Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Our Watches

Great Pink Floyd references Jerry! Time to go now, I'm meeting up with another Z8er tomorrow over coffee and I need to check the car today to ensure she looks and drives great. Pictures to follow elsewhere.

Dark side of the moon: The part of the moon you cannot see but you know it's there.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Ed, will you be in Danville? I might make it tomorrow? "Time to go, time to go..."

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Ed, will you be in Danville? I might make it tomorrow? "Time to go, time to go..."
    Ian, I'm meeting up with another local owner in Burlingame for coffee.

We need to plan a Bay Area Z8 owners event soon, and the Cars and Coffee at Blackhawk makes for a great jumping off point. I also had a request for a return trip to Napa if you want to co-plan a trip there this summer. I'll send you an e-mail on this topic.
    My Best,

Ed

Ed, are you able to join us for lunch at the Ventana Inn on Friday 16th?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Good stuff Ed. And I am jealous of all the cool west coast stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Ed, are you able to join us for lunch at the Ventana Inn on Friday 16th?
    I'll need to come back to you on that Andrew after I sort through a potential business trip. It would be great to see you and the other owners if I'm home.
    My Best,

Ed

DSC Off
    Still wearing my stainless Rolex GMT Master. It's about a 1968 vintage according to serial number. Wear it every day. Beat the heck out of it. It's my watch and that's what it's for I reckon. I bought it from my dad almost 20 years ago. He'd gotten something different and I couldn't bear to see it languishing in his safe. Told him I didn't want to wait until he was dead He died last summer

Gar

Great watch... Sorry about your dad. He would be proud.

Six degrees of separation (Detroit Watch Company and the BMW Z8)

I learned about the Detroit Watch Company last year as an alternative to another Michigan watch producer. I've been considering another mechanical watch from larger manufacturers, but I kept coming back to the stunning and thoughtful designs of this boutique producer.

With that introduction, I ordered a numbered M1 watch (197/200) from the DWC on Saturday (Swiss ETA 7750 movement, clear back, blue face, red band). Turns out the founder and owner, Patrick Ayoub, is an automotive designer too with ties to VW and to BMW (Z1). During his time at BMW, he also taught at the Art Center in Vevey Switzerland, where one of his students, Henrik Fisker, spoke of wanting to work at BMW...

I'll report back on the watch later, but this story was too good not to share.

My Best,

Ed

What a gloriously elegant watch, good for you, and great story too. I'm excited to be returning to Carmel a few days over the holidays and will get a good dose of watch magic there. I never wear them because I manage to destroy everything I put on my wrist, but I so love looking at them!
    Andrew Macpherson

Stunning Ed!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Thank you Andrew and Carlos!

Andrew enjoy your visit to Carmel! We're also making a trip to that area this weekend with a return visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. What a special night that was last August at the aquarium!
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    What a special night that was last August at the aquarium!
    It really was!!! All thanks to you Ed for doing all the heavy lifting.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

I lost my Breitling Sport when the leather band broke somewhere in Boston. The watch BMW NA gave me, John Buffum, and Tom Grimshaw when we won One Lap in 1992 is a Tag Heuer. Mine has the distinction of being absolutely unfixable, even by replacing the entire movement!

Any watch other than a flyback split-second reading in hundredths instead of seconds, so you can actually use it in a rally, is merely jewelry.

All watches are jewelry, for accurate time keeping you need an iPhone ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

I still appreciate a mechanical watch, and how it make me feel when I wear one. Working for a Swiss company, people also pay attention to what is on your wrist.

As for my latest addition, I received my DWC M1 watch today, and I am thrilled with its appearance and build quality. I also appreciate the packaging including a framed and numbered sketch of my watch. Nice touch.

My Best,

Ed

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Beautiful watch!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thank you Ton. I look forward to many years of enjoyment in wearing it.
    My Best,

Ed

I confess, I'm a tiny bit jealous now! Enjoy!!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Ed, it's beautiful! You have great taste.

Thank you Andrew and Ken!

The DWC company's owner having links to both Henrik Fisker and BMW has been an additional bonus to the watch itself. He has been very approachable throughout the process because we have this common bond around BMW. In addition, I appreciate people like Patrick who can take an idea and develop a stunning product. In fact, if there is ever any traction to designing a Z8 themed watch I would recommend him to help us.
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I have a Glashutte Sport.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

I have some Breitling, very good, like them a lot but a bit heavy I must say. But the watch I like the most is my Cartier Calibre !

Team Z8
    I for one would be all over he idea of having the owner of DWC design a Z8 watch. I would suggest we give him free rein to design and not quibble amongst ourselves. Ed, if you're serial#001, please put me down for #002!
    Let's do this guys:-)))

These two bad boys really caught my attention. I'd always wanted a Paul Newman, and these new black bezel stainless Daytona are just right to my eye. What do you guys think?

Andrew Macpherson

I like the matte finish, but there's no date on any Daytona, so that's a big no for me

Team Z8
    A friend just got the white dial version. It looks fantastic.

Here is one of my favourite collection .. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk

That's simply stunning, I really love their time pieces.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I met the President of Lange and he is a Car guy and very interesting to speak with.
    They make beautiful watches.
    Joe

Oh dear, I'm in love again!

Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Oh dear, I'm in love again!
    Me too .. Daytona white face is hard to find maybe settle with pearl face.

Oh, for Christ's sake. Figuring out your airplane speed again are you, Andrew?

Give me a simple stopwatch with a hundredths-reading dial and a fly-back split-second hand, and I'm with you. Maybe I have to duct-tape my Heuer Sebring to my wrist!

:-) I have no idea what any of that is, except the duct tape, which is about all I can afford these days!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2