Thread: I see a hardtop for sale on the Bay...

I see a hardtop for sale on the Bay...

Hi there everyone - I saw this hardtop listed on eBay and the listing is from San Francisco. Does this appear to be a legit hardtop and does anyone know who owns it? I'm going to spare you the reason why I might be interested.
    Thanks all,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263591710385?ul_noapp=true
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Hard to tell if its a fake, but I'd guess the best way is to get someone local to look at it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Would be also interesting to know how the seller had it hanging around his garage. Previous owner? Why not included in the sale?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I don't know the seller Greg. I am surprised there is no storage stand too, which the buyer would need. Since your local to the seller, check out the tips near the rear window for storage damage without the stand before purchasing.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Thanks all. It's too sketchy. No pictures of the headliner, no stand, mention of "another top for my car" but no car. Could be bad marketing or something else. I'm going to pass.

I sent a message for the seller - let's see if I get a response.

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Do fake hardtops exist?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    I sent a message for the seller - let's see if I get a response.

I did receive communication(s) back today from the seller. Sounds like the one on eBay is selling for the owner of the car who according to the response has a 2000 Z8 and only wants to sell the top, not the car. I believe the original post implied that the person has two tops (as it says "not needing another top", but not sure. The responder also stated that he would get more detailed pictures. Sounds legit at this point. Greg - I'll keep us posted, but if you are looking to get one this might be one to look at. Let's see what responses / pictures we get. I'll ask about the stand as well. According to the eBay add it is located in San Francisco.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Hi, everyone. Does anyone know the seller of this silver hardtop in NJ? I'm still looking for one. Thanks!
    Greg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/183386052984?ul_noapp=true

- - - Updated - - -

Geez, I never saw the reply to this post. Normally I get an email when someone replies to a thread I've posted in. Anyway, thanks for your efforts!
    Greg

Greg - why don’t you send a message through EBay to the seller asking for information on the history of the top as there is none in his posting. It looks quite good in the pictures. Would love to know the story!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

I will. Just thought if the seller was on this board, or someone on the board knew him / the car / the top, it would give me some comfort. Ask me about my experience with an eBay scam (on a watch not a car) some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregesq View Post
    I will. Just thought if the seller was on this board, or someone on the board knew him / the car / the top, it would give me some comfort. Ask me about my experience with an eBay scam (on a watch not a car) some day.
    Sounds like there is a not so great story... however, the board must have NJ residents that might be more than happy to check it out for you in person once you have had some contact with the poster and if you still have interest. The Porsche enthusiasts on the Rennlist board call it a “RennFax” when a member close to the car away from the interested party is being checked in person on a volunteer base. I am quite sure that someone from our community would check it for you in person. While not a formal “MacFax”, it could remove your conserns.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Greg, I am not far from Lincoln Park and would be happy to check out the top if you are interested.Bill

How do you wish to proceed? Do you want to make the initial contact, or should I? If the seller wants to contact me to set up a time, my cell is (973) 270-3608.

A few years ago a black hardtop came up for sale in Westchester county, NY, about 45 minutes from where I live. The guy was selling it pretty cheaply, I gave it some thought even though I already had one, but ultimately passed. Mainly figured I don't need any more "stuff" kicking around the garage or basement. I think it ended up selling for just a few hundred dollars, but immediately popped up on EBAY in the $4k range, where it sat for a long time. The point of my story is that the market for these is pretty thin, you might consider throwing him a low bid and seeing what happens.

Hi, I contacted the seller. He's willing to have it inspected. He says he's selling it for his dad, so he doesn't have all the details of my questions. But he says the condition is excellent because it was stored and wasn't in use. Anyway, thank you for the cell. Let me know a good time to talk and I will call you. Best,Greg

You can call me this evening if it works for you.Bill

will do, thanks Bill.

Other than inspecting the points, looking for scratches and dings, and checking the condition of the headliner, are there any specific things you want me to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Other than inspecting the points, looking for scratches and dings, and checking the condition of the headliner, are there any specific things you want me to look for?
    Greg - do you have the locking tool and plastic covers for the side pillar? If not, it might be worth asking if they come with the top. I am assuming you never had a top and might not have these either.

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Hi Skip - I’ve asked Bill to check on those! Thank you!

Z8 Novice
    Hi guys

I’m new to this forum so please be kind
    I have a OEM Z8 hardtop that is major scratches on the left side rear end but nothing too serious.
    If you are looking for one, pm me or ask me on this thread.
    I’m happy to answer your question always!
    Please note, this item will be shipped from japan worldwide. And 100% OEM!!

Z8 Novice

Seems you are having problems with your images, email them [email protected] and I'll post them for you.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks macfly.He added to the sale section for me.If you are interested buying it, contact me.