Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Suggested values as of May 2014

Suggested values as of May 2014

This is a double post, but I thought interesting to open up to more comments from others.

This is by no means concrete, it's a total ballpark guesstimate for a perfect 100 point car with all the goodies based on what I'm seeing today.

Miles............0>500..........500>1000............2000>5000.............5000>10k.........10k>20k...........20k>30k...........30k>40k.........40k>60k

Z8..............300,000.........250,000...............200,000.................180,000.............160,000............150,000...........140,000..........135,000
    Alpina.........350,000.........285,000...............230,000.................205,000.............185,000............175,000...........160,000..........140,000

Of course there will be exceptions to this, like Gar's Alpina, which is being concourse prepared, and the level of finishing required to bring it to better than Pebble Beach Gold Ribbon will add $20+ to it's value IMHO. (figuring that would be the cost to a new owner of doing all the things done at the price of spares)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew - you missed the heavyweight class with 90-100K miles like me
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

That's because you're in the priceless category, that many miles and smiles mean you won!!
    Andrew Macpherson

I saw a BMW Z8 wanted post on Craigslist this week in SoCal for a car that was black/red. As an owner of this color combination, I was considering "my price", but I enjoy the car too much to put a value on it. I'm also reminded when I drive the car by people's reaction to the Z8 how fortunate I am to own this special vehicle.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

It's a very curious thing, but I have never had as much interest in these cars as I do now. I have several buyers all looking for very specific things, and good clean no story cars are selling very quickly. Knowing the condition of your car I'd have little hesitation as suggesting a price in the 175 range for it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thank you Andrew for the suggested price on my car. Being pragmatic, I am not convinced there's another vehicle at that price point which interests me as much as the Z8. The fact that my car is well sorted at this time is also a significant consideration for me.
    My Best,

Ed

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar

Values in Europe

I did some statistics on the average asking price of 96 cars for sale in Europe ( Germany, Belgium, France, UK, Holland, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and Austria) Kilometers: Average Euro price

<10K : 195K ($265K)

10K-20K: 190K ($258K)

20K-30K: 160K ($217K)

30K-40K: 160K ($217K)

40K-50k: 145K ($197K)

50K-60K: 150K ! ($204K)

60K-70K: 140K ($190K)

70K-80K: 130K ($177K)

80K-90K: 140K ($190K)

90-100K: 140K ($190K)

> 100K : 130K ($177K)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Interesting. I think the 40 to 50k miles price is just an outlier due to a small sample size. What the analysis does show is the Europeans are less concerned with miles after 30 k with the prices pretty even from $150 to $130K (euro). The condition of the car/ originality/ upgrades/ color combo probably has as much to do or more with the price than the miles IMHO.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Thanks Ton, its great to have those figures for comparison.

It's curious to me that the Club reported that BMW AG is saying they won't do the US>EU spec changes anymore, as it's clear there is a great case for buyers in the EU to get their cars here and take them home.
    Andrew Macpherson

The average of all cars for sale is 160.000 euro/218 USD. If we forget the <20K cars ( BTW all the <10K cars are US import) than the average is 145.000 euro/200USD. But next month it will probably changed but I don't think it will change much. Like Josh said: it is obvious we Europeans don't care much about mileage. There are (legal) safety concerns .....at the end a US Z8 is simply not a ECE Z8 ....but what could happen is not told
    Ton

I know, it almost sounds like they were selling us sub standard cars!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I have run into this sort of 'this country's car is different' approach before and in my experience, it is purely as a result of dealer lobbying. So for example, US dealers might be saying - if we lose all the Z8s, we will lose a fair bit of service work, and the company obliges. Seems surprising given the small volume here, but still very possible since clearly many cars have already been converted successfully. I believe there have been class action suits against this type of 'market fixing'.

You might be true! But on the other hand : I am sure conversions will continue but without the "blessing" of Munich
    Ton

Z8Mania
    FWIW, I was casually offered 230k for my car with 30k miles and mine is gently modded.... I don't know if the guy making the offer really understood what he was saying. Just reporting the news. Of course I said its not for sale.

If there's money to be made, the conversions will continue. Theres not much difference in the cars so far as I know and I don't think BMW HQ really wants to be bothered. They are too bust with other things these days.

So I purchased mine just before this recent steep increase (dumb ass luck)... does anyone know what has triggered it? Normally a car needs to get some sort of attention to reinvigorate its market - movie, record at a famous auction, etc. I haven't heard or seen a thing. is it just the high end classics market in general?

Good observation, and yes, I'd say it's a case of all boats rising on the tide. There are few comparable cars in terms of collectability, and the ones that are in our market segment, most notably the FGT, CGT & Enzo, are now starting to rise at exponential pace.

A couple of days ago I had an interesting moment of conversation with a gentleman who sends a lot of cars to China. He told me that there is no classic market there at all as yet, everything is focused on the latest and greatest, but Enzo, SLR's, CGT's and the like are fetching very high prices there. This could well be a part of the rising tide we're getting lifted on.

However as with wines, the market there is new and unfolding, and full of possibilities. Watch this incredible documentary (it's on Amazon & iTunes) and you'll see why the Z8 is destined to become one of the most sought after cars in China's nascent collecting culture once they discover it.

Andrew Macpherson

Just had a look on EBay tonight, there's only two cars on there, (one being a Dinan S2! ) and both are asking 159k.
    Andrew Macpherson

Only 2! I remember when there were always at least 10 or 15?

Z8Mania
    The China market in particular has two major issues for collector / classic cars:

1- As I understand it, the mindset of most Chinese consumers is they want NEW and never ever used.
    2- There are very few experts in country who can work on and service these machines.

Both of these things could change over time but I don't think they will change that quickly.

Those are very things that I think will make collecting such a status symbol, it will absolutely set the collector apart.

How long till we see the Chinese coming to Pebble, Amelia Island, Villa D'Este, Goodwood etc, etc? These events are have become the modern equivalent of horse racing a hundred years ago, they are both big corporate showcases and something of a must for a certain slice of society. They will not stay hidden and 'just for us' for ever. As with wine, I suspect that once the taste is acquired, it will become quite a market.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Also the Chinese don't like to drive- they like to be driven...

I think it will actually take some time to happen.

Theres one other factor to consider--- many Chinese achieve a certain level of success and then leave their country. So you might see Chinese people at these events who are now living somewhere else and therefore technically not Chinese.

I think you're right it'll take some time, but I do think it'll happen in the fullness of time.
    Andrew Macpherson

If they like to be driven, not drive, those old cars are perfect... Not all are that great to drive, but are perfect to " be seen in".

Z8Mania
    But who's around to fix them? LOL

All things happen in time.

We've now had two 600 mile Z8's, one black in FL, and silver in CA, both sell at right around 225k in the last two weeks, so we're now firmly into the 200's for perfect specimens.
    Andrew Macpherson

Seeing more general articles crop up on Google about the Z8 and values - eg BMW Z8 Prices Are Going Through the Roof

Z8Mania
    Great find! Thank you.

Someone should tell SCM. Just recieved July issue. German profile on Z8. 50K example sold at $98,450. Still lists high value @ $125K investment grade C The alternatives listed are 996 cab, 01-04 Z06, Jag XK8. They should get a grip. Overall, nice article though. Another Z8 listed same issue with 34,666 mi. sold @ $118,800

And number 56 on edmunds top 100 super cars, apparently.

Kieth Martin has constantly been behind the curve on the Z8, and was initially totally disparaging of it, so I would not expect him to climb down from his original position and eat some humble pie, it's a flavor he isn't acquainted with.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I enjoy my copy of SCM but I find their analysis sometimes way off base- as with the Z8. Its hard trust any publication these days- you really have to find the people who truly know whats going on with whatever it is.

I agree... That would be Andrew and this group. Worlds number 1 z8 site!

Z8Mania
    === TRUTH ! ===

Sport Button On
    Interestingly there is a 2001 Z8 for sale in Bonhams Goodwood Festival of Speed Auction www.bonhams.com Price Guide £80,000 - £120,000. Interesting to see what they achieve

Nice to see that the Z8 gets associated with a pretty incredible stable of vehicles in that auction!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Here's an 03 Z8 Silver/Blk with 13k asking $170k

Search car listing
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Seeing more general articles crop up on Google about the Z8 and values - eg BMW Z8 Prices Are Going Through the Roof
    Nice Find!!! Here's a 698 mile car listed for $235,000

2001 BMW Z8 for Sale - 2234287 - duPontREGISTRY.com

I'd say that's right on the money for an immaculate 03 with all the goodies, and it's already sold!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    These cars are so hot they just sell themselves!

Great finds

They're hot because they're hot! Everyone wants in now... The more they rise... Etc. if most of these cars go into collections, as investments, does that just tighten the market and drive values up more? What happen when the market cools? Will they all get dumped, and drive prices down? We've all been looking at the high values. What is the bottom of the market? 110 for "drivers"?

One of the two 2003 MY cars on cars.com has 61K (hardly a collector's car) and the asking price is $189K. I hope he gets it!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'd say that's right on the money for an immaculate 03 with all the goodies, and it's already sold!
    Something is not right about that car. According to the VIN decoder, chassis AH62369 is an Alpina????
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

The one sold by Exclusive in LA for 222k was 61069 and the one sold by the Maserati dealership for 165k was 61939, not sure where you saw 62369?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Norcal you ask the right question anyone who wants to buy any car with even a smidgen of investment as part of the purpose should ask.

My opinion is number one you should only buy cars that you are passionate or enthusiastic about. If they drop to $0 in value, you still have a physical object that you enjoy. And of course they won't drop to zero.

I look to history and demographics to provide some help with where future values could go.

I'm far from an expert, but I try to learn things and my opinion is cars that become collectible usually follow a trend like this:

Years 0-3: Hot car, cars sell for premiums over the sticker. Speculators and dealers help push up the price.

Years 4-10: Values cooling off and then come down quite a bit. Its not the hot ticket anymore and the speculators and dealers have moved on to the next exciting car. The decline in values shakes out most of those who didn't really love the car in the first place.

Year 11: Around this time we find out if the car is truly going to become collectible. Values will begin to rise and inventory will shrink.

When it comes to the Z8 its following this script and while 5703 is a lot of cars compared to ultra rare cars like say a Ferrari 275 NART Spyder, of which I think they made only 10, 5703 is still a relatively small number of cars.

When it comes to demographics I see a few interesting trends that might seem like they are at logger heads:

1- The number of truly affluent people around the world is increasing (an aside to mention the number of poor are increasing too and that is troubling)
    2- The young seem to not be as into cars as in prior generations
    3- BRIC or similar nations don't have the same collector/ vintage car infrastructure (experts, restorers etc) that the US and Europe, Japan have....
    4- Those nations sometimes have a mindset against preowned (China).

So trying to put these things together into a narrative here is how I see it.

Wealthy people look for things to do with their money, whether its alternative investments that can appreciate without being taxed immediately (stocks, bonds, art, cars) or they just start getting into a hobby like cars. Experts can be brought into a market or the vehicles transported to experts. Already we see manufacturer sponsored programs which could be made much larger if there was a need, things like BMW Classic, MB (I forget the name now), Ferrari Classiche, they can take your 300SL Gullwing or 250 GTO or E9 Batmobile and completely restore it. What happens when you take a Gullwing, restore it with new leather and a new paint job- right from the factory- is that car really like buying a used SL55 with 50k on the clock or is it more like getting a new car? Once the Chinese change their perspective- as Andrew pointed out elsewhere- that market will open up- or at least I think it will.

And then we have the youth. Its true but I don't think that will really hurt the values of the "blue blood" marques- mostly European- it could hurt the collector market for middle class investors. Tastes change and as the youth age their interests will change too. Some will make serious money and they will begin to look for these items. Mementos of a bygone era... Like when BMW made a delicious V8 without turbos but with variable intake and exhaust and put it together with this stick shift thing in a gorgeous roadster wrapper... Can you believe it?! A far cry from the 4 speed electric GoogleKarts that they will drive daily........

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    As I've said before I don't think the current youth is less into cars than other generations. I can fully say that my generation (20-30) grew up on movies like fast and the furious and deffinetly have the same love for cars as other generations. The interesting thing that I've noticed is kids even younger than me (10-15 age group) know things about cars I never did at that age because of the accessibility and convenience of the internet. Whenever I take any of the cars to a local car show or stop at a gas station I'm amazed at what these kids know. Just last week what looked like a 12 year old kid approached me about my Z8 and asked if it was true that it's the first fully aluminum car BMW made? To put it simply I was shocked and astonished that a little kid even knew about this subject.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    not sure where you saw 62369?
    Could be that I misunderstood; here is the car I'm talking about 2003 BMW Z8 2dr Roadster, $188,799

Agree about the kid comment... my daughter recently came home and said one of her guy friends (she is 10 yrs old) saw my car and said - Wow your Dad has a Z8?!?!? that is the coolest car - I have a model of it in my room. Can I go for a ride pleaaase?

When I was 10 I do not think I knew about any 13 yr old cars!

Carlos, I checked it on their site, and they list it as a 61,700 mile Alpina, but thats all the info they have on it. (link)

I'd say they're aiming high for the mileage, but with Z8 fever taking the country by storm, and a few cars breaking the 200k barrier I'm guessing this is where we'll see them all soon.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    The dealer selling this '03 Alpina doesn't seem to know much about Z8's and his listings are really lame. On cars.com it's listed as having a 6 speed "with OD". On dealer's site it's listed as Automatic (which, of course, would be correct for an Alpina). The only photo(s) are stock and manufacturer photos, all but one of a Z8 not an Alpina.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Agree about the kid comment... my daughter recently came home and said one of her guy friends (she is 10 yrs old) saw my car and said - Wow your Dad has a Z8?!?!? that is the coolest car - I have a model of it in my room. Can I go for a ride pleaaase?

When I was 10 I do not think I knew about any 13 yr old cars!
    My 32 year old son has one response: just give me the money ....it probably will a be a lamborghini
    Ton

Thanks Jerry! And remember, as with guitar hero, and kids being exposed to 80s metal, these same kids have "driven" the Z8 in many videos like need for speed. So, as with previous generations, they will want to realize their childhood dreams?

Z8Mania
    Great points. Also all those playing GT and the other games. Whats better than games on your iPhone or Android?

REAL LIFE!

For sale in Germany: an ex US Alpina with a little more than 10K........$306K (thanks to the appreciating Euro)
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Wow! As my kids would say: "thats mega cray!" (mega crazy)

I'd say that's just mega!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Real big money! The first one is an ex US and the second one is originally Swiss. Does anybody know if there was a price difference between a Z8 and an Alpina?

edit: in Germany the initial price was 127.000 euro and the Alpina was 131.500...
    Ton

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    Real big money! The first one is an ex US and the second one is originally Swiss. Does anybody know if there was a price difference between a Z8 and an Alpina?

edit: in Germany the initial price was 127.000 euro and the Alpina was 131.500...
    In the US, the 2003 Alpina had a msrp of $139,235 (I have the window sticker). I believe the 2003 Z8 was about $132,595.

Quote Originally Posted by zilver8 View Post
    I believe the 2003 Z8 was about $132,595.
    My 2003 stickered for $134,295 (just looked at my sticker).

Hardly a difference!
    Ton

A-MEN says 61930 with 26K miles!
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    I remember seeing an Alpina at the local Miami BMW dealer around mid-2003 for $139,000 + $25,000 "availability premium"
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8Mania
    I have a Z8 that could be sold for an extremely large "Jerrys car fund premium".

Sport Button On
    The Z8 I mentioned at the Bonhams Festival of Speed auction in the UK sold for £104,540/$175600
    The car was a 2001 model with no performance package in average order, needed a service and had 26500 miles on the clock. Reserve was £80,000

......puts us back on our feet
    Ton

Great news!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

mjunco1054
    Andrew, Earlier this year I purchased a Silver/Red 2000 (imported from Italy) from the individual who imported the car in 2001 because he could not get one in the US. The car had very few Kms (about 1200 when he brought it in), and he had it converted to US specs at a BMW dealer. He kept the car at his vacation home in Lake Michigan and when I purchased it earlier this year it only had 7300 miles. The owner is from Dallas and he had just brought the car back to Dallas. I had Classic BMW in Dallas go through the entire car and fix everything that needed to be repaired and installed the Performance Package. They also did the pre-inspection for me and confirmed the history and mileage. I purchased the car because I was impressed as to how well it ran and how tight it felt even compared to my other 2001 Z8. My plan was to store the 2000 and sell the Silver/Red 2001, but have not really decided what to do just yet. I am curious about the comments I read in this email string regarding the differences between the US and EU spec cars. I thought they were identical (except for the tail lights and the sideview mirrors)?
    Thanks,
    Manuel
    Manuel Junco 2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)1976 20022017 Porsche Carrera GTS1998 Porsche Carrera S

There are a bunch of differences that you can see here, but the best thing is that when you decide to sell, you'll get top dollar for it in Europe as it already has an EU VIN, which makes it a since to reimport.
    Andrew Macpherson

This article provided by my Google alert reminded me of this thread. Apparently the door to China is open for Z8s too.
    http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/07/...ense-in-china/

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    The China market in particular has two major issues for collector / classic cars:

1- As I understand it, the mindset of most Chinese consumers is they want NEW and never ever used.
    2- There are very few experts in country who can work on and service these machines.

Both of these things could change over time but I don't think they will change that quickly.
    My Best,

Ed

Interesting, I look forward to seeing this market develop.
    Andrew Macpherson

It seems the euro Z8s that were brought over stateside have shed some of the early stigma. My 2001 silver/red euro has 31K on her and has been an absolute joy. Not looking to sell but then again if the price keeps floating up I might have to at least consider it. Could always plan a Z8 reentry after this economic bubble finally bursts.

Sell high, buy low! Good luck with that...

If someone is looking for a driver quality Z8, there is a silver/black 2001 listed on Hemmings for $96k, which seems like a decent price despite the high (86k) miles. From the photos it looks like a decent car.

That's certainly an inexpensive car, but the rear body panels look a bit off. I'd make sure to get a through inspection before buying.
    Andrew Macpherson

Also, while it has 86K miles, the engine was replaced at 55-60K. That's quite a history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last