• Special occasions only

48 21.05%
  • First owner

60 26.32%
  • Subsequent owner

94 41.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Thread: How many miles do you do, and are you an original owner?

Doug, you are SUCH a piker! The Blue Car turned over 100,000 on the way to O'Fest... but the route was so circuitous that it had over 105,000 by the time I got there!

: )

I'll double that for you! ;-)

Happy New Year!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

At this point, Nancy Drew seems to have something over 110,200 miles, since that's what shows in Andrew's picture from Monterey. I'm going to have to drive carefully to 110,998 000.9, then zero the trip odo, drive about eleven miles, and roll over to 11,100 011.1.

Well, THAT didn't work! Before I noticed, we were into 111,000 and headed for 112,000....

How's she running now? How was Santa Fe and why haven't we seen pictures?
    Andrew Macpherson

The Road To Santa Fe: Let's Rebuild The Driveshaft

Not sure this is the correct thread, but—
    As you remember, Andrew, we had a certain VIBRATION going to and from Monterey, which had assumed from our description had something to do with unburnt fuel exploding within the exhaust system. Um, no: One hard acceleration told me that it was something in the driveline: U-joints, center support bearing, CV joints, maybe even the giubo (although that flex disc looks like it should be good for a hundred years).

BMW Escondido (Brecht) ran a diagnosis (computer) and found a few iffy sensors (which could have explained the mysterious warning lights I had in Texas), and finally got the vibration during a test drive. Their best guess: driveshaft. But they are not allowed to rebuild a driveshaft, only replace it with a new one: two weeks to get one from Germany—and I had to leave for Santa Fe a week later. Estimated cost including labor: $2,400.

So I called Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent to ask where to have a driveshaft rebuilt: Oceanside Driveline. Carl is a friend, so he made rack time available and advised me when I ran into... interesting points of disassembly. Dropping the exhaust system is one; it's best to have help and a support stand. Two people can handle the exhaust system, but three is better.

There are special tools for reaching the rearmost exhaust hangers, but I employed the slower method: pulling the rear fender liners and then the lower valence. That itself is an interesting process, kind of scary the first time—but I'm glad I took this route, because it gives me greater confidence for future work.

Hey, did you know that the chrome tips are not really part of the exhaust system, but rather part of the rear valence?! That's why you don't really have to remove if—you just have to reach the hangers and then pull it out forward.

Anyway, with the exhaust down and the heat shields removed, the driveshaft is duck soup. The next morning I drove it up to Oceanside, where they predicted a turnaround time of 24 to 48 hours. I spent the rest of the day buffing the car and trying to clean the Mysterious Goo from the right-side rocker panel.

If I did this right, here are some images of the problem: the center support bearing. Oceanside had that in stock, but I took a new CV joint up to them. (Coming up: More of the story)

Perfect opportunity to upgrade the mufflers................I mean, since you are in there.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

"Perfect opportunity to upgrade the mufflers..."

Hee, hee, hee! I know you're being ironic, since at this point I must have said about a hundred times why one should keep the sound that BMW worked so hard to achieve...

Oh, I missed that.

I am in the camp that as awesome as the car is, There are still a few areas that can be improved, so I'll keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way.

Oh, I appreciate you sharing the story. I love seeing how issues get resolved for the day I have to do the same. Thanks.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Anxiously waiting to hear "More of the story"........!

Bill

Well, we're probably wandering off the thread... but here's a brief take on Santa Fe Concorso: https://www.bmwcca.org/roundel/i-fel...ours-i-escaped

As for the exhaust note: Yes, people have different preferences. But since the BMW engineers labored long and hard to re-create the sound of a mid-'50s V8, I think it's a shame when we go all Akrapovic on them. To me, the car sounds about like a '58 Corvette under the overpass. Which Party A demonstrates whenever she gets a chance!

You gotta love a woman who rolls down the windows and drops down a gear in the tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Well, we're probably wandering off the thread... but here's a brief take on Santa Fe Concorso: https://www.bmwcca.org/roundel/i-fel...ours-i-escaped
    Thanks for sharing the link to your story, and your Z8 looked stunning in the pictures!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Just hit 39995 last week. Bought my car June 25, 2009 ( I remember the date as I was taking the train up to Boston to pick up the car and heard about the death of Micheal Jackson) the car had 21k at the time. So a bit over 3k per year.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Okay, the Pasadena Art Center School of Design show required our presence, and during that trip we rolled over 113,000 miles in Nancy Drew. Since it had 98,000 when we acquired it in April 2015, that means we've (mostly moi) put fifteen thousand on the ol' girl in a year and a half!

Good work Satch!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Wow, you're finally reading this comment six months later?!

Nancy Drew now has 113,000 miles. It will have more next week when we get back from the north rim of the Grand Canyon....

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Wow, you're finally reading this comment six months later?!

Nancy Drew now has 113,000 miles. It will have more next week when we get back from the north rim of the Grand Canyon....
    I feel like such a wimp with my measly 101,314 miles. I better hit the road hard!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    16 years, 35,000 miles. Can't be too hot or too rainy to come out of the garage and zoom around South Florida. Still get comments about the car all the time. Everyone loves it. My wife said to me she remembers a time when we would be out and guys would check her out, but once we got the Z8, they would check out the car instead.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

They are such stunning cars, who can blame them :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3