Thread: Best Z8 Mechanic near Ridgefield, CT?

Z8 Doppleganger

Best Z8 Mechanic near Ridgefield, CT?

Took my Z8 off the lift yesterday to take the first spring drive. Started just fine but after 2 minutes of idling some seriously heavy gray smoke started coming out of both exhaust pipes. Couldn't see a foot in it! Car was still idling just fine and sounded good but I shut it down after another 2 minutes. No oil or anti-freeze dripping.

So, can anyone recommend a good, honest Z8 mechanic in western CT or nearby? Called my local BMW dealer and they admitted that they had no one that was really an expert but then proceed to say that all E39 engines are the same ...

Thanks for your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
    Took my Z8 off the lift yesterday to take the first spring drive. Started just fine but after 2 minutes of idling some seriously heavy gray smoke started coming out of both exhaust pipes. Couldn't see a foot in it! Car was still idling just fine and sounded good but I shut it down after another 2 minutes. No oil or anti-freeze dripping.

So, can anyone recommend a good, honest Z8 mechanic in western CT or nearby? Called my local BMW dealer and they admitted that they had no one that was really an expert but then proceed to say that all E39 engines are the same ...

Thanks for your ideas.
    I have used BMW of Greenwich, which is reasonably close to you, a few times with my Z8 although it was a couple of years ago. Alternatively, I would seek out a good independent BMW mechanic who is willing to work on your car. The S62 motor in our cars are exactly the same as that in the E39 M5, so there are a reasonable number of cars with this engine still being used on a daily basis. The S62 is based on the M62/M62tu engines BMW used in untold numbers of sedans back in the late 90's/early 2000's, so it should be reasonably familiar to an experienced BMW mechanic.

Good luck, hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Z8 Doppleganger
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I have used BMW of Greenwich, which is reasonably close to you, a few times with my Z8 although it was a couple of years ago. Alternatively, I would seek out a good independent BMW mechanic who is willing to work on your car. The S62 motor in our cars are exactly the same as that in the E39 M5, so there are a reasonable number of cars with this engine still being used on a daily basis. The S62 is based on the M62/M62tu engines BMW used in untold numbers of sedans back in the late 90's/early 2000's, so it should be reasonably familiar to an experienced BMW mechanic.

Good luck, hopefully it is nothing too serious.
    Thks for the info. Was hoping to find an independent. Back in Cali had an awesome master mechanic that knew the car forwards and back. But if I can't find that right now, I'll head to BMW Greenwich

Want to share the name of your message in Cali, hopefully SoCali? Would appreciate it.

Z8 Doppleganger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    Want to share the name of your message in Cali, hopefully SoCali? Would appreciate it.
    Unfortunately was in NorCal, Folsom to be precise.
    But if you're still interest it's Foreign AutoHaus. Make sure you talk with the owner, Rafael.

Z8 Doppleganger
    Does anybody have experience with Motor Works West in Wykoff, NJ or with Northesast Motor sports in Mahwah? Have on e positive referral.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
    Does anybody have experience with Motor Works West in Wykoff, NJ or with Northesast Motor sports in Mahwah? Have on e positive referral.
    Yes, I used Northeast Motor Sports in Mahwah about a year ago to replace the thermostat in my Z8. I was happy with the experience although I thought they were a little pricey. Would definitely recommend them. Surprisingly, I just checked their website and was surprised to see a photo of my car featured prominently on their website!

Z8 Doppleganger
    Thks Boomster. The lead owner Dave has received high praise and although Dave has retired, the co-owner, Steve, knows the Z8 Master Mechanic, Raphael, that I used in Cali. So it all seems to checkout.