Thread: lightweight seats

lightweight seats

would you guys kick me off the forum if I installed these seats? I hate changing the visuals of the Z8, but these are 4kgs. Anybody know any better looking lightweight seats?

Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

let me caveat this by saying that it seems all lightweight seats except this one come with those funky "wings" on the shoulders. I hate the looks of those and I don't think they will even fit in the Z8.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

OK, I'm talking to myself, but it just occurred to me that I could cut off the top part of the seat and replace it with the headrest from the Z8, do some leather upholstery to cover the surgery, and voila...a very lightweight version of the Z8 seat with better support.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

First, I don't think "surgery" would or could work. Have you looked at the BMW Motorsports seats posted elsewhere? What is your motivation? Why change? Weight? Loose 20lbs! Cheaper and healthier!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    First, I don't think "surgery" would or could work. Have you looked at the BMW Motorsports seats posted elsewhere? What is your motivation? Why change? Weight? Loose 20lbs! Cheaper and healthier!
    Well, I could lose a few kgs, but I think we're talking about a 50kg difference for two seats! If it was the only thing I was doing to drop the weight, I wouldn't be bothered with 50kgs, but these things add up. Lost about 80kgs so far and am currently working on another 50kgs. I don't intend to stop there. This one seems like an easy 50. I just don't want to put some ugly ass seats in a beautiful car.

Why don't you think some surgery could work?
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

I like those seats, but only for a sprint at the track, I think they'd be harsh for a long run. The good thing with replacing seats is you can always put the originals back when you want to sell as it isn't a permanent mod.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

True on both points Andrew. I just put 996 gt3 buckets in my cayman S... Awesome, but not for the z8.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I like those seats, but only for a sprint at the track, I think they'd be harsh for a long run.
    I know what you mean. I think I may get one seat for experimental purposes. Seems like it would make an OK skeleton for a lightweight seat, but more cushioning in the bottom section would have to be involved.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    I know what you mean. I think I may get one seat for experimental purposes. Seems like it would make an OK skeleton for a lightweight seat, but more cushioning in the bottom section would have to be involved.
    That's the ticket...take out both seats, but only put one new seat in and you will save an additional 4kgs...may have to lean a little more to the passenger side of the car for balance though.... This from the guy who started a discussion about how much air weighs by posting the air pressure along with the total weight when he got new tires.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    That's the ticket...take out both seats, but only put one new seat in and you will save an additional 4kgs...may have to lean a little more to the passenger side of the car for balance though.... This from the guy who started a discussion about how much air weighs by posting the air pressure along with the total weight when he got new tires.
    hadn't thought of that. you're a genius!!!
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

I have a brand new set of carbon fiber Cobra seats. Very light and yet good looking imo. I was going to install in a project car and sold the car first. Here is a pic.
    The last pic shows the alum. low profile seat back knobs that are not installed in the first pics. I have a set of those that would be included. Pm me if you want further info.
    John

Z8Mania
    I know you are trying to improve the Z8's performance. But I think its worth mentioning that you really won't change the Z8s essential character- and at heart its not a nimble sports car. Its a bit of a sporty cruiser that has lots of accessible torque for fun. I would leave the stock seats unless they are simply uncomfortable. I think you would get more performance thrills by simply acquiring a more dedicated sports car.

Hey Jerrry, how are you? While I agree with you in some ways, I have many times wished my oem seats were more supportive, especially since most of my driving is mountain roads. If I were not investing all my extra money and time into the 512bb I would add these seats to my car, of course keeping the factory seats as well. Only so much time.....
    Nice to see pics of your newest ride. Hope you post up some driving impressions with more miles on her. John

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I know you are trying to improve the Z8's performance. But I think its worth mentioning that you really won't change the Z8s essential character- and at heart its not a nimble sports car. Its a bit of a sporty cruiser that has lots of accessible torque for fun. I would leave the stock seats unless they are simply uncomfortable. I think you would get more performance thrills by simply acquiring a more dedicated sports car.
    I know rationally you're correct. When I'm done I'll lose around 75kgs of unsprung and 200kgs of sprung weight. That's not going to fundamentally change the car and I'm going to spend a ton of money and waste a lot of time, but my relationship with this car is not entirely rational.

Maybe it would be easier to buy an Ariel Atom V8 and make it look like a Z8.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Mates, you are right- if its purely passion then thats good too. I wouldn't call it a waste if you are chasing a passion, but perhaps if its about having a great looking car (Z8) and a great driving sports car (fill in the blank) it would make sense to find that other car. I think a cayman is really such a great choice because its actually reasonably priced for what it is. Though the Atom would be crazy!

Thanks John- Ive been good. Hope you have been too. I agree with both of you that the stock seats aren't really that supportive. My opinion is kind of the same as the radio- I prefer the look of the stock equipment. But there are other options that work better.

As to the M6, my opinion hasn't changed. Its basically an M version of a 7 series coupe. Its sporty- but its not a sports car. It is refined and great for passengers so its a great car to put the top down and take the family out. Feels solid and safe and can seriously haul once its going. But it still weighs 4500lbs without people inside it- add 4 people and you could be hauling around 5000lbs of mass. Even the 560 hp and 500 ft lbs of forced induction can't overcome that fact. For someone wanting a more comfortable 911 turbo cab alternative, they are going to be disappointed. For someone who wants a sporty GT, they will be happy. The build quality is also very good.

PS- nice seats!

perhaps if its about having a great looking car (Z8) and a great driving sports car (fill in the blank)
    I want both in the same car. I won't approach the performance of an Atom, but by the time I'm done, the Z8 should be very comfortable around e.g. a Cayman or an F458: Around the same weight as the Cayman, significantly less than an F458. Around the same power as an F458, significantly more than a Cayman. Less unsprung weight than either. The Z8 has fewer bells and whistles--top quality passive dampers versus active suspension, H gate synchro versus pdk sequential--that doesn't really bother me, though.

That, plus I don't want the headache of having too many cars to take care of. I want the Z8, a 599GTO, and a classic Ferrari (and of course a few bikes). Oh, and I have a Rotax DD2 kart for the track...now THAT's a driver's car.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Ah yes- we want it all in one item. Another way of saying that is a jack of all trades is a master of none.

I used to feel this way but now I don't feel quite this way. My opinion is you have to let something be what it is.

As to a 599GTO that is sweet but if you want to have the experience for less money for street driving, a GTB can be had for significantly less money these days. I can tell you with a few improvements/ tweaks a GTB drives very much the way the GTO does in street driving. I know because Ive done it back to back and I was surprised. The GTO has a little more vicious power delivery but thats about it...............

As to a 599GTO that is sweet but if you want to have the experience for less money for street driving, a GTB can be had for significantly less money these days.
    they are going for less than Z8s over here!

The GTO really is special, though: 2.5 seconds a lap faster than a GTB on Fiorani (one second faster than an Enzo). Of course the F12 is 1 second faster than a GTO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_Circuit

I noticed, though, the GTO prices in the US have held up better than here in Europe.

*caveat: who knows if these times were set on comparable tires*
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Ferrari is a master of marketing. Lets consider the numbers:

Enzo: 650 HP/ 3000lbs weight
    599 GTO: 660 HP / 3400 lbs weight.

How can a car that is more than 10% heavier, which features only 1.5% more power,and also features less optimal management of masses, manage a faster time around a somewhat technical circuit? The answer is mostly what you suspected: tires. The 599 GTO was the first car to have the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport whereas the Enzo was on some form of Pirelli which I don't think were as cutting edge as Pirelli wanted them to seem. So its easily a 10 year difference in tire technology. There is also the fact that the 599 GTO has the F1 superfast 2 gearbox which shifts in as little as 60ms. I believe the Enzo gear shift times were 150ms. Put these two items together and you get the improvement. I have also long suspected that Ferrari plays games with these numbers. But I don't know.

The GTO is special- it doesn't get the credit it deserves from the market place. However, the market has decided these are really "just" sport pack plus 599 GTBs.

When I drove a friends 599 GTO I was surprised there wasn't more difference to the 599 GTB I have. I have done some work to my car though by fitting the HGTE suspension, spacers which make the track wider and more stable, lowering the car which helps lower the center of gravity, and I've had it aligned pretty aggressively. So this was just street driving, but if thats what you are going to do, I'm simply letting you know you can get a lot of that 599 GTO experience for a lot less money. The big difference was simply the power delivery, the GTB is really fast- even now after all these years with it I am still brought to laughing with the amount of power it has. The GTO was just a little more vicious about it.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    I know rationally you're correct. When I'm done I'll lose around 75kgs of unsprung and 200kgs of sprung weight. That's not going to fundamentally change the car and I'm going to spend a ton of money and waste a lot of time, but my relationship with this car is not entirely rational.
    I am thorughly impressed. It might be expensive but getting more power out is even more expensive and nothing improves a car's ability like less weight.

Though a latecomer to this thread, I like your idea of a seat swap. That is a lot of savings and I for one think many of those Carpet Fiber seats (I am very tired of the look of CF, way over used in the Ford GT world.) can be made to be extremely comfortable.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    You know what? 200kg = 441lbs. That's huge. I bet the car may not be transformed into a 911 etc but I also bet going back to back to a stock Z8 the difference would be noticeable. So my opinion is still the same on the threshold thought on doing it or not but if you are doing it then that is a pretty impressive weight savings.