Thread: Ultimate Driving Machine or Ultimate Disappointment?

Ultimate Driving Machine or Ultimate Disappointment?

Hi All,
    Iíve never lost my love for the Z8 and the BMW Marque even after parting with mine several years ago. Iíve owned many of the all-time greats over the past two decades; two Z8ís, two E39 M5ís, an E36 M3... and recently decided to have a new 540i join our family. So far since delivery (after waiting 3 months for a custom order), weíve had 3 months of weekly trips to the dealership with drivability, alignment, ride height sensor, iDrive, CarPlay, phone integration, and other random issues that have me very concerned. Does anyone else own the G30 5 series? If so, please PM me to help figure out if my car alone has an undiagnosed computer (or ghost) issue or if the problems extend model-wide. Its the most comfortable car that I have ever sat in, but these issues have pushed me to the brink.
    Thanks!

Sorry to hear of your troubles with it and hope that you find an easy and quick resolution.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thank you. Unfortunately BMWís response to one issue where the car is not working as advertised is a written acknowledgment that the problem exists and that I should live with it until they redesign and update the software- target date unknown. Another issue that I categorize as a safety/drivability problem has been acknowledged as intermittent and ďlikelyĒ unfixable until it breaks completely or throws a hard code. So far any soft codes related to the malfunction seem to get erased before they can hook up the computer due to several restarts between when the event occurs and getting into the shop. Our dear friend Bill would have had this addressed in a flash!

Urgh, so sorry, such a pain - would seriously put me off getting another BMW.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    That's why I like the classic BMWs. No Sensors, no modules, no screens. Just sheer driving pleasure.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I totally agree. ďProgressĒ has removed pleasure and replaced it with frustration. It is claimed that we are safer because of the technological advancements, but the unanticipated consequence will likely be drivers who pay even less attention to driving which sets the stage for catastrophe. Then thereís always the potential failure of these systems making even routine drives dangerous, the situation that I am dealing with.