Thread: Spiritual successor to E36 M3?

Spiritual successor to E36 M3?

My first BMW was an E36 M3. What a great little car, and it had a whopping 240 HP, which seems almost amusing now. My next BMW was an E46 M3 - I enjoyed the car, but it wasn't nearly as much fun to toss around as the E36. Now BMW has shown the M235i which looks much better to me than the retired 1 series coupe, and there are rumors of a full blown M2. I'll definitely test drive an M2 if and when one is available. It would take something special to shake me loose from my V8 E92 M3, but an M2 might just do it!

Regards,
    Bob

2014 BMW 2-series / 228i / M235i Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

2002 red/crema Z8, gone, but not forgotten

Z8Mania
    That was my first BMW too! What color was yours? Mine was cosmos black with black leather. 1996 model. That was a car I wish I never let go.

I agree this new 2 could very well be the spiritual successor!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    That was my first BMW too! What color was yours? Mine was cosmos black with black leather. 1996 model. That was a car I wish I never let go.
    The e36 M3 is arguably the best driving BMW ever. Of course, there are those that consider the e30 M3 to be the only true M3, and the e46 M3 and e92 M3 were/are great machines, but for nimble handling with ample power -- yes, 240 hp, but 240 ft./lb. torque at under 2,000 rpm and just 3,250 lbs. -- to me the e36 M3 is the pinnacle. So much so that I still have my 63K mile 1998 coupe in Dakar Yellow and have no plans to let it go.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

I'll never be that much of a fan of the turbo engine. No matter how much they try remove the lag, it is never allows the same moderated throttle resonse as an NA engine.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

That was my thinking... Turbo is just not the same. My 09 Cayman s with 320 hp, and only 3,000 lbs, and mid engine naturally aspirated, lower cg, runs circles around the old 80s cars! I love the old e30, but it is under powered and archaic by today's standards... I drove one a couple years ago with only 25k on the clock. Fun, but..... Old, and under powered and floaty, not to mention long throws and pedals. I'd still love to have one! The Z8 is still my favorite BMW by a mile!

Mine was a '95 white with grey leather, pretty much a no frills car. As I recall, the euro E36 M3 had north of 300 hp which must have been very entertaining. I certainly prefer naturally aspirated, but then I've haven't driven any of the modern high performance turbos; it will be interesting to see how the new M3's/M4's are received. And I'm with Norcal - the Z8 is still my favorite BMW. It has become even more beautiful over time.

I got to drive a 1M & M3 V8 back to back at Laguna a couple of years ago, and while the 1M was manic and mad fun, it never felt sorted or settled on the track. I jumped out of it into the M3 and boy was it a different world in terms of feeling. There may not be a lot to choose in terms of lap times, but its how it feels doing those times that really counts to me. The same can be said of driving the 350 miles from LA to Laugna, some cars may do it 5 or 10 minutes faster, but its how you feel doing the drive that counts, and so far I haven't found a car that beats the Z8 when it comes to long drives on my favorite back roads.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Great points fellas. The new turbos are really amazing, and you have to respect the accomplishment: big HP, big torque, less fuel used. BUT- the feel is not the same. At lower RPMs the feeling is no where near as sharp, its like a layer of fuzz is in between you and the car. As the RPMs build it gets better but its never quite as sharp or as manic as the best NA motors. For most people, most of the time, these new turbo motors are truly a wonderful innovation. For those of us who enjoy some kind of mechanical/ visceral interaction with the car, these are a curiosity but you we will still look to NA for our pleasure rides.

It will be interesting to see how BMW does with the new twin turbo six in the M3/M4 - we should start seeing driving tests in the not too distant future. No doubt they will have given considerable thought during the design process to throttle response although I don't see how they can match the current V8. It is impressive to see fuel economy numbers (at light to moderate loading) from these modern turbos. No doubt that is one the primary drivers of modern turbo technology.

Z8Mania
    Absolutely. I agree. Great thoughts.

I too love the e36 M3. I think it is the consummate track car. I love the lines on it and I can't imagine a better car for the money. I have two 98's (1 track M3 Sedan and a Coupe for the street) and my son drives a 99 coupe. It may not be as fast as many other cars out there but in the curves it is great to "throw around".

Regarding the 1M, while I don't think it is very compliant as a track car, it is a whole lot of fun to drive. It is harder to drive than any of the M3's because of the power combined with the short wheel base. As only 740 of them came to the U.S. and they only made it the one year, BMW delivered an immediate collector and the resale values have held this up. It was approximately the same cost of a new e46 M3 and a real attention getter (Orange). I drive the Z8 to some events and the 1M to others and with both I frequently hear "This is the first time I have seen one of these in person". Interestingly the people drawn to the 1M are mostly in their 20's and 30's while the Z8 always draws a broader crowd.
    Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Z8Mania
    I wish I never let that 96 coupe go. Oh well......

I think the 1M is a really cool car but the Z8 just has a specialness to it that frankly, very few other cars possess. There are others, but its a rarity. You can tell its a truly bespoke vehicle.

It's funny that with all this talk about the 1M, I found myself behind one in traffic this morning, orange with 1M KISS on the plate. Hadn't seen one in ages.
    Andrew Macpherson

I still get people asking if it is a new model. 13 years old!

Z8Mania
    Same here!

I drove a 335i a few years back and felt the lag, but when I dove the M6 Gran Coupe at COTA last summer, I did not feel it at all. I think it is how they are routing the gases across the cylinders so that the gas from one catches the next firing cylinder. Also. I'm sure the paddles were faster, but I enjoyed the stick version more.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    That is correct. In the M cars they are doing just that. They are minimizing the lag.

FYI, Autocar loved the M235i they just tested....

BMW M235i 2-series coupe Review | Autocar

That is indeed quite a positive review in Autocar. It has been rumored that an M2 would get a somewhat detuned version of the turbo 6 that is going into the new M3/M4, so it will be very interesting see how that motor is received by gearheads.