Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Famous Owners.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Certain famous owners can add a huge premium to a car's value, Elvis and McQueen being two prime examples. In most cases, while it certainly can't hurt, most prior famous owners add little or no value to a car. I think the price paid for the 1970 911S was crazy. McQueen picked up that 911 in Germany, used it in the movie LeMans, and promptly sold the car as soon as it arrived in the US. He had a matching 1969 911S which his son Chad still owns to this day. I saw Chad and the 1969 911S at a car show in Palm Springs in March of 2009. If the other car brought almost 1.4 million, God only knows what someone would pay for this car since it has been in the McQueen family since new.
    I am about 250 pages into the Steve Jobs biography that came out a few months ago. He was certainly brilliant but man was he odd, at least according to what I have read so far. To say he was demanding would be a gross understatement. He got his employees to do things they thought were impossible to do, but he wasn't easy to work for.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Steve Jobs - One of a kind

Marty,

I just started reading his book while I'm recovering from knee surgery (ACL - Gotta love Percocet ) I love the stories about his "Reality distortion field" He made people believe they could do things that were impossible. You'll never learn that in B school.

I think Apple is going to do just fine without him. His attitude/style is now ingrained in the company. Also, the company was starting to grow up. It is no longer the underdog and can't act so arrogant.

It is a good read. A little sad in that we just lost a person that had the ability to change the world.

Andy
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

I'm biased, but I don't believe that Apple's new chairman, Art Levinson, will allow for it to loose its way. He's a strategic thinker and doesn't allow for mediocrity.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I do hope you're right, as an Apple user since the beginning I never left the fold, even when the world was going all PC, and am very happy to see Apple's return. However I do think living in a closed microcosm is a two edged sword. My hunch is the future is entirely tablet based, and what Apple suffered once with Microsoft & DOS they could be about to suffer again at the hands of Android.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Famous owners

It looks like the Irish pop singer Ronan Keating has owned a couple.

A Z8 in 2002

http://www.rexfeatures.com/set/379279

And later an Alpina

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/Roa...convertible/37

DSC Off
    He has an Alpina indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBFEWJSu5s At 5'30".

Sport Button On
    Dana,
    Thank You!!
    Heritage

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I was in Beverly Hills yesterday inspecting an all black Alpina for a prospective buyer. I don't know if it is true or not, but the owner of the high end used car dealership told me that David Geffen, of Dreamworks, has four Z8 Alpinas. Hey, when you are worth 5.5 billion dollars, four Alpinas is no big deal. Maybe one at each different house?
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

What about that famous photographer guy???

Nah, those of us who live behind the lens are immune from such silliness as fame! (Besides you have to have a Wikipedia entry to get onto our list ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

I wonder what Ben Bernanke drives?

Z8Mania
    You're making this too easy... the answer is our economy... over the cliff!

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    You're making this too easy... the answer is our economy... over the cliff!
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

This thread has been sleeping for a moment, and sad to report that there isn't a picture to go with the post either, but yesterday I was invited to an event here in Hollywood to celebrate the return of the Stanley Cup to the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins team owner, Ron Burkle.

We were given strict instructions the no photos were to be taken, but in the driveway of his house, built by the famous silent movie star Harold Lloyd in the 1920s, were some extraordinary cars. Sandwiched between a Porsche 918 and a stunning GT3 RS was a Silver/Black Z8, #60716.
    Andrew Macpherson

This has always been a fun thread.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    I know this is a loooooong shot, but does anyone have a picture of Steve Jobs in his Z8? I own the car and I've looked everywhere for a picture but can't find one. Obviously, it would be cool to find a pic (if one exists).

Thanks!!

I know most people would have no idea who he is but Warren Stephens, who lives here in Little Rock, and is a billionaire whose family helped finance the start of WalMart, Tyson Foods, JB Hunt Trucking, Alltel and Murphy Oil, drives an Alpina Z8 as his daily. I saw it a couple months ago and he has around 50,000 miles on it. For another reference, his father was Jack Stephens who for many years was the Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club.
    Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Heritage, you know I bet there's a Steve Jobs archivist at Apple, and if anyone would know it would be him/her. I have seen a shot of him riding a BMW bike some years ago, but never any pics of him in a car of any kind that I remember.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Andrew,

Thanks. I'm gonna give that a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by heritage View Post
    I know this is a loooooong shot, but does anyone have a picture of Steve Jobs in his Z8? I own the car and I've looked everywhere for a picture but can't find one. Obviously, it would be cool to find a pic (if one exists).

Thanks!!
    What kind of documentation do you have to link your car to Steve Jobs? I was told my other car may have been owned by a celebrity in LA, and wasn't sure about the process of actually proving it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
    I know most people would have no idea who he is but Warren Stephens, who lives here in Little Rock, and is a billionaire whose family helped finance the start of WalMart, Tyson Foods, JB Hunt Trucking, Alltel and Murphy Oil, drives an Alpina Z8 as his daily. I saw it a couple months ago and he has around 50,000 miles on it. For another reference, his father was Jack Stephens who for many years was the Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club.

That's an amazing track record of successfully picking companies for Mr Stephens! Thank you for sharing.
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On
    Hi Ed,

I have his repair work orders, Car Registration and other items. I bought it from him (through a broker) about 15 years ago. Before he was really famous.....

That's solid documentation! Good luck with finding a photo of Steve Jobs with your car. Ironically his iPhone made spontaneous photography easy because you almost always have a camera now built into your phone. Back when he owned the Z8 that wasn't the case.
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On
    I actually have his Motorola phone that came with the car. I was told by an acquaintance of mine, but friend of his, that he used the phone and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by heritage View Post
    I actually have his Motorola phone that came with the car. I was told by an acquaintance of mine, but friend of his, that he used the phone and hated it.
    So you own Steve Jobs' former Z8 and his personal inspiration for developing the iPhone, his Motorola StarTAK phone
    My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On
    As an investment banker with a couple of major Wall Street firms, I have done business with Stephens in Littlerock for years. As far as I remember, it has been one of the premier investment banking firms with tons of capital and Warren Stephens is/was a terrific banker. Now I am glad to know he is a Z8 owner as am I (60477).

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    So you own Steve Jobs' former Z8 and his personal inspiration for developing the iPhone, his Motorola StarTAK phone
    Great story on any party, that's for sure, I'd say the phone has at least the value of the car if not more

Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Now that's way cool!!
    Andrew Macpherson

We are in even better company than I thought!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Just learned of another celebrity Z8 owner:

This might be old news from a guy that hasn't logged into the site for about a year, but Sotheby's is auctioning Steve Jobs' Z8 (Silver/Black, naturally). The article seems to argue that the Moto flip-phone in the Z8 was hated, and inspired the iPhone. A bit of a stretch. By the way, you can also add Larry Ellison to the list of celeb Z8 owners. I heard he paid $400K to get one of the first deliveries. And I heard that Leno had one.https://jalopnik.com/now-you-can-own...rol-1819953863
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Happy View Post
    After working in Beverly Hills for over 4 years I noticed a few famous faces driving around Z8's. I personally saw the following driving around.....Kevin Costner - Silver/BlackMatthew Perry - Silver/Black Tom Selleck - Silver / Black, Chrome factory wheelsPete Sampras - Black/BlackPierce Brosnan - Silver/BlackDoes anyone know of others?
    Routineer

Leno never had one, I worked with a few times so had the opportunity to ask him, but it seems Ellison did. He certainly got a great return on investment getting BMW to sponsor his sailing adventures in the Americas Cup.
    Andrew Macpherson

Warren Beatty............................Black/Black - although photographed in one, denied owning it.
    Ivan Boesky...............................Silver/Black Alpina
    Christie Brinkley..........................Silver/Red Z8
    Pierce Brosnan............................Silver/Black Z8
    Gerard Butler..............................Black/Black Z8
    Rodney Carrington.......................Black/Crema Z8
    Downtown Julie Brown..................Silver/Red Z8
    Steve Carell................................Silver/Red Z8.
    Kevin Costner..............................Silver/Black Z8
    Larry Ellison................................Black/Black Z8
    Roland Emmerich.........................Stratus/Black Z8
    Michael Flatley.............................Silver/Red (sold to swiftruss 78564) also owns a Black/? in Dublin
    David Geffen...............................reputed to have 4 Alpinas
    Sammy Hagar.............................Silver/Black Alpina #444
    Steve Jobs..................................Silver/Black (sold to Heritage, then sold again at auction in Nov 2017 60085)
    Ronan Keating.............................Silver/Black Alpina (sold)
    Phil Knight..................................Black/?
    Joey Lawrence.............................Silver/Red Alpina
    Neil Peart...................................Red/Red Z8
    Matthew Perry.............................Silver/Red Z8
    Robert Redford............................Silver/Red Z8
    Axel Rose...................................Silver/Black Hamann Z8 - (sold 62013)
    Pete Sampras..............................Black/Black Z8
    Carlos Santana............................Silver/Black
    Tom Selleck................................Silver/Black, Chrome wheels Z8
    Sylvester Stallone........................Silver/Red Z8 - (sold - possibly 60037)
    Dr Mario Thyssen.........................Silver/Red Z8
    Damon Wayans............................Black/Black Z8
    Nelson Piquet...............................Black/Black Z8
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Andrew, an update on the Flatley Silver/Red car. Swiftruss sold it on a few months back. it was advertised on the board but I am not sure who bought it.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2