Thread: recommended fuel additives?

Sport Button On

recommended fuel additives?

This is an occasional use car for me. I expect to do 1000-2000 miles per year. Does anyone have any recommendations on fuel additives to counteract the generally poor ethanol mixed fuel currently available? I use marine grade Stabil in my antique alfa romeos which does a great job in preventing varnish deposition and water adsorption. Any pros or cons for use in a z8?

thanks

I have no knowledge of these additives or their pros and cons, but I'd love to hear more about your Alfas!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Ive been advised to use Stabil as well but I havent really done much with it. I'm curious to hear other people's experiences.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Imo you don't need additives: it is a modern car which only needs special motor oil
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I have no knowledge of these additives or their pros and cons, but I'd love to hear more about your Alfas!
    I have been playing with them for 25 years. I currently have a 65 giulia spider veloce ( one of 1000), a 69 duetto boat tail spider, and two 66 bertone step nose coupes, one of which has a 2 l with spica injection

Sport Button On

Wink fuel additives

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    Imo you don't need additives: it is a modern car which only needs special motor oil

its not the modes car which needs the additives, its the crappy modern fuel which turns to paint varnish if you let it sit in the tank long enough.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunger View Post
    its not the modes car which needs the additives, its the crappy modern fuel which turns to paint varnish if you let it sit in the tank long enough.
    Drive the car....than it does not "sit" ....it flows
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    you are right, of course. problem is I have only one butt and 6 cars. it has to sit some.

Please share some shots of the Alfas in the main forum and keep us posted on what u find here about the additives. For what it's worth I think most of us here are occasional drivers, so our car often sit for weeks at a time, and so far we've had no fuel degradation based issues that I know about.

There's one recommendation that Jurgen made that I do try to follow, and that is to always fill up when I put her away because the fuel remains more stable without air to oxidize it. Sounds logical, so that's been my own personal strategy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I think it depends on the car. Lets say you have a Z8 as a driver and a Z8 Alpina as a collector. The Z8 Alpina gets maybe 100-200 miles a year- really just maintenance driving- In that case Id say its better off to keep like 1/8 of a tank full and drive it down and then replace- this way you can replace it more frequently. In the case of the driver- if you have to put it away for a few weeks/ 2 months for the winter then Id say fill it up- then try to drive out all the gas in a short period of time and fill it up again. Thats basically what I do.

Stabil

I've used Stabil very successfully for years on everything from my classic cars, to boat (had twin BB Merc's), to my mowers and tractors. Never any problems and the stuff seems to stave off fuel separation (phasing) and aging problems. I also selectively use STP or a water-out product (HEET) if any of my machinery is to sit for any length of time.
    So far, never any problems. Good luck.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Sport Button On

thanks

thanks for the input. How is the Audi R8 v10, by the way? That was my other choice.

Audi R8 V10

The Audi's great. The second one we've owned. (other was a V8 coupe). Very well built, with great fit and finish. Driving is fantastic. Perfect combo of ride, handling, sport, cruising and vroooom! It's very easy to drive locally, yet can blast off on open freeways in an instant. We've made a few long trips and outside of limited storage space it's a comfortable distance runner. Audi service at the 3 dealerships that I've used around the country has always been great.
    Yet, like any car, I'm beginning to consider what may come next, so may sell this one to move on. If the i8 becomes reality, that, or the presumed new NSX, may join the fleet.

Still so many cars and such little time!
    Stu
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

I loved the Audi I drove, stunning machine from behind the wheel, but overall it just didn't inspire my desire.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Seems to me the R8 shows what Audi can do when unshackled from its dogmatic adherence to historic platforms.

I would like to know this as well. Currently, I also use Stabil marine version because it seems to work fine for my boats in winter storage over the years. I don't fill up before storage as I like to have room to add fresh fuel on the next outing.
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black