Thread: BMW's secret i8 presentation, and my next car...

BMW's secret i8 presentation, and my next car...

BMW was super strict about removing our cameras and phones before ushering us into the white pop up structure they built to hide their new i8, so although I did see it I can't share any images of it with you. I will say it looks fabulous, far better than I expected from the camouflaged test car shot at the 'ring and in other spy pix. I'm not really sure of the value of a hybrid sports car, so despite the wonders of their triumph of engineering, the glory of their secret squirrel presentation and endless talk of torque vectoring to shame the space shuttle, the fact it has no luggage space at all, and is not really a sports car or a touring car, leaves it outside of my personal realm of desire

Anyhow, enough about what I can't show you, because what I can is the my next BMW, the i3, which is truly stunning. It really is a super fun capable city blaster, and will easily better a Cooper S in an autocross course. I was taken out for a short spin in it, and it is an absolutely awesome hoot. The pups loved it too, and despite it's slightly challenging looks, I know it's my next BMW. What's in that white tent behind the i3 is the i8, but once again BMW took my cameras away!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

and Jerry, this one's for you!

Even though my desire is for a funky fast golf cart, here's your next BMW....

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Nice Andrew! I also think the i3 is extremely fascinating. And that's where the i8 loses me. It's looks are OK and it's whole reason for existence is... What exactly? Whereas the i3 is pure efficiency of transportation with a BMW twist. Sounds like a winning combo. I think we will warm to the exterior design- it's purely form follows function. If I didn't like having my large sedan I could see doing something like this.

The 8 concept is pretty cool but man it's large!

I love the pups in the car. When does yours arrive and what color?

I haven't even ordered it yet, and as of yesterday they also didn't even know what the final full range of colors will be, but I'm thinking something neutral, a silver, a dark grey or possibly a navy.

The i8 is very reminiscent of the HP2 Sport bike, and the colors they're showing it in are exactly these, so I guess that really surprised me, but also it honestly suits the car very well. Wait till you see it in the flesh, its a great looking vehicle, but for sure there's nobody I know who'd take one over an R8 or a 911, which are at its projected price point. It'll certainly be interesting to see who buys it, and if it really is a car that will define the future of sports driving as they hope.

Andrew Macpherson

The i3 is based on a mini chassis, no?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Newly developed all carbon body

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    Great point Andrew, the i8 really does resemble the bike. I like your choice of colors I think it will look good.

Yeah, the i3 is not some warmed over mini chassis. Its a totally new chassis. The passenger cell is CF- so strong that there's no B-Pillar. The lower carrier is aluminum.

Love the fortuitous grab of the ///M on the Gran Lusso side mirror in the last shot.
    thegunguy

That Gran Lusso is gorgeous!!! But, alas it is missing a pedal.

Z8Mania
    You could say that about a lot of cars these days.

i3 or Retro M?

Laguna Seca Historic Races Sighting: Mother of i3 - MIsetta.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Nice!!!

And Satch loved it too....

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/6424
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Now that is cute ! Driving around in the paddock, the only sensible use for an Isetta.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

My mom's car in high school was an Isetta - the football team used to pick it up and hide it from her

The I3 is cute but it needs a convertible version.

The i8 has snuck onto the net before its official unveiling in Frankfurt on the 11th, it looks prettier in person than that these pictures suggest...

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    OK the techno lust geek inside me loves this. But I do need to see more. From these Im not sure the interior is special enough to justify the pricing. I know someone who saw it and he called it a "game changer"... I'm not sure I agree but thats what he said.

Oddly enough I liked the styling and the looks of the car more than the idea of what it is, a hybrid sportscar with no luggage space at all. Right now I'm pretty excited about the plug in hybrid X5 that they're launching at Frankfurt, that is a genuinely practical answer to my electric desires, but also is something I can use for everything else.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Nothing odd about it- those are real concerns. But to me, when you say sports car, I don't get too hung up on storage. I'm not a huge fan of the M1 Homage concept that this car borrows from.

Z8Mania
    OK I've changed my mind. I've come around on the i8. I've been looking at more and more pictures. I think it looks best in darker colors. Very sleek and also futuristic. This happens with me- all the time! LOL.

Ohhh I see it happen LOL Did it start on the Z8 like this ? But you have to wait until 2015 because the 2014 batch is sold out
    Ton

I could certainly see it having an appeal, it has a nice style, but I'd have to drive it to really know. Currently I'm more excited about going electric for my daily driver than my 'enthusiast car' but of course I'm open to persuasion.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    No. The Z07 was love at first sight. I have the first spot at my dealer if I want it...... I prefer to wait a bit but I could see one of these maybe one day. Just because I knocked its looks I felt I should said I changed my mind.

I've really got to hand it to BMW. Not only do they deliver a quality product but still hit a price target too.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    No. The Z07 was love at first sight. I have the first spot at my dealer if I want it...... I prefer to wait a bit but I could see one of these maybe one day. Just because I knocked its looks I felt I should said I changed my mind.

I've really got to hand it to BMW. Not only do they deliver a quality product but still hit a price target too.
    I like it more in real life than on Photo, but I cannot get used to this blue "ornaments": they spoil the design
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I think the Z8 is a classically beautiful design. It's simple and even a bit retro- but retro in a good way. Recalling the romanticism of the past but not getting caught up in cliche. The i8 is unapologetically modern. It's more challenging but I think it does have its own beauty though. I think the blue elements are just part of the marketing. I suppose you could down play them by getting the car in blue or having them covered in whatever color the car is....

Ton

Z8Mania
    Nice! I think I would want either metallic black or a very dark grey.

It does seem to have a rather baseball sneaker profile. If the Z3Coupe was a Clownshoe, this is a HipHop low-top.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    They stuck alpina wheels on that one! I think I like the coupe a little better. The spider looks a little bit chunky.

IMO to much concept car ....and chunky!
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Forgive the overly tacky commercial- the car looks good- especially in darker colors.