Thread: The Nethercutt Museum, Oct 10 2009

The Nethercutt Museum, Oct 10 2009

Six Z8's from the board made it to Mel's Drive Inn for an eggy breakfast, followed by a short blat up the freeway to sunny Silmar, a seriously grim part of LA that I'd never seen before, and wouldn't rush back to! In the midst of not much and tall telegraph poles is the home of the incredible Nerthercutt Museum, Collection and restoration workshop. They have over 225 cars and a steam train, spread between three buildings.

In the shots below you can follow our tour, which started in the basement of Collection building. Once we'd been told to follow our guide, and keep up, we were marched upstairs to the main floor, which our guide proudly said was modeled after a 1920's era car showroom. It looked a lot like Vegas to me, but anyway the goodies were great! The star of the main room was the famous Dusenberg Twenty Thousand, (I'd never heard of it either!) it's the big pale grey car in middle of the floor. After admiring the many concours winning beauties for the allotted five minutes we were ordered upstairs to the trophy room.

This splendid mezzanine is full of the endless prizes from countless concours. The Nethercutts like to win, and they make sure you know they are serious winners! After that we were shepherded up a strangely spiral staircase into the mechanical musical instruments collection on the top floor for a series of short demo-concerts played by the circa 1900-1930 music machines, all of which was very impressive.

Then we headed off for a picnic break in a nearby park a few blocks away organized by the lovely folks of the LA Chapter of the BMW CCA. We even picked up another Z8 who came up from the OC, making a seven car line up for lunch. After lunch there was a raffle, but I know it was rigged, there were more Z8's than all the other CCA cars put together, but not one Z8 won anything!

After lunch we returned to do a tour of the main museum building with around 120 stunning cars displayed on a seriously ugly carpet! I had a really hard time understanding how a car collection of such worth, restored so exquisitely with such incredible workmanship to the concours winning condition with no expense spared, is displayed on that carpet. Whoever did that interior needs to be sent to the Blackhawk immediately!

After that everyone scattered, so I took Chuck up to the Top Of The World to set him off on a tour of the Malibu mountains. Chuck, sorry again for the lack of dinner, but things just kind of all fell apart. The dogs were very happy to see me, and get their afternoon hike in too! Hope you have a great drive back home tomorrow, and look forward to seeing you in Palm Springs!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Chuck, sorry again for the lack of dinner, but things just kind of all fell apart. The dogs were very happy to see me, and get their afternoon hike in too! Hope you have a great drive back home tomorrow, and look forward to seeing you in Palm Springs!
    Yeah, we owe Chuck, but we'll get a chance to make it up to him in Palm Springs.

That "20 Grand" Duesenberg is simply orgasmic.

Great to see everyone again and look forward to "Toys for Tots" when we'll get a chance for a proper drive/lunch outing.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Sorry from me too Chuck. It was a really fun day but it was a long trip for you to make to have half of our plans fall apart. But, as Carlos said, Palm Springs next February will more than make it up to you. Alright Z8'ers, it is time to start thinking about if you are going or not. We want to book a block of rooms by the end of next month. The hotel has a cancellation policy, so if you decide to not go at the last minute, you will get back your one night's deposit.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Hello all. I enjoyed the trip and company and the car show. Thank you andrew for your directions i really had some fun on the roads you
    pointed me to. I drove up the pch past malibu and then back to l.a. Stopped at a nice resturant and had a great time watching the waves.
    See you all in palm springs chuck (lkychuk)

Chuck, happy you got home safely. Let us know if you get that second Z8 too! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.