Thread: Driver side lower seat trim

Driver side lower seat trim

Hello,

My Z8 is a 2002, Silver on Black. I noticed a slight vertical crack on the driver side lower outer seat trim; I am not sure how it happened. I believe the part #52108268285; I am looking for the silver/gray color panel and it looks like it has been discontinued? I found 2 other colors: Black and Beige. Can anyone direct me to an overseas parts supplier that may have the Gray color? Thanks!

I checked several addresses ( including BMW Classicshop) but the not available at the moment. It probably will take some time but it will be in stock. The only parts that are discontinued are the carpets.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    I checked several addresses ( including BMW Classicshop) but the not available at the moment. It probably will take some time but it will be in stock. The only parts that are discontinued are the carpets.
    Ok, I hope they will be available; thanks!

BMW Classic in Munich should be able to supply them, itís my understanding that they have taken over the long term care of the Z8.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    BMW Classic in Munich should be able to supply them, itís my understanding that they have taken over the long term care of the Z8.
    Thanks Andrew for your input; I checked their website; they have the right side trim (primed finish) but not the left side; what a bummer! I have to figure out a way to just fix the crack. Is it possible that BMW in Germany offers this part?

Is it possible that BMW in Germany offers this part?
    They also order at BMW Classic. It is what Andrew said, BMW Classic is responsible for the long term care of the Z8. The Z8 club has frequent contact with BMW Classic.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The interior plastic bits, including the seat trim panel, are painted plastic. I would buy the black version and have it painted to match. There are no directly adjacent trim panels so any slight color or patina variance should not be noticeable.

Team Z8
    I've found a hairline crack in the same spot...my simpler approach is a careful application of epoxy, using a penlight and a fine detail brush on the inside of the seat trim. Some painters tape on the leather, protecting it from any stray epoxy. Tape across the crack if it's pulling apart, otherwise the small crack will be unnoticeable.

Thank you all for your responses/suggestions.

These parts are NLA painted from BMW...they only now come in unpainted black plastic. Is the interior trim paint code for Black also 668 (exterior paint code) or something else? I'm having new seat side trims painted and wanted to make sure painter is using the correct BMW swatch.
    1957 BMW 507 Papyrus/Blue
    2001 BMW Z8 Red/Crema

I am curious what the collective wisdom of this forum is regarding the finish on the hard plastic surfaces of the interior. I have seen numerous references to these being painted, but I lean toward believing the plastic has the color impregnated into it and given a gloss finish. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I am curious what the collective wisdom of this forum is regarding the finish on the hard plastic surfaces of the interior. I have seen numerous references to these being painted, but I lean toward believing the plastic has the color impregnated into it and given a gloss finish. Thoughts?
    Definitely not with color `impregnated' for parts coming from BMW now. Both the seat plastic side trim and seat back plastic trim comes without color. I guess it's a cost savings move by BMW to just stock the unpainted black plastic items and shift the responsibility to the purchaser to spend the money to paint and clear coat the required color.
    1957 BMW 507 Papyrus/Blue
    2001 BMW Z8 Red/Crema