Thread: A useful bit of info on our soft tops...

A useful bit of info on our soft tops...

The entire design of the soft top, even the frame under the canvas, changed during the run, and the Mk ll top was meant to have cured all the issues like the string breaks and the rear window fabric flap coming unglued.

I don't have the exact VIN of the change, but it was before 61888, which is mine, as I have the Mk ll top. If you order a replacement it will most likely be one of these, as BMW took all the Mk l's out of circulation because of all their troubles. However if you have a VIN greater than mine I'd love to hear if you've had any issues, or if your top has been perfect.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Mk II soft top

How can you determine if you have the MkI or the MkII top? (I have #61874). I've had a problem with the rear window and am scheduled for a new window installation- should I insist on a new MkII if I have a MkI?

Yes, your car has the Mkll top....

so if you have only a screen problem that is very easy to swap out.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I put the soft top up and down every time I drive the car and have not had any problems thus far. I have a 2001 number 60903.

My Alpina (Jul 03) had the problem with the window fabric coming unglued so that particular issue was not corrected by then. After having it repaired at BMW a couple of times, it appears that their last repair may have done the trick. It's been over a year since the last repair. (Knock on wood!)

Z8 Novice

A useful bit of info on our softtops

The fabric above the rear window on my Alpina opened up last spring. The dealer's fix lasted about 2 weeks. It is back in the shop for the heater problems and they will try again.