Thread: First shots with the D4

Z8Mania

First shots with the D4

Just testing out that the camera works. I didn't really set up for these just went shooting. Especially the dusk shots, which due to my shooting fast and not using a tripod I went to ISO 1250. The camera seems to my eyes at least to be about 1 stop better than the D3 it replaces (note I didn't go to the D3s).

Z8Mania
    These were shot about 1 hour before sundown. 7PM. They were all shot RAW and with my favorite lens- its a little bit old but its still my favorite: 17-35 AF-S Nikkor ED glass.

ISO 1250; f9.0; 1/100; 35mm

Z8Mania
    I should point out I did not use any NR here. I think I forgot to tell the camera to turn off its own sharpness control and Im not sure if that goes along with the RAW file but the images look like they have some sharpening added right from the camera. I'll have to turn that off.

ISO 1250; f11.0; 1/200; 35mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 1250; f7.1; 1/320; 17mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f2.8; 1/2000; 35mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f10.0; 1/200; 17mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f10.0; 1/160; 35mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f10.0; 1/80; 35mm

Z8Mania
    Without a direct comparison to the D3 my initial sense is the D4 is a stop better with noise (which can be a big deal) and it seems to give a bit better dynamic range as some of those shots would have been more blown out/ required more correction. It is as it should be, its real clean.

It looks tremendous here from what I can see, but what I just don't get is why they don't offer a version with the D800 chip. I know the D4 chip is Nikon's own, while the D800 comes from Sony, so that may be the reason, but still I'd really prefer work with a top flight camera than a prosumer product.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I can only speculate and I dont follow camera goings on like some of you. My speculation is the D4 sensor is Nikon's own design but I believe it originated from a Sony design. My guess is they feel their special sauce is better than what they get with the new high res Sony sensor (as amazing as it is). I really don't need the resolution of that sensor. I am guessing one of the places Nikon must think their sensor is better is in noise and possibly dynamic range. Both of those matter to me. The truth of the matter is the D4 is really a pro camera and Im not a pro but I enjoy it.

Z8Mania
    Here are some more. Shot with the 24-70 f2.8 Nikon lens

Wow. This thing is a beast. At ISO 800 its got a little less noise than the Sony at ISO 100. I know its apples to oranges but still. Its also as it should be but Im still impressed!

ISO 400; f22.0; 1/200; lens @ 70mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f10.0; 1/400; 70mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f7.1; 1/6400; 70mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f18.0; 1/250; 70mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f16.0; 1/200; 70mm

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f11.0; 1/320; 70mm

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    It looks tremendous here from what I can see, but what I just don't get is why they don't offer a version with the D800 chip. I know the D4 chip is Nikon's own, while the D800 comes from Sony, so that may be the reason, but still I'd really prefer work with a top flight camera than a prosumer product.
    Didn't the D3X with the higher MP sensor come out a year after the D3? My guess is they're doing that. I haven't looked at rumors since I'm not in to the big bodies, but maybe we'll see something in the spring?

Looks great, Jerry. You're on camera overload these days!
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I think it did or maybe it was like 18 months. I don't follow cameras as tightly as I follow cars so I'm a little more casual on this stuff.

I've been having a lot of fun with this.

The pix really do look awesome, I'll give one a try on one of my jobs soon.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    A few more D4 shots. These were done with the 24-70mm lens, all @24mm and all at 100 ISO, circular polarizer and tripod and most here @ f22. I wanted to get super crisp images with lots of pop. Also I didn't have much time and this was when I had a few free minutes and it was literally the zenith of the sun- not ideal car photo lighting- hence the polarizer. I think they came out pretty good!

Gorgeous! Thanks

Z8Mania
    Thanks. My favorite is the rear 3/4 of the Z8 with the flare on it. I love how punchy the images get with the polarizer.

Lovely shots, and cars!! :-)

Almost all the Nikon lenses are sharper at 11 than 22, these days they're deigned to be at their optimum around f5.6 and really fall off a cliff beyond 11, unlike the old days.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    That is really interesting Andrew. I read your response and wondered why. Then I had another friend email me this article and I read this quote:

from: http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D80...led-tests.html

In order to get the most out of Nikon's 36MP sensor, we need to use the best glass at their sweet spot apertures. Apertures too wide will lessen resolution due to lens aberration and too small will rob resolution due to diffraction.
    Is that correct? I was wondering why this happens. Are the sensors we are using these days capable of greater pixel resolution than most film? Is it just totally different? I'm trying to figure this one out but I have a lot on my plate today so any help would be appreciated.

So bottom line is it seems that best results with these cameras would be to not go beyond F11 for crispy shots and for shallow depth of field (portraits) it seems f2.8 produces a lot of vignetting, so maybe its best to close it down one stop?

I've always wrestled with how extreme pinpoint defraction could ever produce sharpness. Sure things resolve to some threshold of "in focus", but my unscientific pondering on the subject (and a little college optics physics) suggest that true sharp resolving of objects has to fall off from the plane of focus as you move out. Even with film, I tried to stay below 11, and these new ultra sharp sensors seem to illustrating this while showing the flaws in many previously acceptable or great lenses.

In the end, I don't ever print anything at significant size or professionally which would require super sharp details. So, it's just academic...fun to think about though.
    thegunguy

great shots, great cars!

i also like the one with the little sunburst. the 24-70 has 9 straight blades - generating these 18-pointed little stars, unlike p&s cameras

i also like polarizers. in the days before Photoshop etc., polarizing filters were one of the easiest way to get a nice saturation boost and pop - and even today, it does some things no post processing can accomplish (and with today's crazy high ISOs, the exposure hit it causes is no problem).

speaking of which, one modern downside to polarizing sunglasses: wearing them blacks out the rear LCD when holding some cameras vertically

On a recent trip to the Galapagos I showed some of the other people on the trip how to use their polarized sun glasses to take the glare off the ocean for their P&S cameras. This works surprisingly well to get good photos of turtles near the surface!

Z8Mania
    Thats cool Tom. I tried the same thing with my P&S camera a while ago and it worked pretty well.

Polarized glasses are great but they also kill the heads up display and other computer displays in modern cars. I have a pair of non polarized sun glasses for this purpose.

Thanks Raka. Its taken me a while to get them both where I want them. The Z8 mods are obvious. The 599 is on the improved factory suspension (HGTE), but the european ones where the car sits lower and then we went to 20mm spacers all around to fill out the wheel arches.

My non scientific feeling is that 24-70 lens is really sweet. Yeah I know I could have bumped the ISO up and then done without the tripod, but I wanted to see how clean the shots would be at ISO 100. And my goodness they are really clean. (As they should be) but they really impressed me. I think Im running into a limitation also with my monitors which are several years old- they are the apple 30" LCD- I think they were good in their day but these days I notice they tend to lose shadow detail and if I make the shadow detail correct on those monitors, the images look like they have too much shadow detail on every other display.

Rifle, that all makes sense (even if some of it is a little above me)- but then why should Nikon or other lens makers offer such large openings? I noticed there was pronounced CA in these images- even where the shadows met the pavers. I used the RAW lens correction tool to remove the CA and it seems to have worked well but I think it would be best to avoid these filters.

Z8Mania
    Here are some more I took the other day.

First one is my favorite.

Nikon D4, Nikkor 35mm/ 1.4 lens, some sharpening added except where noted.

ISO 200; f1.4; 1/1000, cropped

Pixel for pixel window closeup- NO sharpening. NO NR. WOW look at the lack of noise.

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f1.4; 1/6400; cropped

Z8Mania
    ISO 800; f1.4; 1/3200; cropped

Z8Mania
    Woof! ISO 1600; f5.0; 1/60; no crop

Z8Mania
    ISO 100; f4.0; 1/640; cropped