Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Z8's Oil is Castrol TWS 10-60

I'm going Lubri-Moly...

... not just because they advertise in A Certain Magazine, but because the Germans seem pretty compulsive when it comes to engineering products for specific ends. These guys make, like four or five different 5W30 oils, for example, one specifically suited to Opels! So when they say their 10W60 is the Hot Set-Up for the S62, I figure what the hey.

Bavarian Auto sells this stuff in five-liter jugs as well as individual liter-size containers, which I also like. And they offer free shipping for orders over $150. I have never had any trouble meeting that criterion.

Also, I plan to start doing Blackstone Lab analyses at every oil change; I predict that these will be yearly changes, given the mileage I expect to add to the car. The lab reports will probably read SAME AS LAST TIME: DON'T YOU EVER DRIVE THAT THING?! And Owner #4 may appreciate the extra attention—or not.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar

Me, too...

I agree, Satch. I went with Lubri-Moly at my last oil change this month.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    John,

To be precise...I am talking about BMW Holland. And yes BMW Holland sells Shell products for their cars. So you have to emphasize that you want TWS 10-60 for your Z8. Even than they don't have a code for this brand and they print Shell helix on your bill......that is what they told me ....but I had it changed in my presence with TWS :-)

Now for the rest of the world

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/10/bm...-oil-supplier/

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Just had my oil changed at the dealership. BMW now recommend/use the Shell 10W-60 synthetic "BMW M Twinpower Turbo" oil for our engines. Also noted on Turner Motorsports web page:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...m5-e9x-m3.aspx
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Now that they have a relationship with shell... That's what they reco.. Just because? Is that why they reco'd tsw at the time? So I wonder what is actually best? Clearly BMW is "flexible".

I read the following on another (oil) forum, anyone know if it's true?

"The S54B32 engine used in the M/Motorsport cars has a design flaw. The rod bearings are too small and the original design was known to fail in 60k miles and some times fewer. The "fix" was to increase the bearing clearances and spec a 10W-60 oil. There is at least one shop that will sell you a modified crank with wider rod bearing journals and connecting rods to match. If one were to build an engine as so a 0W-40 would undoubtedly work very well."
    61345 ​Jet Black/Sport Red

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaman View Post
    I read the following on another (oil) forum, anyone know if it's true?

"The S54B32 engine used in the M/Motorsport cars has a design flaw. The rod bearings are too small and the original design was known to fail in 60k miles and some times fewer. The "fix" was to increase the bearing clearances and spec a 10W-60 oil. There is at least one shop that will sell you a modified crank with wider rod bearing journals and connecting rods to match. If one were to build an engine as so a 0W-40 would undoubtedly work very well."

yes, the E9X M3 & E6X M5+M6 have what appears to be bearing clearances that are TOO SMALL. The tighter clearance combined with a 60-weight oil results in premature wear, as early at 50,000 miles. A less intrusive fix was suggested by shops that were performing premature bearing changes. This fix was to switch from the BMW specified TWS to either 5W50 or 0W40 engine oil (mobil 1 was mentioned by name because they sell both oils). BMW now sells NEW rod bearings with the CORRECT clearances to run 60-weight oil.

Owners are now stuck between:
    >using 40 weight oil in the hope that they will prolong the life of the bearings past 50,000 miles since many people do not even use the 8000rpm redline frequently enough to need the 60 weight oil
    >performing preventative bearings changes in order to avoid having to figure out which oil they should use.

the S62 does NOT suffer from the same issues, the S62 (in the M5) suffers from starvation issues as a result of the oil pan design.

EDIT:

[1]
    issues that have arisen as a result of the rod bearing changes taking place outside the BMW dealer circle include independent shops receiving parts in poor condition. Specifically bearing shells; I've seen photos of all 8 or 10 bearing shells dumped in a single bag instead of being individually wrapped.

[2]
    for the cars that have made it to 100,000+ miles, the simple answer is that, the more miles you put on between cold starts, the longer the engine will last.

[3]
    Now for the shop you say sells WIDER bearings, I think you mean LARGER-CLEARANCE. There are multiple shops that sell ALTERNATIVE bearings, but these are actually just BMW bearings with different types of treatment in order to help them perform better for specific applications.
    >>VAC motor sports sells bearings that have a coating applied to them in order to make them more slippery and harder
    >>There is a shop in California that takes BMW bearings and simply performs a particle-blasting process in order to put tiny golf-ball type dimples in the bearings. This process is also meant to harden the bearings surface and create a surface that is supposed to promote better oil flow

Since my last service, Peter Pan BMW has depleted it stock of Castrol oil and has switched to Shell products. As a result, I'll be supplying the 10W-60 Castrol motor oil for next week's service because I am unwilling to introduce another brand at this time. For the oil weight, I don't drive my car as much as I did in 2010/2011, but I always let the engine warm up a bit before leaving my house. My favorite route on these drives cuts through windy roads dotted with oak trees followed by a dash on the freeway so the flexibility of the higher weight oil works for me.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

The Blue Car has been fed Mobil 1 more most of its 100,000 miles, I believe, but I changed to BMW 10W60 synthetic in Indiana. The car was then driven to South Carolina and up to New Jersey, where BMW's Workshop East changed the oil again. The Blackstone report (using the oil from the Indiana change) says "Wear metal looks great. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after 5,200 miles on the oil. This oil probably wasn't run quite that long, since wear is below average."

When it gets to the Left Coast this year, it will be treated to Liqui-Moly 10W-60. Oh, by the way: Yes, if you want to truly drain the engine oil, the reservoirs must be released by the computer.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2