Thread: Center console leather delamination

Sport Button On

Center console leather delamination

A section of the leather facing on the center console has come loose. I havenít found any other mention of this in other threads. Is it easy to remove the trim piece that the gearshift sits in? Thinking I can work the leather more or less back into place, upholstery glue etc... Or am I shopping for a new center console from BMW?

Z8 Novice
    Mike - I have the exact same issue in the exact same spot (lucky us). I haven't turned my attention to fixing it yet, just wanted you to know you're not alone My sense is that any competent upholstery shop can easily fix it.

If my memory is correct, Satch (Carlson), a frequent contributor here, has some experience disassembling the console. Perhaps he can chime in on how difficult or easy a process it is. My guess is if you can get the plastic piece out of the way, it would be a simple matter to reglue the leather.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    If I recall, the console is fairly expensive, might want to exhaust your repair options first.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    Yes, definitely want to repair if possible. Both Gwmckee and I are waiting for the detailed instructions (and youtube video) for removing the trim surrounding the gearshift boot. So if anyone has disassembled that part of the center console, don't hold back.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    Ok, so I didn't know where the online service manual is located! That's just embarrassing https://www.bmwz8.us/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif. Thanks for the link. Now I just need to figure out the technique for "Unclip trim towards top".

Team Z8
    And I'll just throw this out there...if anyone knows a way to remove the aluminum handle (its badly scratched) on the parking brake, I'd appreciate it.

The aluminum handbrake trim piece is easy to remove. On the underside of the trim, there is a small flange on either side that clips it in place. You will see what I am talking about when you examine the replacement trim piece. Just take a credit card and carefully work it between the metal trim and the leather on the handle, pushing upward under the metal piece. This will disengage the flange and it will pop loose. Then you just slide it forward to clear the release button. To install the new one, slide it in place and just press down until you feel it click into place. A five minute job. Also, a quick note on removing the shift knob. Move both seats back so you can stand straddling the console. Then just grab the knob and pull up- it will require a fair amount of pressure, but it will come. Just be prepared when it does come loose that you are braced so as to not fall over. Re-installation is just to press firmly downward, look inside the knob and you will see there is a locating flange that requires you align the knob correctly in order for it to be fully seated.I have learned to remove the ring I wear on my right hand before driving the Z8 to avoid having to replace the brake trim and shift knob (which is pretty expensive) again. I don't need to do that in my Porsche, which also has an aluminum finish shift knob, but is much more durable.

Team Z8
    Great, thanks for the tip...I'll try it this weekend.

Team Z8
    Well, that handbrake is apparently the last thing that'll ever fall apart on this car...two expired and now delaminated cards and attempts with some other tools, that handle is still solidly on there.

2000 Red over black

Sport Button On
    Here's what the two pieces look like apart - the little nubbins on the cover snap over the bumps on the handle.

Sport Button On

What is in the box

I got the delaminated center console out of the car after lots of disassembly of the dash to access various screws. Very straightforward - the hardest thing is figuring out how to unplug the various switches and gauges. The plugs all seem to have different ways that they are clipped together and if you are not familiar with them (like me) be prepared to walk away for awhile. Or you'll break something.

After assessing the problem console I decided to bite the bullet and order a new one. It was a very unexpected surprise to find that the new console included the storage bins. Since all the storage bins are available under separate part numbers, I was not expecting the bins to be included and installed in the console assembly in the box. Even included the locking mechanism for the rear compartment. Top and bottom photos below so the next guy knows what to expect.

Great surprise!
    2000 Red over black