Thread: OT- The oldest working gas pump in the U.S.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

OT- The oldest working gas pump in the U.S.

I just got back from a wonderful four day trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park in central California. Here is a photo of me filling up my very thirsty Roush supercharged F150. This is the oldest working pump in the U.S. and dates to 1928. Very cool to watch working, but a bit pricy at $5.75 per gallon for 91 octane. It is way up in the mountains, so it does cost quite a bit to get it trucked up there. The second photo gives you a glimpse of the sheer beauty of Kings Canyon. This is my favoite part of the drive. It is just breathtaking and nothing short of amazing how they put the road literally into the side of the mountain. The cliffs are thousands of feet high. Truly spectacular!

Where is that pump? Our Z club was in the canyon a few weeks ago and stayed at the Wucsatchi Lodge with tons of deer waking around the cars.

Did you tour Boyden Caverns near the end of the road? Did you drive 198? A lot of fun at any speed.

Scott

This station is located about five miles before you get to Boyden's Cavern. We did go there after fueling up. I also went to Boyden's Cavern last year and really wanted to go to Crystal Cave on the other side of the park this year, but it was closed due to a fire in the area. I drove 198 home last year but I must say, it wasn't alot of fun in a big truck. I can see where it would be a blast in a Z8!

I'll have to check it out next trip. I went as far as Boyden as we had about 15 Z's with us and an early dinner reservation. According to some of the locals, Crystal Caves is nothing compared to Boyden as they are a commercial cavern and Boyden is a cave where everything is up close and personal. Ironically, our Boyden guide's name is Crystal.

Here is a pic of the Richfield station (vacant) near Three Rivers on 198.

DSC Off
    Did you actually have to hand pump the gas up into the the glass feed tank and gravity flow it into your tank, or had they converted it to an electric pump. For the hand pump experience, you usually pay more.

Actually, the storage tank was originally built into the hillside above the pump so it has a gravity feed into both the pump and then into the tank of your car.