Thread: Fisker inspired more by Jaguar than 507

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar

Fisker inspired more by Jaguar than 507

For those familiar with the rear and side view of the E-type I think its clear the rounded rear of the Z8 and its side view profile are far more Jaguar than BMW 507.

In terms of the interior, I noticed the XK150 (and I bet the 120 and 140) have center dash gauges, just like the Z8 whereas the 507 has traditional gauges in front of the driver.

While the Z8's nose is 507 me thinks the rest of the car is far more Jaguar. Any thoughts? Next time I see Fisker I will grill him on this one

The rear view of the Z8 is almost a carbon copy of the E-Type, particularly the way the fenders curve from their peak down into the "boot" lid. To my eye, the taillights of the Z8 closely mimic the thin, horizontal brake lights of the Series I E-Type. I concur the front is 507 inspired. I also see some 289 Cobra in the fender lines.

Yes, I was thinking that as well about those thin rear tail lights that on the Series 1 E really blend in below the chrome bumpers that wrap around the rear. Very much Z8-like in concept. Agreed on the Cobra part as well. Not as aggressive as the cobra and yet not as soft as the E-type. Really somewhere in the middle in terms of its masculinity-femininity in design language.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Yes, I was thinking that as well about those thin rear tail lights that on the Series 1 E really blend in below the chrome bumpers that wrap around the rear. Very much Z8-like in concept. Agreed on the Cobra part as well. Not as aggressive as the cobra and yet not as soft as the E-type. Really somewhere in the middle in terms of its masculinity-femininity in design language.
    The E-type Jag and the Cobra have been at the top of my list of desired cars since I was a teenager. However, I have avoided owning an E-Type due to the inevitable pain and disappointment associated with owning a 50 year old Jaguar, and while I still think about a Cobra from time to time, I'm not sure I could convince my wife (or myself) that spending that kind of money on a car is prudent. However, with the Z8 I get to have my cake and eat it too! Styling that compares favorably with the Jag as well as the Cobra, German reliability, performance that will smoke either of the older cars, and all at a fairly reasonable cost. I fell in love with the Z8 when I saw it on a carousel at the NYC Auto Show in April of 2000, and expect to own my red/sport red 2001 until the day my kids make me hand over the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    The E-type Jag and the Cobra have been at the top of my list of desired cars since I was a teenager. However, I have avoided owning an E-Type due to the inevitable pain and disappointment associated with owning a 50 year old Jaguar, and while I still think about a Cobra from time to time, I'm not sure I could convince my wife (or myself) that spending that kind of money on a car is prudent. However, with the Z8 I get to have my cake and eat it too! Styling that compares favorably with the Jag as well as the Cobra, German reliability, performance that will smoke either of the older cars, and all at a fairly reasonable cost. I fell in love with the Z8 when I saw it on a carousel at the NYC Auto Show in April of 2000, and expect to own my red/sport red 2001 until the day my kids make me hand over the keys.
    I've owned both, a number of E-types and a well-sorted show winning replica Cobra. The E-types have been wonderful experiences but the Z8, as you say, is like getting both but without the hassles and trade-offs. Just got back from a cars and coffee event where there were three Z8. I wasn't feeling it at that moment, but then three 300SL (two roadsters same color combinations!) and a Gullwing, showed up. I was again happy with the Z8 as I drove off in the sweet driving Z

DSC Off
    I think the resemblance is certainly there and intended. For me the big difference is that the XKE has bumpers, and that detracts from the rear design despite their being lightweight and nicely curved. That makes the Z design better in that respect I think.

I have also thought our Z8 brings together the 'souls' of the XKE and Cobra. In fact, I expressed that to Henrik when he attended our 2016 Monterey Acquarium dinner. I remember him smiling and then he told me about how when their small team of designers/engineers was meeting at night, discussion turned to how to develop a rear design like the XKE. One of the engineers questioned Henrik how such a pointed design would not be able to package the requirements for a modern car. Henrik encouraged his group to find a way. Hence, our unique cars in a time of blunt rear designs.

So then they admit the 507 homage car was really a modern interpretation, at least in the rear, of the E-type? Fascinating.

I suspect that they took advantage to modernize the rear end, as the predicate car's tail lights were essentially a bulb and a cover. In the 50's the knobby tail light was still the 'state of the art', whether you were talking about Ferrari or BMW, probably a function of plastic manufacturing. In addition, the rear end of the 507 was not the most attractive part of the car, imo.

Your right Ted, far better than the 507. 20/20 hindsight always yields a better result.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Your right Ted, far better than the 507. 20/20 hindsight always yields a better result.
    Good point! 20/20

Funny how the things that define an era are only visible in the rear view mirror. It’s the elements that stand the test of time in being uniquely of that time. So much of any era is just normal crap, unremarkable, average stuff, made by normal people. What we remember is the cream on top, created by those daring enough to break new ground.

That's so true, look at the top 40 of any season, you won't remember most of those songs in a decade, but the really good ones always remain, same in fashion and TV shows too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Exactly, in fact, sometimes the iconic “look” of an era is an amalgamation of elements that never or rarely existed at the time!

Picasso was once quoted as saying "good artists borrow, great artists steal."