Thread: SF Bay Area Event on Monday, 18 Nov 2013: Z8s, Wine and Lunch

SF Bay Area Event on Monday, 18 Nov 2013: Z8s, Wine and Lunch

A group of six Z8s and one pristine 1963 split window Corvette met up at Thomas Fogarty winery in Woodside California. After introductions, we enjoyed sampling the wines on the beautiful grounds of the winery. A spirited drive to the coast followed with a late lunch at the Ritz Carlton completed a great day. Let's do it again in the New Year!

My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Had a great time! Nice to meet everyone and thanks Ed for organizing.
    -Jimmy C

Looks awesome, bravo to all for playing hooky on a Monday - what a perfect way to start the week!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Follow Up to Our Conversation

We talked about Roger's other car, and here's a picture of it I found from the shots I took at the 2013 Danville Concours. Absolutely stunning!
    Name:  _MG_3630_edited-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  167.4 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Wow. Could you post more pics of the E-type?

Looks like a series 2, stunning colors, and absolutely, more pix please!
    Andrew Macpherson

I am thinking it's a Series 1.5. Covered headlamps yet 4.2 motor....1967? Very rare color combination.

BTW, I'd say the lines of the Z8 more closely resemble the E Type in ways than the 507, both of which I have been up close and personal with. The round rear of the Z8 so draws inspiration from that round rear of the E and you have to give a nod to that long nose and covered headlamps of the Z8 / E type, right? Even the smallish Z8 door is reminiscent of the XKE ingress and egress.

One more image from the Danville Concours

Name:  _MG_3631_edited-2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  118.0 KB
    Here's the other shot I took in September of the E-type. As Roger described his Jag over a glass of wine yesterday, I recalled this car out of the all vehicles at the concours because the (stock) colors are so striking. Sorry I don't recall the details on the car other than he just completed the restoration prior to showing it.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8 Novice
    Hi all,

Susan and I had a great time. Very fun drive in the '63. Nice to meet some new folks. Thanks for organizing. Looking forward to the next one.....hopefully in the Z8.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Fast & Lazy View Post
    Hi all,

Susan and I had a great time. Very fun drive in the '63. Nice to meet some new folks. Thanks for organizing. Looking forward to the next one.....hopefully in the Z8.

Richard
    Hi Richard! The E has a 4.2 emblem on the trunk. The '63 had no rear emblem and a 3.8. Did they change the motor to a 4.2 with a synchro box? No pics of that gorgeous front end?

Z8 Novice
    The E-type is not my car. The '63 to which I refer is the '63 Corvette Sting Ray Split Window Coupe. Roger has the Jag but I don't know his forum name.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast & Lazy View Post
    The E-type is not my car. The '63 to which I refer is the '63 Corvette Sting Ray Split Window Coupe. Roger has the Jag but I don't know his forum name.
    Oh. That's a cool car. They discussed the split window coop at the Art Center reception a few weeks back and how the car came to be and why for so short a duration. What color is your car?

Yes, we finally have a Bay Area "chapter"! 7 cars is pretty good, and we have about five more that couldn't make it. Great roads, thanks to jimmy for leading the way at a "spirited" (hooligan) pace . Thanks Ed for getting this event on the books. Perhaps we'll do two events a year? The next one may be in the north bay or napa... Pope valley run? Auberge?

Here's a snapshot of the route we took from Fogarty's to the coast. Thanks for letting me suggest Pescadero Creek Rd over 84. I really do prefer it in the latter portion from La Honda to the Pacific. Lots of twisties and few bumps.
    Ian, I deny all culpability for the pace...I was simply trying to get out of your way...and couldn't

Attachment 8737
    -Jimmy C

Ian, I deny all culpability for the pace...I was simply trying to get out of your way...and couldn't
    Cheers to that!

Looking forward to the next Northern California event. Thank you Ian too for reaching out to your East Bay contacts! It was great to have that many Z8s at one event.
    My Best,

Ed

Ha! Yup, great day all around.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Oh. That's a cool car. They discussed the split window coop at the Art Center reception a few weeks back and how the car came to be and why for so short a duration. What color is your car?
    It's the yellow Vette in the photo posted in the initial post in this thread.

Cool color!

Sport Button On
    I'm late to the thread but wanted to echo the sentiments about the fun times. The road from Fogarty to HMB was awesome and I really enjoyed being toward the rear and getting to enjoy the view of the Z8s working through the twisties. Kudos to Jon for proving that you can lock your key in the trunk of a locked Z8 (glad it worked it out well)!

Onto the Jaguar, it is my car and is a '67 4.2L OTS that was from the end of the production run of the Series 1 cars. The exterior color is called Cotswold Blue which was a standard factory color from '61 through '64. The way Jaguar worked back in the '60s, an Etype buyer could have ordered a car in a standard color for that year or in a color that was available in a prior year. So, while Cotswold was not a standard color in '67, it was a color that could have been specified for a '67. My car was orginally red/black, but since the color combination is not included on the build plate attached to the car, it is not uncommon for owners to change the colors (I restored the car during 2012/13). It is a somewhat unusual color but I think it is perfect for a 60s era Jaguar.

Series 1 Etype values have gone a bit nutso in the last year. Etypes were long undervalued and have been sort of discovered by people who are/were priced out of the 60s era Ferraris and Astons that the car competed with in period. There are still good Etypes to be had for relatively low dollars but with a number of documented sales of Series 1 cars at well over $250K, that window is either closing or there is a bubble that is about to pop. I think it is the fomer but I've been wrong many times before.

Here are some pics. I will try to take some pics of the Z8 and the Etype together.

OMG! That is one of the most beautiful and stunning E Types I have ever seen! That color combination is absolutely incredible! I have a '63 that I'm doing a Resto Mod on (E.g., installing the all aluminum 4 valve straight six injected XJR motor, etc. Polar silver over bordeaux.

Sport Button On
    Thanks for the hat tip on the car. I was nervous when committing to the color combination but it came out better than expected. I should note that the car was done locally by Dave Ferguson @ a shop called Images down in Campbell. He's a great resource and has done over 100 Etypes.

No risk, no reward, right? Great choice! Stunning yet classic.

It is simply stunning, I absolutely love it, bravo!
    Andrew Macpherson

I didn't realize that color was unusual - I have a friend with an XK150 in that color that he wins prizes with. Looking back at some of his Jaguar meetup photos, I realize that his car is the only one in that color. It is a great color.

The Z8 would work in Cotswold blue too, if anyone's looking for a new color

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    I didn't realize that color was unusual - I have a friend with an XK150 in that color that he wins prizes with. Looking back at some of his Jaguar meetup photos, I realize that his car is the only one in that color. It is a great color.

The Z8 would work in Cotswold blue too, if anyone's looking for a new color
    The XK 140/150 does look great in Cotswold. There is something about the flat pastels that just work on 50s/60s cars. Please post up a pic or two of your friends' XK if you have them - would love to see them.

Here's one - I think the chrome goes really well with this color

Tom, the only thing that would make that car any better, would be a red interior! Love that color, it would look great on a z8.

On the subject of very pretty vintage Jags, this one just came up at Fantasy Junction.
    Andrew Macpherson