Thread: Used the Windblocker for the first time

Used the Windblocker for the first time

Yesterday was a lovely but cool fall day here in the northeast, so my wife and I decided to take the Z8 out for a spin. After discussing how much layering of clothes was appropriate, the thought struck me that I have never used the windblocker on that car. So after struggling for a few minutes to figure out how the metal clips are properly inserted into their slots, the windblocker was was finally in place and off we went. It was a revelation how much calmer and more serene the cabin became versus not using the windblocker. The top-down experience was transformed, becoming so much more enjoyable that my wife berated me for never having used it in the seven years I have owned the car. Although I like the cleaner look when it is not in place, I can see that it will become a requirement for enticing my wife to ride with me.

So, if any of you have ignored using your windblocker, I strongly recommend you give it a try.

Bill

I took mine off once, went on a drive, and immediately put it back on.

But I have never put the hardtop on.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I typically use mine and yes, it makes a big difference. The only negative is that with the top up the visibility back through the rear window is much less clear than without it. The effect with the top down is much less noticeable. I typically take it off "permanently" when the weather cools down to the point that I am more likely to keep the top up as opposed to down and then reverse it when the summer approaches. Happy motoring!!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

The Z4 M roadster came with a wind-blocker, but it impeded my vision so much that I returned the damn thing. So it never even occurred to me to try the one for the Z8, If it involves any sort of screen through which I have to focus during a split-second glance, then no, it's staying on a shelf in the garage.

During our drive, I needed to pull out into an acceleration lane on a busy highway, and I asked my wife to give me guidance as to when it was safe to pull out (no pun intended) due to obstructed vision resulting from the windscreen. Other than that, I did not find it to hinder my vision excessively. I did notice the owners manual suggests unzipping the center section when the soft top is closed or the hardtop is in place.

Compared to the other cars in my stable, even with the blocker installed, the Z8 has the best rearward visability of my tiny fleet.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

It sounds like you guys are referring to the standard equipment screen type windblocker that came with the Z8. I bought a Lexan windblocker from Windblox many years ago and it works much better than the screen type blocker. Your rearward vision is not blocked because it's Lexan so you can see through it and the cockpit is much more comfortable. The Lexan is very thick so you don't get any of the "rumble" you can have with other, thinner and more flexible blockers.
    The install is simple, using velcro straps on the headrests so it can be easily removed/installed at your will. Another advantage is it has very little impact on the appearance of the car when the top is down and doesn't interfere with the top operation. It doesn't have to be removed when (if) the hardtop is put on. At the time I bought it, you could get it in different colors, (glass) green, clear, or smoked. I don't know if they have different colors still, but a very good product which I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to get rid of the screen type blocker.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. I will order up this solid windblocker. It sounds like it will work better than the perforated OEM one.I only wish I had gotten this earlier. I picked up my first and only speeding ticket in 42 years of driving likely due to the visibility difficulty with the OEM screen blocker. Never saw the motorcycle cop who was following me. :-(

Thanks Ted. The company was very responsive to some strap questions I had but, again, that was several years ago. That's about the time they offered the clear straps as opposed to the black ones.
    I got the clear acrylic with the "green glass" edge. The green is not visible in the body of the Lexan, only on the edge. I visited their site since I saw this and see they still offer colored Lexan for those that like that sort of thing. I think you'll be happy with the product should you decide to try them out.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Here are some photos of my car with the Windblox windblocker installed.

Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black