Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: The 507, BMW's most beautiful car.

DSC Off
    This video includes the story of Jack Castor, a resident of Half Moon Bay, California and how he came to acquire the Elvis' 507. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Call me a geek, but I just loved that last one, boy do those guys at Classic do a fine job!
    What strikes me in all these videos is the old world craftsmanship required to return Elvis' 507 to its original state. I greatly appreciate the folks who have that ability to work so skillfully with their hands.

As for the video you posted, I enjoyed the scene when the seasoned restorer is pounding the metal into shape with his younger assistant standing nearby but with his hearing protection gear in place. Just a striking reminder of old and new school approaches to safety. Another favorite scene is when the bare metal body panels are installed and there is the writing on the nose of the car stating: "Elvis Lebt" or in English "Elvis Lives". This video works for me too because I enjoy hearing the ambient noise of the work area, which makes it feel like you are actually there without the hearing protection gear 😉.

Thanks for sharing!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Great videos, and like Ed, it was interesting to see the old-style panel-beating used in the restoration. Given the very limited production run of the 507, I imagine this is the way the cars were originally built, which may account for why they ended up being phenomenally expensive in their day. I was somewhat surprised that they chose not to use much of the original car, other than the steel "tub" and perhaps some of the tube frames used on the hood, boot lid, etc. In Andrew's video at 27:05 you can see the original aluminum bodywork mounted on a buck, clearly not intended for re-use. Being that the original drivetrain was long gone, and the interior was beyond saving, not a lot of what Elvis drove around in back in 1958 survived.

[QUOTE=01BlueZ8;52019]This video includes the story of Jack Castor, a resident of Half Moon Bay, California and how he came to acquire the Elvis' 507. Enjoy! /QUOTE]

Thanks you for posting Ken. Too bad that Mr. Castor wasn't able to see the completion of the Elvis 507. From the video it sounded like he was willing to give up the Elvis 507 to BMW in exchange for the restoration of the other 507 in his collection.
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On
    Great pictures! Just think, I could have bought Elvis' car in 1966 for only $5,000 and I was not willing to go above $3,000 and Tommy Charles, the disk jockey in Birmingham, would not budge on the price.

Ugh!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ra0507 View Post
    Great pictures! Just think, I could have bought Elvis' car in 1966 for only $5,000 and I was not willing to go above $3,000 and Tommy Charles, the disk jockey in Birmingham, would not budge on the price.

Ugh!

Richard
    Could you elaborate on your story? Did you know at the time this was Elvis' 507? The video Ken posted suggested that Jack Castor did not have knowledge of the car's history until approached by Bimmer magazine in 2009 (see link below too). This story in the link to Bimmer magazine answered the question about the arrangement made beween Jack Castor and BMW for Elvis' 507.
    https://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/14...g#.V_vREJMrI-U
    My Best,

Ed

Here's an 8 minute video with Jack Castor describing his two 507s. I like his win-win approach in negotiating with BMW for the restoration projects shown at ~5 minutes.

My Best,

Ed

Now after all that whiteness, here is a color combo spotted at the Petersen that I absolutely would have loved on my Z8!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    I'm not sure if this has been shared. I love the color combination on this one.

DSC Off
    Another video on Jack Castor's Elvis 507.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    What an amazing story and such a great tribute to Jack Castor, a man not driven by greed and whose only interest was to keep the legacy alive. Thank you Jack.

For those who did not get a chance to see the Stuck/Elvis/Castor 507 in Monterey, this magnificently restored roadster will be on display at the recently reopened Zentrum museum of the BMW Manufacturing plant in Spartanburg SC until the spring and at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance March 11-12, 2017.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Sport Button On
    I did not know that the car for which I offered $3000 to disk jockey, Tommy Charles, was previously owned by Elvis. All I knew was that Charles had pretty much ruined the car by putting in a Chevy V8 and racing the car. Back then (1966), I didn't have a good understanding of BMWs and I clearly "missed the boat." I don't think I even knew Elvis had one (or more).

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ra0507 View Post
    I did not know that the car for which I offered $3000 to disk jockey, Tommy Charles, was previously owned by Elvis. All I knew was that Charles had pretty much ruined the car by putting in a Chevy V8 and racing the car. Back then (1966), I didn't have a good understanding of BMWs and I clearly "missed the boat." I don't think I even knew Elvis had one (or more).

Richard
    Thank you for the follow up on Elvis 507, and for sharing your memories of this car in 1966.
    My Best,

Ed

There is no better place to start with what I consider the most beautiful of all these beauties, the one that wears the plate MWZ 507H and lives in BMW's own museum in Munich. ...
    couldn't agree more, boy did I drool al over this thing that August 4 in 2011, visited Walhalla with the wife and kids

A rather fabulous tale of a 507 that is coming up for auction at the Villa D'Este tomorrow.

Sold new through Automag Buchner & Linse of Munich, Germany, chassis number 70044 is a rare first-series 507, produced in July of 1957. Originally finished in Papyros, a scarce shade of off-white with a red leather interior, it was equipped with whitewall tires, a hardtop, and a Becker Mexico radio with an automatic antenna. The car’s first owner would be Herbert Dinkheller, who worked for a tobacco company in Frankfurt and who acquired the car shortly after it was built. While the 507 was registered under the name of his company at first, ownership was later transferred to Dinkheller personally in November of that year. The car was purchased from Dinkheller by its second owner in April of 1958.

The car’s third owner, Hermann Beilharz of Mötzingen, would be the car’s longest custodian. Beilharz was a successful amateur racer of Honda motorcycles and bought the 507 with what little funds he could scrape together, as his pride and joy. Throughout the course of his ownership spanning over five decades, he made sure it was always well maintained whilst being stored carefully and driven regularly during the summer months. Photos are on file of the car from throughout Beilharz’s ownership, including some of him posed with the car on his wedding day. It was acquired by its current owner in 2014.

When the car was originally acquired by Beilharz, he refinished it in its current shade of sea green early in his ownership, contrasting with its black hardtop. The original red leather interior shows the wear requisite for the 73,000 original kilometres on its odometer. Recently refitted with its proper front bumper and steel wheels, the car retains a set of colour-matched Rudge wheels, which will be included in the sale, along with a tool kit, owner’s manual, factory brochure, and certificate from BMW. While with its current owner, front disc brakes were installed to provide additional braking power; the original front brakes accompany the car. Furthermore, the car is still accompanied by its original German Fahrzeugbrief and a letter from Hermann Beilharz, which confirms its limited ownership history.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Nice ... patina. Car was offered at RM Sotheby's auction in Monterey 2016. High bid was $1,950,000, reserve not met.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Very interesting colors. Man, I really do not like fender mounted mirrors. Looks like these poor fenders suffered thru multiple mirror locations and some RV running lights as well.

When the body work and paint had been redone, I would have moved the mirrors back on to the doors.

Of course I don't own any $2M cars, and probably would screw up the value by "fixing" one if I did.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

BTW, I love looking at those vintage pictures showing the car being enjoyed as a car. That is hard to do anymore.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

For sure, this one seems like a car to be driven! The more patina the better.

I remember this car well at Monterey last year in its striking colors. Here are a couple of images from when a few Z8ers previewed this 507 and other cars on the day we arrived.

Note the bumper and wheel changes
    Name:  original.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  98.9 KB
    My Best,

Ed

I'll never forget that car. Oddly perfect.

After an 8 months tour in the US (Monterey, Spartanburg, and Amelia Island), the Elvis 507 is back in Munich. Here she is, on display at the BMW Museum.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

A rather fabulous tale of a 507 that is coming up for auction at the Villa D'Este tomorrow.

The green 507 did not sell at the RM Sotheby's auction at Villa Erba.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    Great looking 507 in this Jerry Seinfeld video. http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee....pancake-batter

The 507 featured in the Seinfeld show (70089) and the Elvis 507 (70079) used to belong to the late Jack Castor in Half Moon Bay. Jack made a deal with BMW Classic; they would restore both cars to the same high standards, keep the Elvis 507 for the museum and return 70089 to Jack after the restoration. Sadly, Jack died before the restoration was finished. Jack had no immediate heirs. He willed 70089 to a good friend, and that's the one in the Seinfeld video. Many of us saw the Elvis 507 in Monterey last year and/or at Amelia Island earlier this year. It has now returned to the museum in Munich. 70089 was on display in Monterey at the Legends of the Autobahn, which most of us missed (except for Satch) as it took place the same day as the event at the Quail.

Quote Originally Posted by 01BlueZ8 View Post
    Great looking 507 in this Jerry Seinfeld video.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2