Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Famous Owners.

Cool Famous Owners.

After working in Beverly Hills for over 4 years I noticed a few famous faces driving around Z8's. I personally saw the following driving around.....

(updated by admin Oct '17)

Warren Beatty............................Black/Black - although photographed in one, denied owning it.
    Ivan Boesky...............................Silver/Black Alpina
    Christie Brinkley..........................Silver/Red Z8
    Pierce Brosnan............................Silver/Black Z8
    Gerard Butler..............................Black/Black Z8
    Rodney Carrington.......................Black/Crema Z8
    Downtown Julie Brown..................Silver/Red Z8
    Steve Carell................................Silver/Red Z8.
    Kevin Costner..............................Silver/Black Z8
    Larry Ellison................................Black/Black Z8
    Roland Emmerich.........................Stratus/Black Z8
    Michael Flatley.............................Silver/Red (sold to swiftruss 78564) also owns a Black/? in Dublin
    David Geffen...............................reputed to have 4 Alpinas
    Sammy Hagar.............................Silver/Black Alpina #444
    Steve Jobs..................................Silver/Black (sold to Heritage, 60085)
    Ronan Keating.............................Silver/Black Alpina (sold)
    Phil Knight..................................Black/?
    Joey Lawrence.............................Silver/Red Alpina
    Neil Peart...................................Red/Red Z8
    Matthew Perry.............................Silver/Red Z8
    Robert Redford............................Silver/Red Z8
    Axel Rose...................................Silver/Black Hamann Z8 - (sold 62013)
    Pete Sampras..............................Black/Black Z8
    Carlos Santana............................Silver/Black
    Tom Selleck................................Silver/Black, Chrome wheels Z8
    Sylvester Stallone........................Silver/Red Z8 - (sold - possibly 60037)
    Dr Mario Thyssen.........................Silver/Red Z8
    Damon Wayans............................Black/Black Z8

Does anyone know of others?
    -Mike-

2002 Silver BMW Z8

I think you may have the ultimate list there, I spend my life shooting celebs, and have never come across another Z8 owner amongst them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You are probably right.

I worked at a Hotel in BH and on more than one occasion Tom Selleck and Kevin Costner pulled up in their Silver Z8's. It seems like they daily them. I am sure the list was longer at one time since many celebs drive what is new and hot, and then trade them later for the next hottest thing.
    -Mike-

2002 Silver BMW Z8

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I frequently saw Matthew Perry driving his on the way to shoot Friends. He would be driving down Coldwater Canyon, but his car was silver with a red interior. I also saw it at Warner Brothers outside the soundstage where the show was filmed. Not sure if he stilll has it. The famous Wall Street inside info scandal maker Ivan Boesky has a silver/black Alpina down in the La Jolla area of Southern California. Also, Joey Lawrence had a silver/red Alpina. Steve Carell, of The Office and the new Get Smart film, has a silver/red Z8. He tried to buy mine through his representative before I found my Stratus car and I told him at the time it was not for sale. Daman Wayans also has a black/black Z8. That is about it for the ones I know, but I am sure there are many others.

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I frequently saw Matthew Perry dirving his on the way to shoot Friends. He would be driving down Coldwater Canyon, but his car was silver with a red interior. I also saw it at Warner Brothers outside the soundstage where the show was filmed. Not sure if he stilll has it. The famous Wall Street inside info scandal maker Ivan Boesky has a silver/black Alpina down in the La Jolla area of Southern California. Also, Joey Lawrence had a silver/red Alpina. Steve Carell, of The Office and the new Get Smart film, has a silver/red Z8. He tried to buy mine through his representative before I found my Stratus car and I told him at the time it was not for sale. Daman Wayans also has a black/black Z8. That is about it for the ones I know, but I am sure there are many others.
    Cool! Now here is a question, do they frequent this board......
    -Mike-

2002 Silver BMW Z8

Team Z8
    A week befor I picked up mine in 02 the salesman told me Christie Brinkley picked up hers (Ti/Red). I also heard that Clint Eastwood had one several years ago.

I recall hearing that in the beginning...

of the run, Sylvester Stallone supposedly bought one of the first ones to the US. Allegedly, for a hefty $250K too rumor had it, not sure if it is true or not though.

Also, I saw in one of those celeb magazines that Matthew Perry was in an accident in his "BMW Z car", where someone ran a stop light and he was T-boned. Seems that was at least 12-18 months ago and if it was the Z8 and not another "Z car", he may no longer have it.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

When I called for a quote for a PP installation, they guy at Century West told me they did a PP install on Jim Carey's car.
    2002 Silver/Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

C. Brinkley

Quote Originally Posted by skicoach View Post
    A week befor I picked up mine in 02 the salesman told me Christie Brinkley picked up hers (Ti/Red). I also heard that Clint Eastwood had one several years ago.
    you should have picked up yours a week before
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

This site also lists Axl Rose as an owner.

http://www.lovewheels.com/celebs.php
    Last edited by CraZ8's Johnny Q; June 20th 2008 at 20:17. Reason: added link
    2002 Silver/Black

DSC Off

On MTV cribs....

......"Downtown Julie Brown" of 80s MTV fame had a silver/red one and called it her pride and joy.

Z8 Novice
    Ralf Schumacher / Cora Schumacher got one while he was driving vor BMW-Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    Also, I saw in one of those celeb magazines...
    Jeff, I'm worried about you...
    thegunguy

Indeed Axel Rose had one, I forgot about his. Another Malibu local, Larry Ellison of Oracle has one, and Dr Theissen of BMW F1 now has one.

To the best of my knowledge none of these guys ever frequent our board, or have ever turned up at any of our drives, but everyone i know whose work is 'front of camera' lusts for anonymity and privacy when they aren't working, so even if they were here we wouldn't know, which is cool with me, we're all equal enthusiasts here. The ones who impress me the most are those whose business in saving other's lives - now that is truely great work!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Speaking of Larry Ellison of Oracle, the company he just bought, BEA Systems in Sunnyvale, Ca. was owned by Alfred Chuang, who has a very large Ferrari collection, called The Dani Collection, in the Silicon Valley. I have been there and tucked away in the corner is a pristine silver/red Z8 with around 500 miles on it. Also, add Bill Gates of Microsoft to the list of Z8 owners.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I'm one of those famous guys disguised as a poor professor; oh and that's not really my picture

But seriously, if I was, I would be delighted to be part of this z8 community
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Larry Ellison had two at one time I believe. I know I was offered a blk on blk (if I recall correctly) that he had traded in here in the Bay Area.

well that was indeed a nice thing to say!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The ones who impress me the most are those whose business in saving other's lives - now that is truely great work!
    From myself and all the other Docs on the board -- Thanks Andrew!!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

From myself and all the other Docs on the board -- Thanks Andrew!!!
    Oh I'm sorry, how many doc's do we have as owners? All power to you guys. Saving lives and not fainting in the sight of blood is always quite impressive.

Celeb, Doc or Joe Shmo, this club is about enthusiasts getting together as a community. If you truly love this car, or just a plain ol car guy, you should come to the gatherings. I know Jay Leno goes on club drives all the time in So Cal.
    -Mike-

2002 Silver BMW Z8

No need to as you'll have to join me...

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Jeff, I'm worried about you...
    in reading those magazines once you move to CA.. you know you will have to stay up on all the latest news! I already put an order in for YOUR subscription to People Magazine for Christmas!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

No worries here Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Happy View Post
    Oh I'm sorry, how many doc's do we have as owners? All power to you guys. Saving lives and not fainting in the sight of blood is always quite impressive.
    No apology necessary! One big happy family here! Yeah, sometimes the sight of blood can be quite disconcerting, especially if you come out in the morning only to find what ever car you have has hemorrhaged out into a pool of oil or other fluid .

I recall getting a frantic phone call from my teenage son who was driving his Mom's Expedition and thought he could go on an expedition and go over a rather large culvert with a huge curb and drop off. He did make it but the drop off killed the Expedition as the curb popped a huge hole in the oil pan AND the transmission pan and the vehicle acutely hemorrhaged out ALL of it's oil and transmission fluid and did not make it another 30 feet before it died. Fortunately, with some part replacement surgery and fluid resusitation, we were able to revive the vehicle without too much trouble except my son was not allowed to drive for a considerable length of time. Worst thing for him though was he had to listen to his Mom fuss about it, which she still reminds him about even to this day.... nearly 7 years later! (and I suspect he will continue to hear about it -- that is what Mom's do, God love 'em!)
    Best Regards,

Jeff

No apology necessary! One big happy family here! Yeah, sometimes the sight of blood can be quite disconcerting, especially if you come out in the morning only to find what ever car you have has hemorrhaged out into a pool of oil or other fluid .

I recall getting a frantic phone call from my teenage son who was driving his Mom's Expedition and thought he could go on an expedition and go over a rather large culvert with a huge curb and drop off. He did make it but the drop off killed the Expedition as the curb popped a huge hole in the oil pan AND the transmission pan and the vehicle acutely hemorrhaged out ALL of it's oil and transmission fluid and did not make it another 30 feet before it died. Fortunately, with some part replacement surgery and fluid resusitation, we were able to revive the vehicle without too much trouble except my son was not allowed to drive for a considerable length of time. Worst thing for him though was he had to listen to his Mom fuss about it, which she still reminds him about even to this day.... nearly 7 years later! (and I suspect he will continue to hear about it -- that is what Mom's do, God love 'em!)
    -Mike-

2002 Silver BMW Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Andrew, thanks for the thoughtful words.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8Mania
    I heard Robert Redford has a silver/red one.

I also heard about this photographer guy out in CA...

DSC Off
    Larry Flynt as well apparently!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_snapper/2609992486/

Ben, that is Larry's RR parked beside a Z8 at the Four Seasons hotel, which is much more than just a hotel, it is one of the main meeting spots here in LA for doing business deals, press presentations of new films, etc, etc. Larry is always chaufered because he is bound to a wheelchair. I see him almost every week in his RR as his office and home are both near me. Sadly this means you can be sure that the Z8 isn't his.

Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Okay, sorry about that, I went a bit too fast ;-)

Team Z8

It must be a fun ride, even as a passenger...

his car passed me on the freeway (recognized by the pesonalized plates) a couple years ago and his driver had that car moving and cutting lanes like it was an F1 race.

Add Sammy Hagar to the list... the car he drives most often is an Alpina Z8 according to this article.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ive/index.html

He can't drive 55

I found a picture of Neil Peart driving his Z8 on the band's (Rush) Official Photographer's (possibly former) site. (a different Andrew... (McNaughton))
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I guess his is black/red....

Andrew Macpherson

I guess his is black/red....
    Having lived all things "Rush" for most of my life, my hunch is red over a red/black interior. The picture I saw was inside the car with him driving so it is just a hunch.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I don't think Bill Gates has a Z8. I heard rumors that Paul Allen had one a few years ago, but I've never seen either of them driving them around the area.

There were a few at Microsoft. I think I saw 4 in one parking structure at one time (one of them being mine!)

Team Z8
    Does Denis Kozlowski count?

My brother works for Nike. He says Phil Knight drives one.
    2002 Silver/Black

DSC Off

Matthew Perry

Here's a pic of Matthew Perry and his z8 !

Tell him to ditch the RFTs!
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by zilver8 View Post
    Add Sammy Hagar to the list... the car he drives most often is an Alpina Z8 according to this article.
    He can't drive 55
    Sounds like sammy needs to come on one of our drives lol

Perhaps Gerard Butler?

2003 Z8 Black/Red

Z8Mania
    Years ago I was told Robert Redford has one in silver/ red. Another owner told me that he parked near another silver red car and when he came out of a store there was a man standing over this other owners car and the man was trying to open it up to no avail. That man was Robert Redford and he understandably mistook this persons car for his.

Comedian Rodney Carrington has a Black / Creme -- ran into him in Tulsa about 2 years ago. i do not know if he still has it or not.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I have 0037 one of the first and the second owner said the original owner paid $250k for it out of Beverly Hills and hinting that it might be Sylvester Stallone's car. I don't know for sure but some of the facts are lining up, one of the first 6, Beverly Hills car dealership, and original purchase price was $250K.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Warren Beatty

Found this one. I don't think Warren Beatty is yet on the list:

http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...beatty-bmw-z8/

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8 Novice
    Andrew, for the list, I have heard that Phil Knight's Z8 is black, but I do not know the interior. I have seen one black z8 on Highway 26 here in the Portland area. When I take our z8 in for the Oregon DEQ emissions inspection, the workers immediately know the model, and know that Phil Knight has one.
    I got to meet Erik Swensson from McMinnville, OR yesterday in downtown Portland. He had his Z8 on display as part of an event at the Art Museum (The Allure of the Automobile). I got to see a 507 for the first time. It had Washington State plates. The photo is a cross eyed stereo for those of you who can freeview stereo photos.
    John R

Z8Mania
    Question: I note Tom Selleck has Chrome factory wheels- I didn't realize that was an option. Was it?

It wasn't actually, it was a SoCal dealer option no doubt to generate an excuse to upcharge!

I just copy-pasted that in from the original post, and never bothered to correct it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thanks Andrew- I thought it wasn't but I was not sure.

I'm sure there are socal dealers that would have installed spinners had those been available in early 2000.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

You know I just remembered that I heard Steve Jobs had one too a while back, anyone know if there's any truth to that?
    Andrew Macpherson

I've heard mention that Paul Allen had one. I don't know how true this is, or if he still has it.

Oh - I seem to be repeating myself on the same thread....getting old

Z8Mania
    Andrew I think you and I heard the same story so I am just echoing that back. I know he has an SL 55AMG. You want to talk about horrible user interfaces, that gen SL has a terrible one.

You know I just remembered that I heard Steve Jobs had one too a while back, anyone know if there's any truth to that?
    Yes, Jobs had one. Dana serviced it for him. He told me that Steve had no concept of time and would call him late at night expecting him to come start the car because the battery was dead.
    thegunguy

Do you know what color it was, and if he still has it?
    Andrew Macpherson

It seems like he said silver. It was sold some time ago.
    thegunguy

Well since it was sold and the info is old we'll leave him off for now.
    Andrew Macpherson

So I met and photographed a great addition today to our owners of note today. Roland Emmerich, the director who has brought us such block busters Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow and 2012, uses his Stratus/Black Z8 every day. Keep a close eye out for his new film....

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Steve Jobs car is (was) Silver/Black with 13,000 miles. Bought it from him (via a broker) a while back. Yes, he did have dead battery issues as I have the paperwork that came with the car.

With Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison being such good friends, I wonder if there's a story with their Z8s. Did one introduce it to the other?

There are some fun stories in the recently released Jobs biography about the interactions with Steve and Larry, especially just prior to Steve's return to Apple.
    thegunguy

Welcome to the fold Heritage, and your car is added to the list, hang on to those papers, since it is now documented I would say that adds quite a premium to its value.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Andrew,
    Thanks for the welcome. I've been told the same thing about the value but, I love the car. It's interesting to me that he left the Motorola phone inside but I guess (not a tech guy) the Iphone hadn't been invented yet????

Z8Mania
    We can debate if having a famous owner in the car's history really adds value. It might. I think if you were looking to sell right now it could given the positive reflections on Steve Jobs' life.

Funny, My brother had an NSX owned before him by Robert Redford... Robert may have sold it when he got the Z8??? It was about 2002! I don't think RR's name helped when he sold it a few years ago, just another used honda!

It's an interesting question, did Ursula Andress & Elvis help that 507 reach a million at Pebble, and was hitting a million what dragged the second one in the seven figures?
    Andrew Macpherson

Along these lines of famous owners and their influence on resale values...

The December 2011 issue of Automobile describes the Pebble Beach RM auction sale of a 1970 Porsche 911S coupe for $1,375,000 driven by iconic actor Steve McQueen in the movie Le Mans. The author estimated that without the McQueen connection, this car would be worth on the order of $100,000.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

It's one of those, "it depends" things. It's a combination of the story, level of influence, and connection to the buyer.

The 507 has a fun story to go along with the personalities, but Elvis also has a big draw to many. Same with McQueen's 911 that was actually in the film. A car owned by Steve Jobs will be an interest of some, but it's less of a draw in some circles, especially since he really wasn't an enthusiast of the Z8.

Regardless, when compared to any comparable car, one owned by a noted personality will likely get the nod. The value of that is widely variable.
    thegunguy

I believe McQueen's 911 fetched that price because it was actually IN the movie with him driving it. I think this price was due more to the movie provenance than celebrity provenance. If this were simply owned by him - NOT in the movie, I doubt the price would get that high. That said, his provenance could certainly elevate the price to some degree when compared to a similar, but "normal" car of the same vintage.

Agreed, I think being in the film was the key to that ones lofty price, but I see his bikes come up all the time, and they always sell well over market.

Since Steve Jobs will be as memorable a part of American history as Thomas Edison I actaully think that this provenance could add a great deal to the value in years ahead, especially once we come out of this economic slump.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I really don't think so. I think Steve McQueen was a car guy, and was in car movies and thus his cars add something. Its about marketing. Every BMW fan knows the picture of Elvis with the 507. Add in that the 507 is so rare and you get a bump for that. Also the 507 trades in the stratosphere where its about bragging rights etc. I think that this car was Steve Jobs' might give it a very small premium but I think its going to be a lot closer to the NSX example than the 507 example. JMHO. It would be interesting to hear Marty's take.

Sport Button On
    Interesting reading all. I just checked the paperwork I have with the car (JobsZ8) and sure enough, he seemed to be a "difficult" customer. It seems even back then he struggled with battery issues. The qoutes from the Service Writer "told customer he needs to wait his turn" are great reading.

Very fun, I think it makes it a super special car regarless, and certainly the one I'd want if I was a collector or a museum.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by heritage View Post
    "told customer he needs to wait his turn"
    I keep picturing Dana saying this.
    thegunguy

Michael Flatley

Michael Flatley (Riverdance) owned a silver/red car in Villefrance and according to Google searches, a black one in Ireland.

Carlos Santana Z8?

The BMW dealer here told me Carlos Santana owned a Z8. Can anyone confirm?
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

My uncle and fellow car enthusiast in Marin county has seen Carlos Santa driving his Z8. There's also a blurb in the San Francisco Chronicle from September 2011 that links Santana to a Marin county BMW dealership.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...8/DD170013.DTL
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last