Thread: Monterey 2020; a different experience

Monterey 2020; a different experience

Porsche USA recently invited me and a guest for a day at Laguna Seca Raceway to test test drive their vehicles. So my oldest son drove a Cayenne (on an off-road course) and a Boxster S while I drove the new 992S and Taycan Turbo. Now I spend my limited free time searching the internet for the ultimate Porsche...

The best part for me was sitting in the passenger seat while watching my sonís face as the Cayenne balanced itself on two wheels. Next up in the highlights was having my neck fully snapped back under full throttle in the 750 hp Taycan, followed by my two laps in the Carrera S.

For lunch we ate at Tarpeyís, one of the restaurants we used in 2016 for Monterey Car week at The Quail that showcased the Z8.

Top to bottom
    Boxster Spyder, did it have to be black/red. What do you think NorCal?
    Taycan
    Cayenne
    Carerra S

My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

How fun, good for you guys!

I absolutely love that Boxster Spyder, Ian let me have a little go in his, and I honestly think it's the sweetest car I've ever driven, it seemed like the perfect marriage between my beloved Lotus track cars and my old GT3.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    What a fun event and a good selection of models to drive especially the boxster spyder. I am curious to hear your thoughts on the taycan turbo...apparently it is not only quick but quite adept at handling. Not sure if I can give up a manual transmission and exhaust sound for a daily driver but it has me interested enough to want a test drive.
    2002 Z8, Titanium Silver, Dinan ECU/Suspension, Brembo BBK, Quaife 3.64 LSD, Short Shift, HRE 541R, Eisenmann Exhaust
    2014 R8 V10 Plus - 6MT, Sepang Blue, Exclusive Alabaster White Interior, Capristo X-Pipe, Pedalbox, Reid Intake
    2008 RS4 - Phantom Black, Titanium Package, Exclusive Red/Black Interior, KW V3, H-Pipe
    2018 991.2 GT3 - 6MT, Graphite Blue Metallic, Lightweight Buckets, Ceramics, GRP Bypass Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    What a fun event and a good selection of models to drive especially the boxster spyder. I am curious to hear your thoughts on the taycan turbo...apparently it is not only quick but quite adept at handling. Not sure if I can give up a manual transmission and exhaust sound for a daily driver but it has me interested enough to want a test drive.
    Unfortunately the 718 Spyder was a static display, but it struck me as great driverís car with 6 speed MT and NA 6 cylinder.

The Taycan turboís acceleration was ridiculous, and this opinion comes after owning a 2009 911 Turbo and an SLS AMG. We went onto the track with three cars following the lead professionally driven vehicle. On the last lap I slowed to 60 mph to create space with the car ahead on the long straightaway. With space created I applied full throttle and hit 100 mph in no time at all. The car felt well planted too during the corkscrew section of the track. I am with you about wanting a more visceral driving experience, but if you want to be the fastest kid on the block, wow that Taycan turbo is a beast.
    My Best,

Ed

Ed, yes, the Spyder is as Andrew said, about the perfect Porsche fun car. Not the fastest, but plenty fast for sure. Totally visceral, and beautiful to boot! Iím closing in on 5 years and 11,000 mi. The race buckets are super comfortable, but a bit of a pain for around town. When Covid is cooling down you can come drive mine. You can probably find a black car with the classic red etc. interior if you take your time. Depends on what you want the car for. Youíve done the turbo thing... itís not that!

Thanks Ian, I am thinking about a car to be enjoyed by rowing through the gears in the back roads and taking my wife to dinner from time to time. With these criteria the 718 Spyder seems about perfect. You're a color guy, and I am considering Vesuvio Gray exterior with black interior (gray stitching).

Kinda like this one:

Looking forward to turning the page on 2020, and connecting in 2021 post vaccine!

My Best,

Ed

Ed, if I recall, Vesuvio was the 2000 celebration color. At the time, and perhaps still, it is a chromatic{?} color-shifting paint, turning from eggplant purple to olive green in the highlights. Truly my least favorite color ever produced by Porsche. Or I could be wrong..... just a heads up. Maybe amethyst instead? If you are serious about getting a PTS Spyder, call me this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEA2 View Post
    I have gone to the Mc Laren 720S Spider and love it.

Joe
    Stunning looking car Joe, with performance to match. Iíve had the opportunity to drive the 570 spider and considered adding it to my list.
    My Best,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Ed, if I recall, Vesuvio was the 2000 celebration color. At the time, and perhaps still, it is a chromatic{?} color-shifting paint, turning from eggplant purple to olive green in the highlights. Truly my least favorite color ever produced by Porsche. Or I could be wrong..... just a heads up. Maybe amethyst instead? If you are serious about getting a PTS Spyder, call me this weekend.
    I donít recall the Vesuvio painted GT2 changing colors from different angles, but at that time it was in Carlsenís showroom. I enjoyed driving a Porsche again at last weekís event, and it got me thinking about next vehicles. Letís talk soon anyway, but I am not going to pull the trigger on any new car for me until after I replace my wifeís SUV and we move into our new house.
    My Best,

Ed