Thread: The Petersen Museum

The Petersen Museum

As many of you know I grew up in a car museum, literally, so I always feel like something of a critic and an expert when going to museums. The relaunch of the Petersen is exceptionally well done, but also a little cold compared to the wonderful Nerthercut and Mullin collections. Both those collections lent their star cars to the Petersen for the reopening, as did Bruce Malone. (A review of his private collection will be coming soon too).

There are a lot of amazing cars there, as you can see below. The first set shows the Grand Hall, with the streamlined classics of the between the war period. After those that's Steve McQueen's XKSS, which we've seen at the Quail before, followed by a nod to the beginnings of the car, which is well over a 100 years ago now. There's a few race cars, then a mis-mash of all kinds of odds and ends that have defined traffic in LA for the last 50 years or so. Then there's a trio of American concept cars, and some BMW Art Cars, followed lastly by a room which begs the question, how do you get 300 million into a single room, you fill it with silver of course. The last set shows the special re-opening show 'Precious Metal' - which is of course all silver cars, including Mr Bond's most celebrated one, and a glorious chorus of McLaren, Ferrari, MB Silver Arrows, etc, etc, etc.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

And the two wheeler got a nice showing too, with a fun display showing 2, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder variants, and a wide range of V-Twins, including maybe the most glorious bike ever built, the magical and way ahead of its time Britten race bike from New Zealand. Only 10 were made before John Britten succumbed to cancer, but I got to see it win at Daytona in 1995, it's one of the most glorious sounds, and bikes I've ever seen.

Andrew Macpherson

Wow! Thanks, Andrew! Nice to have a real photographer when you need one!

: )

I had reason to pop back over to the Petersen this week, and was happy to see a smattering of nice BMW's in celebration of the century, and also that there were some changes to the 'Precious Metal' set shown in the previous post. Here's a few iPhone snaps....

Andrew Macpherson