Thread: Z8 Club throws the Z8 a 10th Birthday Party in Munich

Talking Z8 Club throws the Z8 a 10th Birthday Party in Munich

Hard to believe that the Z8 is now ten years old, but it was the star of the show at the Frankfurt Autoshow in the September 1999.

To celebrate the event the Z8 Club organized a wonderful long weekend in Munich, here is a quick overview of the events. Several US owners went to join in the event, and the Club was able to organize an extraordinary fleet of vehicles for us to drive, including an M3 Coupe & Convertible, a new 7 Series, an M5 and also a go in one of the new GTs.

Being a member of the Z8 Club e.V is something very special, and very worthwhile, as you can see by the pictures of the events below.

The first set of pictures is from the opening day of the festivities where BMW opened up their Aluminum Repair Center, and hosted all of us for an afternoon of show and tell about all aspects of repairing Aluminum cars. There was a stunning 507 on hand to remind everyone of the spiritual heritage of the Z8.

Andrew Macpherson
    61888 - Silver / / Black

On Friday we drove across the countryside of Bavaria to Dingolfing where the Z8 was actually built. It was fascinating seeing the cars being made, the only car factory I'd been to before this was Spartenberg, but that is more of an assembly plant, at Dingolfing the have massive machines stamping out the entire sides of cars. Sadly we weren't allowed to take pictures into the factories, but here are some shots from the drive there and back.

Dinner that night was a splendid special event at Munich's famous Alianz Arena.

Andrew Macpherson
    61888 - Silver / / Black

Saturday was the big day, with over eighty Z8's arriving for the big group shot outside the BMW Welt building. After arranging the cars for photos, we toured the BMW Welt, and then had a delicious sit down lunch in the famous Four Cylinder building.

After lunch I spent the roaming through the fantastic museum, enjoying the display before everything was cleared out for the Z8 Club's big Gala dinner that night.

Andrew Macpherson
    61888 - Silver / / Black

On Sunday, the Club drove to Schl?ss Pullach ....

through the rolling countryside southwest of M?nchen, at first alot of rain but some great vistas, Alpine lakes and ridiculous fun none the less.

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Man, you guys really are living the dream, thanks for the pics and letting me live vicariously through you. Wish I could come to Dallas and meet the other Z8'ers, but this is the busy time for me. But I am tempted....
    Zed0037

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000

Sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by briandilley View Post
    But I am tempted....
    you just have to give in to the tempation -- after all, the Z8 is the ultimate temptress!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Thanks for sharing what was obviously a wonderful event.

I am mildly curious as to how many of the Z8s that attended have been performance enhanced.

I can't give you a definative answer because I didn't talk to everybody about their cars, but there were two 550hp Nowack tuned Z8's there, one Stratus, which is dwz8's car (on the 'ring) & one Black which was a carbon copy of the work done to the Stratus car. I've driven and been driven in these cars, and they are superb, you really don't notice the tuning, the car remains smooth, usable and easy to live with, the only difference is it revs to 8,000rpm, makes power like a dynamo and handles like its on rails.

Other than those two 'super Z8's' I think that almost all the others are stock, with only rims and the PP as the upgrades I noted.
    Andrew Macpherson
    61888 - Silver / / Black

Quote Originally Posted by briandilley View Post
    this is the busy time for me. But I am tempted....
    Hey Brian, I don't think anyone standing at the Pearly Gates ever said " Gee, I wish I had worked just one more weekend"! Come on out to Dallas for the weekend and rent something fun to drive.
    And that goes for everyone elso, too. Call Routineer and reserve your spot. Life's too short.

Ken, you are so right and what a better weekend, activities and group of people to cut loose with. Going to review the agenda now!
    Zed0037

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000

DSC Off
    Edy and I just got back from the 10th aniv Z8 Club Munich get together. It was great fun due to cars and the people. The Z8 and the Z8 Club have been a lot of fun and we look forward to more meetings with such a great group of people with such a beautiful car. Edy and Erik