Thread: Monterey '08 - part 2 - Thurs & Fri

Talking Monterey '08 - part 2 - Thurs & Fri

------------------------------------------------

Thursday: - 14th
    7.00am breakfast for those staying at the Marroitt.
    8.00am depart from the Marriott
    8.15am meet at the Crossroad's Mall opposite the Chevron station 1 light south of Carmel Valley Rd for the Z8 drive. We will pass through the Hunter Liggett Military base,
    After leaving the base drive north on Highway 1, thru Big Sur to Carmel Highlands.
    12.00pm lunch for 47 at the Highland Inn.
    8.00pm dinner for 52 at Montrio which is right by the hotel.

Friday: - 15th
    7.30am. breakfast for those staying at the Marroitt.
    8.30am depart from the Marriott
    9.00am arrive at the Quail, organize and photograph our cars.
    10.00am the week's highlight event, The Quail.
    The PGYA Rally takes place in the mid afternoon to join or just watch after the Quail.
    6.00pm the 250 strong BMW CCA dinner at Rancho Canada. We'll line our Z8's up on display for the BMW CCA.

Thursday, and it's the greatest USA Z8 drive of them all!

Our cars got some fancy company in the hotel, this is a one off private commission Ferrari special that got a lot of attention in the motoring press the year it was delivered. Interesting, but not as pretty as a Z8!

Once we left the hotel our drive started out in Carmel Valley, heading inland away from the thick, cold fogs into the bright and baking Coastal Range, and on over to the other side into the agricultural Central Valley before turning back towards the coast again. On the return we headed through the Hunter Liggett army base and on into the Los Padres National Forest where we out temp gauges showed 99? before dropping back down to the coast, the fog and 59?!

There are also thirty more images over in the Gallery.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I knew I would kick myself for not making the trip, these pictures just confirmed that I was right! Have a great trip.

Thumbs up Monterey '08 - Friday 15 - The Quail, the best of the best!

A stunning day out at the Quail, which is by far the most enjoyable, elegant and well done car show I've attended in the USA, and it is on a par with the wonderful Villa D'Este event in Europe.

The pictures don't show the oysters being opened, the Russian caviar and champagne being passed around, the five or six restaurants serving different kinds of delicious foods, all the exquisite jewelry, and private jet time share company stands. The pictures also don't show that the tickets to this totally exclusive event were selling for $1600 each on eBay the week before the event, and that no other car group has ever been given the special treatment we got. Look at that parking space our group was given right by the main entrance!

What the pictures do show is the biggest group of Z8's ever assembled in the USA, we had 32 cars.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    it's a hard life
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

I have posted some photos of the Quail, Pacific Grove Rally and Laguna Seca at:

http://web.me.com/scottpettit1/Bay_A...erey_2008.html

They are not great photos but if you weren't there, they are OK.

By far, the Pacific Grove Rally was the best event of the weekend. Cars are made to be driven and enjoyed and that is what we did. This years marque was BMW and I took the "Best BMW" plaque. For a guy who doesn't enter car shows, I was a bit surprised. The rally was followed by an incredible dinner and entertainment.

This was my first PG Rally and it is on my calendar for next year.

Scott Pettit

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    All I can say is WOW!!!!. I had the most fun I have ever had. The trip was just incredible!! Everything was just perfect; meals were superb, the drives and events spectacular, the cars gorgeous and, most important of all, the owners some of the nicest people I have ever met. It is something I will remember for the rest of my life. Thank you again to Andrew and Ian and Jurgen and any others I may have missed on the amazing job you did putting this all together for us. And thanks to all of the new friends I made on the trip.

Team Z8

It was an hour of persuading the 507 owner...

but he understood how much we wanted the picture and was a really nice guy to meet us for a few quick pics.

Team Z8

A couple more pics from the Quail.

A quick set up of the remaining cars as the afternoon comes to a close.

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    All I can say is WOW!!!!. I had the most fun I have ever had. The trip was just incredible!! Everything was just perfect; meals were superb, the drives and events spectacular, the cars gorgeous and, most important of all, the owners some of the nicest people I have ever met. It is something I will remember for the rest of my life. Thank you again to Andrew and Ian and Jurgen and any others I may have missed on the amazing job you did putting this all together for us. And thanks to all of the new friends I made on the trip.
    I'll second that. I've been to Monterey on Concours weekend about 12 times over the past 20 years and this was by far the most memorable and I've had some really great ones. What a great group of gents and ladies. I had to have Ron Wilson move his car one night at 11:30 pm. Called his room and there was no hesitation whatsoever. All he said was "I'll be right down," and he was!

Man, I'm having withdrawals.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Thanks guys (and gals), it was great having everyone. Like meet-in-the-middle, it really is a trip you will remember for a lifetime.

Ian you did such an awesome job on the books, plans, caps, emblems, badges, tee shirts, route maps, and Napa plans, without your incredible generosity the trip would have ben less than half as special, and without your help it wouldn't have happened at all!

I'm having really bad withdrawls too, not only for the friends, the drives and the time in the Z8, but also the planning, which has been such a big part of my life for the last 14 months that I'm having Z8 cold turkey real bad!

The only cure is more days in the saddle on some beautiful roads.
    Where next?
    Now there's a fun thought!
    Andrew Macpherson

The Pacific Northwest area is both sunny and warm (but not overly hot) at this time of year, lots of mountains etc. Some great driving roads too.

No 1200 mile round trip for us would make this a great location.

Start planning!

You start planning - I've done my two big Z8 trips, and even though I loved every moment of it, that is all I'm up for.
    It is now someone else's turn to take the batten.
    Andrew Macpherson

You got that right....need to focus on work for now to fund the habit!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You start planning - I've done my two big Z8 trips, and even though I loved every moment of it, that is all I'm up for.
    It is now someone else's turn to take the batten.
    I'm planning a ski trip early next year with my sons to Sun Valley or Jackson Hole and it hit me, maybe what we need is the first annual Z8 (without Z8s) ski trip.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

I might be up for that Carlos if I can get my 20 yr old to join me.....haven't even begun to look that far out yet. But don't count on me yet. Let me know when you plan to go, and I'll wait and see.

Sounds like fun, Carlos. Add the ex-Texans to the list.
    thegunguy

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Do they have bunny slopes for those of us who may be challenged?

The 507 was awesome to get a photo op with.

Here are a few more from the trip. The Quail was definitely The Best of the Best.

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I like that old timey photo

yea, me too, I thought it added a good sense of yesteryear.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

By the way, about the deer.... with my luck I would have parked in front of plastic pink flamingos.

Scott

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    I might be up for that Carlos if I can get my 20 yr old to join me.....haven't even begun to look that far out yet. But don't count on me yet. Let me know when you plan to go, and I'll wait and see.
    Ian, our trip will be in late Jan. or early Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Sounds like fun, Carlos. Add the ex-Texans to the list.
    Sweet. I would be willing to take the lead in doing some planning although there would not been much to do on a ski trip.

Been to Sun Valley a few times, but never to Jackson Hole. So, if the concensus is Jackson Hole, then I might need to do some advanced scounting or get some help from someone that's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Do they have bunny slopes for those of us who may be challenged?
    There are always bunny slopes. Also, the last time we went to Sun Valley (bunch of years ago) we rented snowmobiles one day and had an awsome time. Oh yeah, and there are some great bars in Ketchum, Idaho.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Is she Pretty????(LMAO)

Veeerrry funny Joe! My son, that is.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    To Everyone at Monterey, it was a great time and good to see the people behind the names. Thanks for all the planning, the shirts, the hats and the memories. Take care Edy and Erik

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    What others had to say about The Quail:

http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/1016
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

That article is a must read for everyone...

-- but the actual experience is, well...... priceless.
    Best Regards,

Jeff