Thread: Mendocino Weekend

Mendocino Weekend

Held for future writeup on an ever growing weekend in Mendocino.

A few tastes from this wonderful place...

thegunguy

Wow, looks stunning, and you missed those heavy summer fogs that can blanket that coast too!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The fog has been doing it's daily cycle thing (out in late morning, in the afternoon), but we were treated to an uncommon sunset yesterday. This is definitely a trip to repeat with a small group sometime.

Now it's time to figure out where to stash a couple of cases of wine. The Z8 trunk needs an expansion feature like luggage.
    thegunguy

Looks amazing (nice photos!)

I wish I had known you were coming. I have in inn here as well for future consideration. I am selling a TT to some folks from Santa Barbera and they mentioned, while looking over my garage, that they had seen a bl/red z8 in town.
    Anyone coming up or down the coast and coming through Mendocino, please drop me a line in advance at [email protected]

Happy to discount lodging for z8 folks as well. John

I feel a Mendo trip coming on!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Just gorgeous. I really love the M5 wheels on your car. Really look the part. Are you trying to intentionally silhouette the car in the sunset pics? Thats the one critical comment I would make- if possible to setup some kind of lighting to brighten up the car, otherwise they are really really nice pictures.

if possible to setup some kind of lighting to brighten up the car
    Now you understand why photographers favor silver cars! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

The car definitely created a stir all weekend. I think I could have paid for the room if I had set up a tip jar for all the photos people took passing it on the street. John, which inn is yours? We stayed at both the MacCallum House (one of the their vacation rentals) and Mendocino Hotel. I only booked a few days in advance on a whim. So, there wasn't a whole lot of choice, especially with the music festival going on. It would have been nice to hook up. We'll definitely be back.

Yeah, I like the effect of just the silhouette, capturing the highlight on the top of the curves. Being RAW, I could certainly brighten it some, but I actually pushed it the other way going for just the single highlight. I've always liked those Infiniti adds withe the top of the car represented in calligraphy brush strokes. The recent 5 series introduction with the floating balls was cool too. I didn't have too much time to work the science on taking the sunset photos as we were on the way to dinner when I noticed the sunset. My gracious girlie had enough patience for me to grab a few quick snaps while she stood to the side in a dress and heels in the evening wind coming onshore. So, setting up lighting would meant for a lonely dinner.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Just lovely!

Fantastic Rifle, You know, I almost took a job there once upon a time! Just beautiful.

I like the last photo - the outline of your black Z8 by the sky reflection is stunning, as if it was "penned" like the black ones in the Fisker Art posters.

Looking forward to seeing you soon and catching up --
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

You too, Jeff. I'm excited to see you and Cindy soon. Now that you're supporting the Malibu economy we might even get to see more of each other!
    thegunguy

It's taken a while for me to continue posting photos/info from Mendocino. I thought some of these might serve as inspiration for the potential run back from OR that is being proposed for next August.

The first two photos are from MacCallum House. It's a lovely inn in the heart of Mendocino with a great restaurant. The have numerous rooms, and we ended up in one of their vacation rentals that is actually a good size house (second photo).

The third photo is the vacation home owned by John (riverflyer), here on the board. The house is wonderfully quaint and spacious. I took my mother and family (hence the X5) there for three days, and we loved the 'cabin in the woods' feel. It has three comfortable bedrooms and a kitchen stocked with everything you need. As such, we cooked most every night. John also has an inn and spa in town as well. He was kind enough to give us a Z8 discount for our stay. Contact him if you're in the area.

I'd definitely do MacCallum again, but supporting a fellow Z8er is my preference!

thegunguy

This is a series of shots from around the town of Mendocino. As you likely know, it's a quaint costal town in northern California. Being on the coast, the weather is ever changing. We had dense fogs and warm sunny days. It's truly a magical little spot on the coast that has a bit of a Cape Cod feel with relaxed California charm.

Mendocino is literally covered in lush gardens of many beautiful and unique plants and flowers. Almost around every corner you will find a new rainbow of colors. In addition, as there is no water system, the whole town functions on wells, and there are many wooden cisterns and water towers that dot the rooftops.

The view of the coastline over the field of grasses is actually from Main Street. The patriotic Z8 is parked at a hotel just behind.

The first three shots are actually from the amazingly capable iPhone 4. It's really quite stunning in its ability to produce well exposed and detailed shots.

thegunguy

Lastly, I thought I'd include a few snaps form some of the fun to be had around the area.

The first three shots are from Goldeneye, one of the wonderful wineries in the Anderson Valley just south and inland. It's a charming little valley that is far more relaxed than the typical destinations of Napa or Sonoma, and due to it's climate it yields some stunning Pinot Noir. As you can see, we enjoyed a pleasant lunch in the gardens at Goldeneye. The staff are friendly and inviting - even asking us to do a barrel tasting.

The remaining shots are from the coast and the Point Cabrillo light station, just minutes north of town.

That's the charm of Mendocino. It's a pleasant spot to just chill, or there are many fun things to do within a short drive. It should make for an excellent evening stop on the return from Oregon.

thegunguy

Wow, I wanna go!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Nice reflection of the flag on the car. Save that pic for future patriotic displays. Very appropriate on 9/11
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

It's been 10 years since I was last there. I was up in Fort Bragg for a business meeting and stayed in Mendocino for two days. Your pictures really capture its "quaintness." The drive back through the redwoods was amazing.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Z8Mania
    Beautiful!!!