Thread: How to Program Your Key --doors UNLOCKED

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar

How to Program Your Key --doors UNLOCKED

After ordering a replacement key from BMW I discovered it was not programmed to my car.
    I followed the instructions in the Service manual.....many times and was unable to program the key.

I then did the opposite of what the service instructions said to do and it worked.

So, in my experience, when you program the key make sure the doors are UNLOCKED. The service manual says to make sure they are all locked. Locked would not work so when I tried with the doors in the unlocked position the programming worked without a hitch.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) Can you post step by step instructions, please?
    2) Did you order the key online and if so from where or was it through the dealership?
    3) Is it the actual Z8 key or a generic BMW key?

Thanks...
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    Couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) Can you post step by step instructions, please?
    2) Did you order the key online and if so from where or was it through the dealership?
    3) Is it the actual Z8 key or a generic BMW key?

Thanks...

Sure. First, I ordered the key from the local BMW dealer. The generic one I purchased so far did NOT work.
    The BMW key you order from BMW is a little more because it includes, or is supposed to include, the Z8 plate stuck on the back of the key.

It was actually pretty easy...aside from the incorrect instructions from the service manual.

1. Get in car and close all windows, doors and trunk.
    2. Turn key to the very first position and then, within 5 seconds, turn back and remove key.
    3. Immediately press the Arrow button on the key and then, while holding the arrow key, press three times the center lock button with about 2 seconds between each press.
    4. Release both buttons.
    5. You should then hear the doors lock and unlock. This is confirmation it worked!
    6. If you have a second key, immediately after you hear the doors unlock press the arrow key on the second key and then repeat steps 3-4. (Make sure doors are closed but unlocked when you do the second key just like the first)
    7. The doors should lock unlock again confirming second key is programmed as well.

Thank you !!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

My pleasure!

Z8 Novice

Lock/Unlocked Question

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    After ordering a replacement key from BMW I discovered it was not programmed to my car.
    I followed the instructions in the Service manual.....many times and was unable to program the key.

I then did the opposite of what the service instructions said to do and it worked.

So, in my experience, when you program the key make sure the doors are UNLOCKED. The service manual says to make sure they are all locked. Locked would not work so when I tried with the doors in the unlocked position the programming worked without a hitch.

I been meaning to post this but never got around to it. I never found a way by visual indication to tell if the doors are locked or not. Other than remembering if I pushed the console lock button. Am I missing something???

I tried the door from the inside. If it takes two pulls the doors were locked. If it opens with one straight pull of the lever the doors are unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by dpz8 View Post
    I been meaning to post this but never got around to it. I never found a way by visual indication to tell if the doors are locked or not. Other than remembering if I pushed the console lock button. Am I missing something???
    I had the dealership program the doors to lock automatically above 7 mph so I just listen for the doors to lock as I drive off.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red