Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Suggested values as of May 2014

You are right about the rear panel gaps, they are definitely not up to factory standards. I also think the torx bolt heads on the door hinges look like they have been painted silver, suggesting a respray. However, it could be the natural metal color of the bolt heads is so close to the titanium silver that they just appear that way.

DSC Off
    I have an Etype Jag and a Z8, and i enjoy driving a collectable that increases. As part of this process i check the Hagerty Classic Car Valuation Tool (https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo.../VehicleSearch), and they just released their September 2014 update. The Hagerty Price Guide is becoming a widely accepted valuation tool for cars, and in my experience collectors, dealers and insurance companies frequently refer to this. I find the September update so different than the forum comments on valuation- Hagerty lowered the value of z8's in 9/14 update and now have the Alpina at a lower value than a 2000 or 2001!. At the same token when you look at Jag Etypes the values are now reaching +200k for early 60's roadster. I have talked to Hagerty about this, and they keep saying they have never seen a Z8 sell in the US for above $160k in the US, which is a documented sale. I think they get their valuation primarily from auctions. If we are interested in getting our values represented correctly, we should provide documented proof of sales to Hagerty. This will benefit us all- insurance valuation, car valuation and of course a happiness value as you drive!

I think you're most likely correct, they must only look at trade auctions, because RM already sold two in their auctions at over 200k, and I also know of two others this year that have broken the 200k mark. As you can see we have two 'museum quality' cars on the site both asking north of that too, so I'd say that the 200k mark has well and truly been broken, and the average for a used but mint car now in the 150-185 range depending on miles, year, color, original bits, history etc, etc.

If you want to take them on be my guest, but I don't have the time or inclination to argue with the I'll informed.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    These sites are completely outdated IMHO... with the likes of eBay and other online markets. I believe eBay offers records of their sales don't they - fee service shown here http://pages.ebay.com/marketplace_research/ ... A quick look at listings right now indicates no car below 150K... obviously this is asking, but that has been the case for the last 6 months so the market must be sustaining it.

DSC Off
    Ok. I will try to see where i can get to. these guys have a lot of credibility, awareness and are seen as an independent organization by many folks in the industry

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The problem I find with these groups, including the likes of the 'Blue Book' type organizations, is that they use archaic approaches for cars that are rare, when there is so much 'big data' out there now for those same cars. Look at vast.com - they currently list about 26 Z8s for sale. How many have gone through auction in the last year? I would guess less than that. Unfortunately, evolving their business model means admitting that the world is changing!

Sport Button On
    Hi Z8 sold in auction yesterday at Salon Prive in London www.silverstoneauctions.com Lot 147, an USA 2000 Z8 with 28500 miles, two owners, went for £105,000/$171,000

Good to know, that's a fair price for a US car in the EU in my book.
    Andrew Macpherson

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum, having consumed my time with different diversions since 2010 (or thereabouts). As a result, I am beginning to look at selling my beloved Z8. However, I don't really know where to start, so I am looking for some advice.

Basic information: WBAEJ13402AH61339, 2002, silver/black, owned since 2008, less than 25-000 miles, in Vancouver Canada, previously licensed in the US, I have always kept it indoors, has BMW installed performance package, book, hardtop, hardtop rack...

Any suggestions as to:
    - where to sell?
    - is it better to wait until spring (roadster weather)?
    - other suggestions?

I appreciate all input and ideas.
    61339 Silver/Black
    Robin Ensom

mjunco1054
    Robin,
    Andrew McPherson is helping several people sell their cars. He may give you some ideas as to how to go about it.
    Manuel Junco
    Manuel Junco 2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)1976 20022017 Porsche Carrera GTS1998 Porsche Carrera S

I second that. Andrew has his finger on the pulse, and largely due to this site, attracts many buyers. I would definitely talk to him first. That being said, spring would likely be better... Unless he has a buyer now. Sorry to find you are leaving the fold.

Thanks. I will seek out advice from Andrew. He is probably watching anyway...
    61339 Silver/Black
    Robin Ensom

Hi Robin, I'd love to help for sure, please shoot me an email to [email protected] and we'll make a plan for selling your car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Those blasted journalists!

"It's hard trust any publication these days- you really have to find the people who truly know what's going on with whatever it is."

Boy howdy, tell me about it! I never read any of those publications, because their writers are numbskulls and their editors are certifiable loons.

Hey, wait!

Remember the days of the $1M 507? (Like a couple of years ago). Well, those days are gone. Here's a '58 type 2 for 1.65M, plus buyer's premium, natch. Perhaps collectors are inferring that the Z8 is the next 507 for some reason Anyway, congratulations to the early adopters! Here's a link to the auction.

Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

That 507 Series II

That video is a heart-breaker, Greg, because that car was part of the Bill Young collection, looted from the estate after he died. Bill fell in love with the 507 when he was in college, and many years later he acquired the '58—which turned out to be the same car he had admired as a young man!

A few years ago, as we were preparing for an adventure, Bill mentioned to me that he was just waiting for his 507 to become a million-dollar car. Eventually, of course, his car sold at Amelia for $1.8m; the next day, a 507 from the Cray collection brought over two million. One sold at Monterey this year for around $1.9m, but it was estimated between two and two-point-five.

Link's Law states A thing is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. Kelly bought 60084 at a price agreeable to buyer and seller; in twenty years, she'll find out what it's worth. In the meantime, I hope it will have provided for her (and me) at least some of the great adventures that Bill Young enjoyed in his 507. But I think we'll skip the vapor lock and the bad spark-plug wires.

Well now you're in a Z8 we'll have to concoct some adventures worthy of the car, and our new drivers! Having driven up to Monterey with you & Kelly the other year I know you're both on the pace, so lets go play!
    Andrew Macpherson

More on values

The Silverstone auction in early September had one silver-over-red Z8:

Chassis Number: WBAEJ1343YAH60176
    Engine Number: Not Specified
    Number of cylinders: 8
    CC: V8 5.0 litre DOHC 32 valve
    Year of Manufacture: 2000
    Estimate (£): 110,000 - 130,000
    Sold for (£): 105,000

That's about $172,000 this afternoon, probably a few dollars more earlier in the month. Note that the AH code means it was a US-spec car, if I am not mistaken, which I frequently am. Interesting text at https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/2000-bmw-z8.

Driving adventures

The Macster, he say:

"Well, now that you're in a Z8, we'll have to concoct some adventures worthy of the car, and our new drivers!"

Jeez, what do you want, Andrew?! I mean, Kelly already took it to Cars 'n' Coffee!

I'm sure Kellz has probably already posted images from the modest Champagne reception we had to welcome the car to the Pacific Northwest (a bit of Pinot Noir rosé, a few bottles of blanc de blancs), where we got Tom Kreger to put his black E-Type next to the Z8 so that everybody could admire the source from which Henrik stole about half of his styling cues.

He left the Buick in the garage.

Satch, thank you for your post on Bill Young's 507. You are truly a wealth of knowledge with a keen appreciation for history, as you would have to be given your position! Thanks again for responding and for the information.
    Best.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Um, thank you!

Jeez, Greg, I'm flattered. Others would say I'm didactic, pedantic, and opinionated! But you are correct that I have become rather taken with the history of the marque, especially its prewar history... and I am drawn to the Z8 partly because I have been able to watch its development since the Z07.

I have been extremely fortunate to have friends like Bill Young, Jim Smith, and Tom Graham, who have educated me as best they could. Of course, Kelly's the one who got me through their doors in the first place!

This one will be on the auction block next weekend. Does anyone know if Carlisle Auctions publish sale prices after the auction?

http://carlisleauctions.com/view-con...ignmentID=1026
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I love the way they call it Rare and Exclusive. I know dozens of people with one of these cars! Oh, wait....

There appears to be a black Z8 for sale too from this Ed Ullom collection.

http://www.theedullomcollection.com/new/
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

DSC Off
    Interesting article from Barron's last weekend on collector car growth driven by International. There was an earlier post on the forum on China interest and other countries...it is beginning!
    http://on.barrons.com/1rnc0J7

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    There appears to be a black Z8 for sale too from this Ed Ullom collection.

http://www.theedullomcollection.com/new/
    Ed had 2 Z8s, one for each of his daughters. They weren't interested in the cars. He sold one of them earlier this year.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    I've got Alpina #048 on Ebay. $210K Buy it Now. Lots of interest from around the world and one guy bid the minimum 175K. Reserve is a good bit higher than that, so we'll see how this plays out. I'm sending photo links all over and hoping for a nice number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291252298431...8431&viewitem=

Gar

Looks like a nice car, but frankly I wish the write-up for the car didn't dwell so much on the frame issue, which I believe has been overblown in general. Not really a good thing for the overall public perception of the Z8 and its market value.

Bill

DSC Off
    You're probably right Bill. I wasn't thinking about that when I put it up. I was thinking that I wanted to advertise the fact that it was installed as a nice plus, but I may have gone too far. Any suggestions on a nice way to edit my words? I don't want to eliminate the fact that I have the PP installed on this one, and that it's a nice thing to have already handled, but I'd certainly be willing to tone it down a bit, so long as it's done in a reasonably eloquent way.

Gar

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2