Thread: Leather Care update

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Leather Care update

I need to choose a new leather cleaner/conditioner. While there were a few comments on favorite brands up to about a year ago, I'd like to get an update and hear from others what they are using successfully. What's your favorite brand/type of leather treatment?

I'm not a usual fan of Griot's, but I do like their leather products.
    thegunguy

I've tried a lot of products over the years in various cars and these are my favorites. Both are low sheen (important for me with black leather) and very easy to use.

Spinneybeck Leather Conditioner and Cleaner:

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...arCareProducts

Great write-up on how to care for your leather seats here... Key points are to make sure seats are warm before appyling product (so that the leather can absorb the product) and use sparingly:

http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm

I also like the Z-10 leather in a bottle from Zaino. Also low sheen and very easy to use:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13

Quote Originally Posted by zilver8 View Post
    I also like the Z-10 leather in a bottle from Zaino. Also low sheen and very easy to use.
    http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13
    Forgot about Zaino. Their leather stuff is good too.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Several years ago I was advised to avoid the Lexol product of that time because it apparently would break down the factory protectant on the leather. This is going to sound not as good as if I would do it myself, but Ive been busy so, I've been sending her to a great detailing shop once a year and I have them do a full top to bottom detail including leather. I believe they make their own product, I could find out what they are using and get back- so far so good in my case. Btw- I do "maintenance" washes and speed shines, but I just dont have the time for a big 6-10 hour clay bar deal.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey2 View Post
    I need to choose a new leather cleaner/conditioner. While there were a few comments on favorite brands up to about a year ago, I'd like to get an update and hear from others what they are using successfully. What's your favorite brand/type of leather treatment?
    I strongly recommend Leatherique. I've used it on all my BMWs for years and the leather in all is in fantastic shape. Do an Internet research and you'll get the real skinny on the other stuff and Leatherique.

Someone else mentioned to stay away from Lexol; I second that for the same reason.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    How about the stuff from BMW? That's what I use and I like it, in particular the smell of it. It's mostly a conditioner, but my car, with near zero use, doesn't really need much cleaning.
    Name:  BMWleather.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  5.3 KB
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Z8Mania
    I was told the BMW stuff is safe and good. I use it too.

Thumbs up Leatherique is the way to go !

To date, I have used Mother's leather cleaner / conditioners at least every 3-4 months and at least once per year, for deep cleaning and conditioning, I have used Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

For the most part, I have been satisfied but over the last year or so, I have noticed that the leather is getting more stiff and hard with a bit of a shine to the finish and no longer maintaining it's original supple feel and finish. I spoke with a few of my local car friends and they just said, "oh, it's just the "patina" and for the most part, agreed as the Z8 is now 9 years old with 56,000 original miles (yeah.... that has been a blast !! )

However, the "patina", and look was also existing on the passenger seat and since that rarely has anyone in it, it started to bother me that the leather was aging faster than I wanted. Then..... I saw ///MBlitz's pristine 1988 M6 at the Legends of the Autobahn at Pebble Beach this summer. The leather, and there is alot of leather in that car for those who may not know it, well.... it was perfect. Soft, supple and still smelled of leather. This was NOT restored leather but the original leather. Considering I also have a 1988 M6 that is in great shape, I was very intriqued with what he used to maintain the leather look and feel. The leather in my M6 as still in good shape and also original but was much firmer and hard.

///MBlitz said he ONLY uses Leatherique products and has always done so, even on his Z8. After seeing his M6, I decided to give it a try on the Z8.

WOW is my impression. I just finished and the leather in the Z8 has returned to it's original look and feel and smell !!!! I posted some pics of the process but they really do not do it justice and you have to see it to believe the difference.

The process is kind of mess with the application of the Rejuvinator and I decided to tape off the carpet, similar to what you would do if painting something, in order to keep from spilling it product over onto the carpet or other surfaces like the speakers and I did apply the product with a soft brush as it just seem easier to do, given the contours of the Z8 interior. I then worked it into the leather by hand as recommended by the manufacturer. Set it outside in the sun ALL day for the recommended steam room effect and then warm water rags with the Pristine Clean product and buff. Total time, about 12 hours including the ALL day sun steam room.

I would HIGHLY recommend and I am now a convert !!!

Oh, yeah, a definite beer was in order after completion !

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Wow!!! Looks great.

Did you only use the rejuvenator product?
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

The process calls for you to cover with the Rejuvenator, which when you bake it (closed top, creating the steam room effect in direct sun), will then penetrate the leather and displace the impurities, salts, perspiration, dirts, etc. You then wipe off using the Pristine Clean product with a warm water soaked clean cloth. Allow to dry, and buff with a soft lint free cloth. I first wiped off the majority of the Rejuvenator with the warm water soaked cloths as it was pretty thick then applied the Pristine Clean product the buffed the leather. Looks and feels fantastic. The dirts and sweat really do work their way to the surface of the Rejuvenator and I was pretty impressed.

Other than taping off the carpet and plastics (it is plastic safe, I just wanted to control the application), the other tip I would offer is instead of using the same warm water soaked cloths to clean with (wiping off , rinsing, then wiping and rinsing again and again, just get 8 - 10 rags, pre-wet in hot water, then just wipe away and grab a new one when needed. Same when applying the Pristine Clean product. Just makes faster work of it. Also, when the top is down, to avoid getting the Rejuvenator on the folded top when applying to the back of the roll hoops, be sure to cover the top with a thick towel to keep from getting Rejuvenator or Pristine Clean on the headliner.

Fair amount of work compared to typical leather products but in my opinion, well worth the effort with fantastic results.
    Last edited by Z8doc; October 9th 2011 at 18:03. Reason: spelling
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Excellent job! I particularly like all the blue painters tape. Be careful though or soon your friends will point and laugh and the wife will chuckle when you walk by. No wait, that's me; nevermind.

BTW, on my non-daily drivers I let the rejuvenator sit on the leather until it dries on its own rather than have the sun rush it. The sun (or blow dryer) bit is more for daily drivers, where you have no choice.

I find that if the rejuvenator stays on the leather for a week or two, it makes it softer and more supple. It also adds a real nice interior scent. I did my M3 last weekend and when I checked it yesterday, the leather was quite wet (with rejuvenator), so I'll let it sit in the garage for another week. On my daily driver X5, I have to put rejuvenator on Saturday, let the sun dry it during the day and clean it with pristine on Sunday because it has to be ready for use on Monday.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Great advice.

I'll try this after our December drive.

Thank You
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Thanks for the tip, I pretty much did the sun rush bit on Saturday, but let it sit over night till Sunday to do the rest. I will consider letting it sit till it dries next time or maybe in the M6. That is my next project. Like we discussed in Monterey, my M6 leather is quite a bit stiffer than yours so it may benefit from sitting longer. Also, plan to redye and repair the cracks in the driver seat bolsters too. It is my winter project and I will keep you posted on it's progress.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Great instructions, thanks. Sounds like the perfect winter project. Carlos, do you apply it once a year to each car?

It depends on use. On the Z8 and M6, which we drive around 1K miles per year, I do it once a year. But on the M3 and 7er, which we drive around 3-5K miles per year, and the X5, which we drive 12-15K per year, I do it twice.

C. Do you mask it all off like Jeff? Does the tape leave any residue at all?

I don't mask. I just wipe the rejuvenator off from adjacent plastic and vinyl pieces with a microfiber after I'm done. I've been using the stuff for about 15 years and there has been no damage to those adjacent pieces; in fact, while it's not what I use to dress/protect vinyl and plastic parts, it's not a bad dressing.

Carlos, How do you apply the Rejunenator? It says to paint it on or pour on and apply with your hands. How do you keep from getting it all over the carpet (which is why I masked it off, to keep it from getting into the speaker grills or all over the aluminum trim, etc).

BTW, when you do your M6, how do you apply it to the all leather headliner to keep it from dripping?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I start by thowing a few towels over the carpets just in case. Then, I cup my left hand (I'm righthanded) and pour about a teaspoon or so of rejuvenator while my hand is over the seat (a large area), that way any excess will drip onto the seat. Then, I rub my hands together gently so as to not to splatter and apply it.

With this technique, I don't get rejuvenator dripping down from the M6 headliner or the a-pillar posts, etc. on the Z8 and M6. As far as the plastic parts on the Z8, like the a/c vents or plastic inserts, I don't worry too much. I wipe them off with a microfiber moist with Meguair's or Mothers quick detailer after I'm done.

Z8Mania
    Wow Jeff, I admire your attention to detail and prep work. It always pays off in the end. I just don't have the time these days so I have the pros, a really excellent shop nearby, do my detail work and I just do quick speed shine washes in between. When my schedule opens up more Ill do my own work once again.

I applied the leatherique product with great results in terms of appearance and of softness to the touch. I used a small 1 1/2 inch paintbrush to apply the rejuvenator and followed up with rubbing the product into the leather by hand. Thanks for the recommendation!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I just put in an order to do the Z8 and the X5 in the coming weeks. As you all know the Z8 has a staggering amount of leather for smaller car. My X5M has the extended leather option, which means they wrapped anything that would stay still long enough. It's super soft Nappa. So, it should really respond to Leatherique too.

I ordered 32oz of both products, which should be enough to do both cars, and after talking to Carlos, I'll be following his hand applied approach.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Very nice!

The Leatherique products do a great job! I used them last fall for the first time and was thrilled with the results. I thought my interior looked good beforehand so I was a bit skeptical about all the great product claims but the seats came out looking amazing... it cleans really well and left an amazing low sheen and rich color.

I still don't quite understand. If modern leathers are sealed (coated) how can a topical treatment permeate? Christian, can you explain please?

Good question, Ian.

I will post my 5 cents worth in this matter over the Easter weekend.

Best regards,

Christian
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8