Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: A 'Pumpkin Chain' proposition.....

Thumbs up A 'Pumpkin Chain' proposition.....

I know there are a few out there that have a spare Z8 Pumpkin.

Since my dealer is not exicited about having my car on his lift for a couple days while my quaife is installed I started thinking of possibilities. I really don't need a spare 3rd member myself, might someone with a spare be willing to allow me to build my LSD pumkin with that unit, and let me send you my original (low milage and guarenteed undamaged) back as a replacement as soon as the swap is completed? Of course I am willing to pay a "fee" and all the shipping charges.

This can be viewed as a way to share the cost of that spare you purchased and may just leave on a shelf. Maybe the cost could get close to zero if you repeated this a few times?

Or is there someone who would want to split the cost of a spare pumpkin 2 or three ways and take turns using it to construct our new units?

Thumbs up I'd certainly be up for doing a cost split....

I have already ordered a new pumpkin via Metric Mechanic that is going to go, with my Quaife in it, up to Peter Pan in a couple of weeks. The pumpkin that will come out of my car is going back to MM for a small refund, but we can certainly make this a cheaper event by pumpkin trading.
    Seems apt being Haloween and all!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Are you changing gears too?

If there are no others interested, Maybe I can just buy your core pumpkin for more than what you would have recieved otherwise.

No, I'm keeping my gearing stock...

I really like the ratios as they are, on the roads I drive the most I have no desire to change the revs, and the car is quite fast enough for me as it is.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I really like the ratios as they are, on the roads I drive the most I have no desire to change the revs, and the car is quite fast enough for me as it is.
    I am undecided as of now. Please keep me informed as I do want to work something out with you on your pumpkin.

Team Z8

Sounds like a good idea...

I was wondering how I might have the Quaife installed and not leave the car sitting in a shop or on a rack for however long it might take. I'm also not interested in changing the gear ratios, but haven't made the calls to find out how long the r&r would take.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Halloween Pumpkins

My mechanic in Vegas (Precision Auto) agreed to put the car away for the necessary time. However, I know that could be a major inconvenience for them. I may be interested.

Dave P

That makes four of us. Even if we split the cost of the first Pumpkin 4 ways. that is less than $400 each. We would still have a pumkin at the end to pass on to another individual or another group to further reduce the cost.

Andrew is the furthest along in the process so it depends on what he wants to do with his return core. We could set up a time table and rotate it through the purchasers. I can go next or I can go last it is up to the group. I wil do mine locally so I should not need more than a week if I get enough lead time, maybe less.

Actually, I am ready to move now, being up north, I don't like to drive to the dealer in crummy weather. Andrew if you are game, I am ready as soon as you make a swap. I will move as fast as possible to get the pumkin on to the next person

Sounds good to me....

I'll get a confirmed cost from Metric and we can then just split that four ways if there are four of us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Pumpkin brothers?
    thegunguy

Team Z8

I'm in then...

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in SoCal. LA would work but something in the OC area would be even better.

Team Z8

This is what makes the forum so great...

Shared resources and communication that save us time and money. Thanks all.

Pumpkins

I am in then.

Jim Rowe told me turn around time for the diff would be approx 8 to 10 days. Factor in shipping time etc... and it would be likely a little over 2 weeks turn around per unit.

I am waiting for my Eisenmanns to do it all at the same time. My mechanic is local and it will be easdy for me to do this at any time.

I am not changing my gearing.

Dave P
    Last edited by Dogsbreath; October 24th 2006 at 22:03. Reason: add more info

Pumpkinheads,

Two weeks is consistent with my experience, and I believe Z8Doc's too. The longest lead time in my case was the time for Jim to receive some seals from BMW to complete my build.

The first person (macfly) will need to build a box to ship the pumpkin. On Jim's suggestion, I cut a plywood sheet to fit the interior of an large cardboard box. I then lined this plywood frame with two layers (about 3") of "blueboard" super-dense insulation (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). I wrapped the pumpkin in corrugated paper and bubble wrap and placed inside the foam box. Then, I filled the remaining space with packing foam/chips. The pumpkin arrived at Jim's shop and back at my residence without issue and in perfect condition.

Be sure to drain the diff before sending to save weight and since UPS, etc. will not ship liquids.
    thegunguy

If Andrew starts the process, won't he have the box the first unit comes in? or is it too flimsy?

My Quaife is there....

but not sure about the pumpkin as yet. I'll call Jim tomorrow and see what the total is for the 'donor' unit which I believe he ordered direct from BMW NA. We can then figure out the split etc. I'll post with full info in the am.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    3.64 vs. 3.38 (original gearing) . I have to urge you guys to think hard about going with the higher gearing. I find that in most of my regular driving the gearing is what makes the biggest difference- in the more sporty cornering, the LSD is nice, but consider that the tires (if you have changed them as you should) provide a lot of grip to begin with, so you have to be breaking the grip and how much farther past breaking that grip should you be going? For hooligan fun having more rear wheel power pays dividends too. But more than that, it makes the car feel so much stronger.

I highly recommend both the LSD and the revised gearing.

I do have the OEM diff in a box in my office but its not packaged very well right now and I will be out of touch for a good part of today. So Michael (2112) as a fellow Z8er and fellow Rush fan myself I would be happy to help but we will have to address the packaging issue as the thing is pretty heavy. I am in Westchester NY and you are all the way in WA. I am sure we could work out the shipping but we would have to get some help in the packaging. If you can find someone closer to you I would suggest that, otherwise let me know.

You can email me at [email protected]

Differential packaging

I shipped a diff recently (Though not a Z8 one). I used the ubiquitous milk crate. I wrapped the diff in brown paper (to absorb any stray oil), followed by yards of bubble wrap. Then I packed newspapers into any holes so the diff would not move. Finally I wrapped the milk crate in cardboard. OK - not beautiful - but durable, re-useable, cheap and easy.

Dave P

Differntials or pumkins?

Z8mania, Thanks for your generous offer. Lets wait to see what we can do as a group, If it gets complicated for us, I am sure you will here from me or others.

Z8Mania
    Sorry for the confusion- mines the entire diff- pumpkin and all the stuffin

Z8 diff = $1725.00

So how many of us are in for the 'daisy chain'?

My diff will be arriving at Peter Pan sometime late next week, so we can send the one we're removing directly on to whoever needs it next, or if #2 in the chain is using Metric Mechanic we can just return it to there.

Please let me know how is in, and who wants to go next so we can divi up the purchase price. I'll pay 20% more than the split cost as I'm starting with the brand new one - mine one has only done 7,000 very babied miles, but since all the inners get junked it doesn't much matter.
    Andrew Macpherson

I am in, and I am happy to go first unless someone else needs too. I would like to avoid the crummy N.W. weather if possible.

Andrew,

I also want to swap out the "bad" wheel bearings (or axle bearings?) when I do my swap as I have a very early production car (I can hardly believe I have had her nearly 6 years!).

Can you remind me which bearings allowed the excess movement? Do you have a part #?

Lastly, Are we all staying stock on gears ratios? I am running out of time to get others in and I am pretty happy with the accelaration I have now.

In answer....

No issue here, where do you want me to send the unit to?

The rear wheel bearings were the ones that got beefed up - same part # but well upgraded beefier part as you'll see when you do the swap.

I'm staying with stock gearing as I use the car for more brisk touring than 'super-sporting'. All those who have the lower ratio absolutely love it, so if want your car to accellerate a bit stronger then this seems to be a no loose upgrade.

David & Ron, you guys ok to go next? Looks like the part split 4 ways is $431 - but if you guys are cool to give me $390 each then I'm happy as can be as the 'pumpkin chain starter'. (PayPal or check is cool.).
    Andrew Macpherson

I'll do Pay Pal now but I am not sure how to get it to you directly.

I think to keep things simple I will just have Metric Mechanic do mine too. I assume I just need to get my differential to him.

So....I just say replace the rear wheel bearings? I don't expect them to know the nuances of certain year's bearing attributes so I want to geive them the best information. Front bearings too?

Wheels bearings....

Fronts are cheap & easy, rears take more time, effort & $, but I'd say it wouldn't hurt to change both if you've done a good number of miles on bumpier or rougher roads.
    Andrew Macpherson

Our "Pumpkin Chain" has started....

It will first come to my car at Peter Pan, then return to MM, go to 2112, and then return to MM if that is where the next is to be fitted. Please let me know who wants to go next so we can keep the chain moving.

(ok, this is very off topic, but Never Break the Chain by Fleetwood Mac was the theme music for BBC's Formula 1 program during most of my youth!)
    Andrew Macpherson

With Murray Walker...

and for a while, James Hunt.

Although Speed does Ok, I miss the UK coverage.

Pumpkins

I am in. Andrew I will paypal you $390. The email address is [email protected] correct ?? Please just confirm that and I will paypal you immediately.

My revised gear ratios and Quaife are already at Metric Mechanic.

I am content to go last as I hope to do the Eisenmanns at the same time. They have yet to materialize.

Dave

Great news....

you're in the chain-gang now! PayPal address is [email protected]
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

Should we talk to Jim Rowe? DO you have a land line # for them?

Just so I know, what labor and parts cost should we expect?

MM details.....

Metric Mechanic

505 East Main
    Richland MO

573 765 1269

Andrew Macpherson

That is the same # I had but Verizon kept saying he was out of range. I will try again.

I assume the parts and Labor is the $1500 listed next to 3.38/quaife?

Team Z8

I'm still in...maybe do the wheel bearings too.

Work has me out of town for the next couple of weeks. End of November is the earliest I can get back to a car project.

Talked to Jim Rowe today

He was not fully aware of our "daisy chain" but thought is was a great way to do this.He was just sending Andrews "pumpkin" out the door and did not expect it back for a while. I am sending My Quaife this week so when Andrew's pumpkin arrives he will be ready. When I recieve that unit, I will send my pristine pumkin back to Jim for the next person. He said these conversions have been going good with out complications.

Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    Work has me out of town for the next couple of weeks. End of November is the earliest I can get back to a car project.
    If everthing goes smoothly, that would be good timing to be next. Jim told me to expect 2-3 weeks before I get the completed unit. Then I need to perform the swap.

It would be great if the mufflers arrive but I will be content with bearings, the fix and the Quaife. I can always do mufflers myself.

Pumpkin chain...

I had eailed with Mary, not Jim about the chain - and she thought it was a very creative solution - i guess she just didn't tell Jim.

I'll talk to Dana and see if there is any chance that he could get the rear swapped out a bit quicker so we can keep the chain moving.
    Andrew Macpherson

My quaife was delivered at MM today, What is your pumpkin's status Andrew?

I got a message from Dana today...

saying all was there, and ready to go, but I have to call him in the am to get an exact timeline of pumpkin turnaround - I'll post again once we've spoken.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sounds good, Keep us posted.

Lightbulb Z8 diff - final drive - price

Sorry I did not see this sooner. If there is anyone out there who opts to buy a final drive (complete unit) the price appears to differ from state to state. Andrew's price was 1700 - my quoted price was 1400 at the dealer here in Vegas. If you are a BMW CCA member you would qualify for an additional 10 % off.

It might well be worth shopping around if you opt for a complete final drive.

Dave P

Pumpkin chain continues....

My Z8 has its LSD installed, and the pumpkin is now back at MM, and I imagine getting ready to leave for Seattle.

2112, if you send it back to MM as soon as poss then MM will do dogsbreath's.

As of now we don't have any other takers for the pumpkin chain, so if it is just us three we will 'sell' our final unit back to MM for $500, and split the proceeds. If anyone else would like to join the pumpkin chain please let us know before we sell our one back.
    Andrew Macpherson

I have been in contact with the Rowes. They received my differential a week or so ago. I asked that they give me a heads up on the completion date so that I can reserve my time at the dealer in advance.

I will return my pumpkin ASAP.

BTW how many hours did it take your dealer to swap out the pumpkins?

Which gearl oil did you go with?

I know the gear oil is a Redline....

RedLine 75W90 fully synthetic gear oil.
    Change it after 1200 miles.
    Then every 30,000 or so.
    No extended high speed driving during initial break-in.

I think it was about 5 or six hours to do the swap, but I won't kenow exactly till I pick up the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8

Hey wait, don't forget me!

I need to get my Quaife installed. I'll make some calls to find a shop here in the Orange Co. area.

No problem.....

if you could PayPal me the $390 to the email address [email protected]

If we have all 4 of us it will be very cost effective -
    1700 - 390x3 (1170) - 500 (on final return to MM) = 530 my cost

If we get a 5th pumpkin chainer we will all start to get a credit. This reminds me of the farm co-operatives.

You could try Irvine BMW, they did the LSD swap on both of Z8Bob's cars so they know the drill, but the guy who used to be very good at Z8's (Ernesto Heredia - 949 387 8320) has been promoted out of the shop into an desk job. Be warned he is really, really hard to get on the phone, and he is terrible at returning phone calls.
    Andrew Macpherson

I have asked MM to let me know what time frame to expect. As soon as I hear, I will schedule with my dealer. Told to expect a couple days. If Dogsbreath wants to be last, I can send mine down to you in CA rather than back to MM. That would keep things moving quickly.

Pumpkins

Hey 2112

I am easy on this issue. If you want to go next that is fine with me. Just make sure MM knows not to put my revised gearing in your diff (I am changing my ratios). I am still waiting for the Eisenamnns and would like to do all my work at the same time. Let me know your preference.

Dave P

I believe they are ready with mine w/o gear change. I ran with your earlier comment that you were waiting for the mufflers and told them I was next.

I will try to keep on this to make my turn around quick.

Pumpkin Pie

Thanks 2112

Sounds fine to me. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Dave P

I talked to Jim, He said he hopes to have my unit out the door by late next week. Then it is to my dealer for the swap.

PM me with a shipping address sometime in the next week or so.

I just recieved word from Metric Mechanic that the pumkin shipped today. I was told to expect it next thursday or Friday. I now need to get lined up with the top service tech at my dealer and get the open differential out to Dave P.

Sweet - thanks for the post. Maybe the Eisenmanns will be here by then (or maybe not).

Dave P

I recieved the 3rd member today. The top service tech is out next week but I am scheduled to start as soon as he returns the week after.

Are we settled on who gets it next? I will be ready to ship to CA for Dave, Just need an address.

Michael

Dave is next, but I think that the pumpkin goes back to MM for them to fit and prepare his unit - but better check with him that he sent his LSD to MM.

Ron pm'd me to say he wants to go at the back of the chain as he is waiting for some other stuff to clear.
    Andrew Macpherson

Hey Michael

Thanks. I am ready to go. Please send the unit to Metric Mechanic with a note saying it is for Dave Pledger. They already have my Quaife and revised gear ratios.

I will call Jim and Mary and let them know. If you could let me know the date it ships I would appreciate it.

Shipping Address:
    Metric Mechanic
    505 East Main
    Richland MO
    Phone: (573) 765-1269 Fax: (573) 765-4216

Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Thanks again

Dave P
    Last edited by Dogsbreath; December 15th 2006 at 13:55. Reason: missing info

Will do. I would expect to ship a week from tomorrow, thursday at the latest.

Dave, Shipped my pumpkin back to Metric Mechanic for your build. Let me know if you want the tracking #

Thanks Michael

I will let Metric Mechanic know. Much appreciated

Dave

Dave, the pumpkin has arrived at metric mechanic.

Thanks Michael

So Andrew - who do I send the pumpkin to when I have the new one installed ??

Dave P

Ron is next up I believe, and I think that he is having Metric Mechanic build his unit too, so I would say just ship it back to Jim, and ask him to hold it for Ron.
    Andrew Macpherson

The same or similar??

Bavauto has a Quaife differential for the Z8 on their website for $1500, available in a week's time.(part #30.309.170)
    "This unit is a direct replacement for the factory differential. Basically remove the differential cover, remove the differential, take
    the ring gear from your existing unit and mount it onto the Quaife and then shim it as necessary for proper gear mesh. "
    Is this similar to what you are doing with the pumpkin? Thanks for helping me understand the process.

After some delay due to ice storms in Missouri (the Metric Mechanics had no power for a week !) and a few other anomalies, my assembled diff arrived at my mechanic yesterday afternoon and is scheduled for install tomorrow morning. I will have the pumpkin sent out directly to Metric Mechanic for the next in line.

Dave P

It appears 1 month would be a more realistic turn around time frame.

Ken, I just realized your question went unanswered, but I'm not sure what unit they have/had so can't really compare the two.
    Andrew Macpherson

Still confused...

Below is the description as found on their website- it sounds to me just like what you are installing???

"The Quaife torque biasing differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?
    By getting the power to the ground!

The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheel spin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs."

Ken, the words could describe either unit...

what I would suggest is call them, and ask them to look at the LSD thread and tell you if the unit they have is the one in the first post, which is the older 540 unit that requires grinding down your diff housing, or the newer lightweight Z8 specific version shown in the second post.

They could be selling someone's unused unit, I remember seeing one up for sale on Roadfly a while back.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ron - The pumpkin has left Vegas for Metric Mechanic.

Dave P

any chance of a latecomer...

to the chain gang?

I've been away traveling and missed this one.

Many thanks,

Carl.

The more the merrier.

Please do & welcome to the chain!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

Is it still: "$390 to the email address [email protected]" ?

yes please, if you could PayPal me the $390 to [email protected]

You are now our 4th member, so we are now at the break even point on the cost of the new unit that started the chain, which MM billed me $1750 for. So far this is how it looks;
    macfly / 2112 / dogsbreath / biffom
    paypal cost split....3 x 390 =1170
    final deposit return...............500
    my cost..............................530

if Ron or anyone else joins in now we will just do a return dividend to each participant via PayPal..
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last