Thread: Where does this line originate? Neon "expected to last for the life of the vehicle"

Where does this line originate? Neon "expected to last for the life of the vehicle"

This line, "the tail lights and turn indicators are powered by neon tubes that offer quicker activation than standard lightbulbs and are expected to last for the life of the vehicle" is found in countless articles about the Z8, which leads me to believe this was in a BMW NA press release.

Has anyone seen this release or no where I can get a copy of it?

Following a suggestion by Andrew i checked "the book" and to my surprise I couldn't find it in there. Perhaps I missed it there?

Frankly, it has been repeated by so many other journalists I suspect it was in press materials or a press briefing regarding the Z8.

Help finding the source would be greatly appreciated! BMW is claiming they never represented these lights would last longer than regular lights and if I can find they are the source of this statement that would be super helpful!

In all of the BMW NA publications I have, I cannot find it.....but in the brochures, salesman's publications for the "rest of the world " it is mentioned ;-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

That's interesting the lawyers for NA must have figured the potential liability of such a claim, and expunged it!

Since the book was a 'one world' printing that crossed all borders, it should be in there.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    In all of the BMW NA publications I have, I cannot find it.....but in the brochures, salesman's publications for the "rest of the world " it is mentioned ;-)
    Do you have any specific examples? I've found such general representations in the owners manual but I'm trying to hunt down the source of that quote. I'm dealing with BMW now and I want to make them stand by their words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    That's interesting the lawyers for NA must have figured the potential liability of such a claim, and expunged it!

Since the book was a 'one world' printing that crossed all borders, it should be in there.
    Yes, I bet it was in some press release or press briefing. I really really want to find it badly as I'm trying to hold BMW accountable.
    Odd thing is, I don't see anything about the neon lights in the Book. Which means either I keep missing it or its not there at all? Who produces a book without an index

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Do you have any specific examples? I've found such general representations in the owners manual but I'm trying to hunt down the source of that quote. I'm dealing with BMW now and I want to make them stand by their words.
    You can find it here on this forum: https://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/ET_Z8_GE.PDF page 52...and even highlighted by Andrew? ;-)
    But as I said before all these sources come from BMW AG ( this press release also). Considering it is BMW-NA and BMW AG for the rest of the world I don't know if this press release or german customer brochures would "impress" them
    Ton

You can find it here on this forum: https://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/ET_Z8_GE.PDF page 52...and even highlighted by Andrew? ;-)
    But as I said before all these sources come from BMW AG ( this press release also). Considering it is BMW-NA and BMW AG for the rest of the world I don't know if this press release or german customer brochures would "impress" them
    Thank you Z-Act

How do we know this is a BMW AG press release? I don't see any copyright or other indications of source, which is frustrating

In addition, even in this document that sentence repeated hundreds of times is not there. Knowing how journalists work I would expect it started with a quote from BMW.

As for me, I see it is written in English, not German. This indicates to me it was meant to be consumed by people who speak English and report news in English. Sure, they speak English in Germany, the Scandinavian countries, the Netherlands, etc., but even in those places journalists do their stories in the the native tongue. My point is, if BMW (NA or AG) prepared this in English they did so darn well knowing it would be relied on by folks rebroadcasting this information in the U.S.

Still, I can't help but wonder if there is not some other BMW document. This PDF is many pages long. I suspect BMW distributed a much shorter document singing these claims regarding their neon lights......

I have the original press release and on the English version the back says "GB". I also have a big brochure which was sent to german customers after ordering which contains the life long line. I also have a salesman brochure in several languages with the line....but all these were published by BMW AG. The few BMW NA publications I have don't have the line. It is frustrating but maybe some US members have a Z8 collection of US publications, sorry I cannot help you.
    Ton

I have the original press release and on the English version the back says "GB". I also have a big brochure which was sent to german customers after ordering which contains the life long line. I also have a salesman brochure in several languages with the line....but all these were published by BMW AG. The few BMW NA publications I have don't have the line. It is frustrating but maybe some US members have a Z8 collection of US publications, sorry I cannot help you.
    Given the U.S. Press use of this same language I suspect the BMW AG materials were passed on to BMW NA. After all, with BMW importing, on average just over 630 vehicles a year over the four years, BMW NA was most unlikely to spend any time/money developing sales pitches beyond what had already been drafted by BMW AG. I mean, BMW sells something like 1.5 to 1.7 million cars a year. Doubtful BMW NA devoted more resources to this car that, thanks to the magazine coverage, sold itself.

Would you mind posting these publications here?

Problem is BMW AG owned up to the neon light issue and offered replacements.

BMW NA has basically given U.S. owners the one finger salute.

You know that almost everything ever published on the car is in our PDF's section and can be downloaded there -

http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/bmw-z8-his...icles-163.html
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post

Problem is BMW AG owned up to the neon light issue and offered replacements.

Only if the car is still resides anywhere outside North America.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You know that almost everything ever published on the car is in our PDF's section and can be downloaded there -

http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/bmw-z8-his...icles-163.html

Yes, thank you Andrew. I've downloaded almost everything and read most of it as well. You create a great resource for Z8 owners!

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Only if the car is still resides anywhere outside North America.

If only BMW NA wasn't such a $hitt company. In doing various internet searches, not even looking for BMW, I can't tell you how many lawsuits I've found against BMW! Honestly more than any other. It's truly astounding. BMW AG should pull the plug on BMW NA and set in a whole new operation. On the positive side, with the world moving towards electric and a new playing field likely to emerge, maybe more and newer companies will make the old guard BMW less relevant and then BMW will learn why brand loyalty was considered important once upon a time.

I want to thank Chris Bangle and Fisker and the team that made the Z8 for making a modern day Jaguar E-Type and a very un-BMW BMW.