Thread: Ignition Key Sticking / Hard to Turn

Sport Button On

Ignition Key Sticking / Hard to Turn

The ignition key sticks almost immediately on attempting to turn the car on. Way before you make it to accessory On. Sticks like it won't turn anymore, or you have the wrong key. Then with gentle pressure and a little wiggling and finesse, you are past the sticking point and can turn the car on. I think this has to do with the joint between the key cylinder and the actual switch, but that's just a guess with no actual information.Has anyone else run into this? What is the fix? New parts? Or it's just slop in the joint between the key mechanism and the switch that has to be adjusted?

Sport Button On
    I did find this thread which seems applicable, except in my circumstance I don't hear any clicking or activation of anything and the key does end up working with a little wiggling.http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/problems-s...lock-2471.html

It may be pressure from the steering-wheel lock (at least it is in my Z4); try a little torque on the wheel one way or the other as you turn the key.

If you have a can of WD40, Id sparingly shoot some into the ignition lock just in case the tumbler was a little sticky.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Common issue. Faulty steering lock. It only gets worse until you end up on a flatbed (like me two years ago). Replacement part 32-32-6-758-211 plus labor around $2,500.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    You can buy lock specific dry Graphite in a aerosol can with a directional tip. This works better than oils and lasts longer.

This is one I bought at the local parts store but they had about 6 different versions;

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-LE5-Lock-...ateway&sr=8-10

From CRC

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Graphite-...gateway&sr=8-3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DirkZ8 View Post
    Common issue. Faulty steering lock. It only gets worse until you end up on a flatbed (like me two years ago). Replacement part 32-32-6-758-211 plus labor around $2,500.
    Ugh, That sounds painful
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    Thanks Dirk - I was really hoping that the faulty steering lock would be a sudden kind of thing - and a gradual deterioration into non-op. Another thing to add to the list for a visit to Peter Pan.