, until Meet in the Middle. I read that another owner has sustained some quite bad pothole hits, but his shock towers weren't damaged. He attributed this to the Dinan castor plates he fitted, so I followed suit. I also shed 58lbs of unsprung weight by swapping the wheels and tires, and this was the only way I was prepared to risk taking my car to Meet In The Middle.

On that journey we had some great spirited stretches of road, and the car was a joy to drive, but I was always being super cautious. I constantly found myself driving as if humpty dumpty was sitting on top of my windscreen, because I knew he was lurking under my hood. Even with the castor plates to protect the shock tower crowns a bad pothole could still have twisted in the upper frame rails, and distorted the front frame of the car.

It is a beautiful car, and I still love to look at it, photograph it, and even fight for it, but BMW's lack of honor in handling this is really shameful.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Team Z8
    My car will remain stored until this issue is resolved fairly. I have pampered my Z8 since mile one which my service records indicate, and will not tolerate having spent the money I did on a vehicle that can't be driven without constant intrepidation. In the long run, I believe BMW will supply a solution that protects our vehicles if not only to avoid the PR disaster they'd suffer if they ignored us. In the mean time, I have purchased a BMW extended warranty. Maybe we should consider that they are stalling until the entire run is out of original warranty.

Hi

Dawn, Drrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvve it, enjoy it, be safe and have fun. It's an awesome car. I've put more miles on mine since the Frame Issue came to the fore. They're not made of aluminum foil for gods sake. They have been driven hard, they just don't like pot holes, at all! so pay attention and don't hit any.
    Best,
    JS
    Palm Beach, Fl.

Z8 Novice
    Ah yes, thanks Jim. Glad to hear it. The service manager at my local BMW dealer said I'd need to hit something so hard that my air bags would nearly go off. Either way, it's been raining in CT forever, so the car has been parked for a while. (I love Palm Beach by the way, Breakers is one of my favorite hotels anywhere.)

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I drive a bit less than last year and perhaps, subconciously, that's partly because of this issue, but when on the road I don't drive any differently than normal. I've been driving this car for five and a half years and haven't bent it yet, so chances are pretty good that I won't if I just keep doing what I'm doing.

Harvey - some more pix please!!

While I was doing the GALLERY index this weekend I had a long look at your beautiful shots from four summers ago - please don't forget to take some more this year!
    Andrew Macpherson

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    While I was doing the GALLERY index this weekend I had a long look at your beautiful shots from four summers ago - please don't forget to take some more this year!
    ....just to mention, Pascal sold his grey Z8 cause of the ongoing problem with the
    Frame, changed to Porsche....hey more than beautyful pic's!!.., and it,s not a dream it is truth..i love my z8 put in the kit -> et voila ...i enjoy every mile with it! Greetings from Switzerland

He's FOS

Quote Originally Posted by henryd
    Ah yes, thanks Jim. Glad to hear it. The service manager at my local BMW dealer said I'd need to hit something so hard that my air bags would nearly go off. Either way, it's been raining in CT forever, so the car has been parked for a while. (I love Palm Beach by the way, Breakers is one of my favorite hotels anywhere.)
    Normal speed on normal road + average pothole = crowning, I know for a FACT.

Ha!!!!

The service manager at my local BMW dealer said I'd need to hit something so hard that my air bags would nearly go off.
    I know a couple of cigarette salesmen who'll also tell you smoking doesn't harm you at all, and a few gun salesmen who tell you guns aren't dangerous, only people are!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I only drive mine a couple of times a month but not due to the frame issue. In the end, I think this issue will be resolved. I am now more worried aobut the plan to bring back the Z8 in 2010. This will do more to dilute the value by turning our three years of production into an immature step child. BMW should call the new version by another number, Z9, Z7, Z1368745, but NOT Z8. It will spoil the charm and limited production concept. Basically, it dismisses our cars.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by henryd
    I've been driving it all around my town, but wouldn't take it into Manhattan because those roads are terrible.
    Manhattan pot holes (some look like craters on Mars) would bend frames of any car. I live here, but I keep my Z8 in Westchester, away from those pot holes and parking attendants!

Robert