Thread: Z8 exhaust options/opinions

Sport Button On

Z8 exhaust options/opinions

Given the various exhaust options that are available now (2019), what would you buy? My 2000 Z8 is stock and pretty quiet. Quiet compared to a 2007 M6 (stock) and a 2018 Land Rover Sport (of all things). Both of those cars have a really nice exhaust note. Not obnoxious. Well, not to me anyway.It looks like these axle back exhausts are still available:SupersprintEisenmannMeisterschaftAny others that I'm missing? Is there a big difference in quality/sound between these? Any advice one way or another?

Here is a video clip I made after I had my Meisterschaft GT installed a few years ago. Please forgive me for the shaky video with my old GoPro. The angle of the camera is intended as such - view of the tach as opposed the scenery which isn't that exciting any way. It gives a pretty good idea of the sound, however, as the camera is inside the cockpit - between the seats if I recall - it is a little muted. Maybe I'll do a better one soon...

https://youtu.be/KQS9V-52Y58
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On
    Thanks Skip - love the intro music! Exhaust sounds great to me - more oomph than the stock setup. Did you do just axle back, or did you replace the whole system?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiMike View Post
    Thanks Skip - love the intro music! Exhaust sounds great to me - more oomph than the stock setup. Did you do just axle back, or did you replace the whole system?
    Just the mufflers. I really like it. I nice beefy tone without the hooligan sound that would wake up and piss off the neighborhood. Makes you (and everybody else) know that there is a powerful V8 rumbling under the hood. To be honest, I have not heard any other ones, but I could not be happier. Just right for me. Thank you for the nice comment about the video.

I am sure you will get a lot of comments from members that have some good comparative information about the different options that people have installed. I would think Andrew has probably sen and heard more than anyone else.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I'm also looking for current thinking on upgrading exhaust. In former threads there was allot of enthusiasm around Eisenmann - early years of the Z8. Later it seems a change to Meistershaft. Would love to hear some more sound clips of both if available? I have a Z4 that sounded like a Camry and I did a cat back replacement with Stromung - like that exhaust note a lot better and no drone at highway speeds.Would love to get some recommendations form the members on the current thinking - please.Thanks,Roland

DSC Off
    Meisterschaft is the go wonderful exhaust. Loud on a acceleration easy to drive with when cruising. Mauimike nice to see a fellow M6 V10 fanatic. I collect the last of the naturally aspirated BMW race base engine from the early 2000's. My M6 csl lightweight is one of 25 made for Europe only. Has a little more Horsepower and higher rev limit. I am the 2nd owner and it just turned 18,000 miles. The person I bought from collected rare Porsche with race pedigrees and was quite into racing them. Never got to ask him how he it got it by customs.....he died racing his new factory 911 race car in February 2018 a month after i purchased the M6.....so sad..

I found the Eisenmann Race perfect. Nice throaty rumble but never intrusive on conversation or early morning drives.
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan stage II suspension
    Dinan Stage II software
    Eisenmann race cat back exhaust
    Qauife Torgue-biasing differential
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

Team Z8
    I thought both of those Z8 specific exhaust systems had been out of production for several years...
    Last edited by ron's rocket; July 25th 2019 at 20:21. Reason: additional information...

DSC Off
    See the thread http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/upgrades/m...ound-1520.html in the forum, it has more videos. Iím really undecided on whether to change mufflers. The special forum edition sure sounds great on video, tempting but it would draw a lot of attention blasting up the hills out of Watkins Glen on my summer commute. On the other hand, in stock form it sounds to me like a 60s small block Corvette.

- - - Updated - - -

See the thread http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/upgrades/m...ound-1520.html in the forum, it has more videos. Iím really undecided on whether to change mufflers. The special forum edition sure sounds great on video, tempting but it would draw a lot of attention blasting up the hills out of Watkins Glen on my summer commute. On the other hand, in stock form it sounds to me like a 60s small block Corvette.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pendrod View Post
    Meisterschaft is the go wonderful exhaust. Loud on a acceleration easy to drive with when cruising. Mauimike nice to see a fellow M6 V10 fanatic. I collect the last of the naturally aspirated BMW race base engine from the early 2000's. My M6 csl lightweight is one of 25 made for Europe only. Has a little more Horsepower and higher rev limit. I am the 2nd owner and it just turned 18,000 miles. The person I bought from collected rare Porsche with race pedigrees and was quite into racing them. Never got to ask him how he it got it by customs.....he died racing his new factory 911 race car in February 2018 a month after i purchased the M6.....so sad..
    Geez that's awful

I have Eisenmann Race exhaust on my 1st Z8...

Quote Originally Posted by MauiMike View Post
    Given the various exhaust options that are available now (2019), what would you buy? My 2000 Z8 is stock and pretty quiet. Quiet compared to a 2007 M6 (stock) and a 2018 Land Rover Sport (of all things). Both of those cars have a really nice exhaust note. Not obnoxious. Well, not to me anyway.It looks like these axle back exhausts are still available:SupersprintEisenmannMeisterschaftAny others that I'm missing? Is there a big difference in quality/sound between these? Any advice one way or another?
    and they sound fantastic. When I bought the second Z8 (2002 investment car and rarely driven) I went back and forth of whether to upgrade the exhaust or not. I love the way the Miestershaft GT sound too and after hearing Andrew's in person, seemed a bit loud for the wife so I went with another set of Eisenmann Race Exhaust. Had trouble finding a set of Eisenmann and was told a few years ago that Eisenmann no longer makes the RACE exhaust for the Z8. I found a set and I purchased them on ModBargins and quite honestly, even though they are marked "RACE" exhaust, I do not think they are RACE exhaust as they are definitely quieter but at this point, not worth trying to change to something different.

Had both Z8s up on a lift the other day and my suspicions that they are not the same RACE mufflers is probably true as the markings between the two of them are different and makes me think the word RACE was added to the second set so they could sell them as something they are not maybe? Eisenmann made a GT version of their exhaust, which Andrew initially installed and was no louder than stock and traded them out for the RACE. He eventually upgraded to the Miestershaft GT if I remember correctly and liked them best of all.

Given my second experience with getting a pair of Eisenmann's, unless you can find them from a Eisenmann dealer , I would stick with the Miestershaft GT as they are still more reliably available.
    Last edited by Z8doc; August 17th 2019 at 18:05. Reason: typo
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102