Thread: Bay Area to Malibu and back.

Bay Area to Malibu and back.

Two weeks back I drove down to Malibu for a lectureship at Pepperdine University (what a place for a school). I had to rush down to make an appointment. So I took the 5 most of the way to make good time. A couple hours in, I cut over to the 33 down through the oil fields around Taft and McKittrick (trying to recreate a scene from The World is Not Enough, I suppose) and then over the Los Padres National Forest to Ojai and then the PCH into Mailbu (using Andrew's wonderful bypass of Oxnard - thanks!). From the high speeds of the Central Valley, to the industrial oil fields, up and over the coastal ranges, and down along the coast - it was a fun and diverse cross section of the state.

On the return trip, I had the girlie with me. So, we took a gentle pace with a mix of fun roads and staying close to eating, shopping, etc. On the first day heading back, our goal was to have lunch in Santa Barbara and then run up to explore Morro Bay for the night. From Malibu we retraced my steps from earlier in the week along the PCH back to Vetura, then on up to Santa Barbara for lunch on the water. From there we continued briskly up to Morro Bay for the evening. In light of everything going on in Iceland currently, the rock at Morro Bay is fascinating. Basically, it's the plug from the bowels of an ancient volcano. The mountain has since eroded, and all that's left is the core - right on the beach. The town is your basic beach/fishing village - quaint and simple. We stayed at the Inn at Morro Bay, which was lovely except for the bird sanctuary next door. Needless to say, I took the car in to town the next morning for a coin-operated bath.

For the second day (after the car was clean-ish) we loaded up on salt water taffy and a lovely thai lunch before making the short jump up 1 to Old Creek Road where several of us enjoyed some great driving last April when we met in Cayucos. It's wonderful little road that runs inland toward to vineyards of Paso Robles. Then we turned back toward the coast, enjoying the descent down into Cambria. After snacks and gas, we decided to pop up to Hearst Castle to see if we could get on one of the tours. Luckily there was plenty of room, and we got to take in all of the insanity. After Hearst Castle, we headed north up a D E S E R T E D HWY 1. Honestly, in my short time in California, I've never seen the road so empty. As such, it was an amazing run up the coast with the sun slowly sinking over the water.

Consulting Yelp via the iPhone we decided on a Mediterranean restaurant that came highly recommended in Carmel, Dametra's. The funny part is that while waiting at the door to be seated I noticed a familiar face in the back of the tiny restaurant. After my brain caught up with my eyes, I realized that it was Andrew with his motorbike buddies who had been at the Quail all day. Good food brings people together, I guess. Regardless of running into friends, Dametra's is definitely a place that I'd recommend. Carmel locals were lined at the door waiting to get in, and for good reason. The food is quite good, but the service by the owners/family is without equal. From the moment we entered, we felt like family. You're greeted with a handshake, a hand on your back, and a broad smile making you feel like you're their first ever customer. The highlight of the experience was when the proprietors, likely father and son, serenaded the restaurant, again making you feel like they were performing only for you. Truly a wonderful place.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable trip of mixed driving and quick hops, but it's been a while since I've put anything up. So, enjoy a few happy snaps along the way.

thegunguy

Great pix, thanks for sharing!

It was a really fun spot in Carmel, and so funny to bump into you there too! What perfect weather we had, it was the best weekend of the year so far. It is gray and rainy down here this week, the June Glooms are in.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Nice travel log. How about posting a map of the route?

Fred Kern and I are going down from the central valley to Malibu for a Memorial Day Vintage car run and visit to a private auto collection and I am thinking about taking 33 down unless I trailer the Morgan as opposed to driving it (the bench seat is a little rough on long trips). Usually I do 5 at hyper speed and wouldn't mind a lazier drive.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Thanks for sharing, love the pics ... it's been a while.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

There's really not much reason to get on to the 33 until Maricopa, but I just get bored on the freeway. South of the 46 it's just miles of oil fields. If I weren't in a hurry, I'd do the 101 >> 58 >> 33.
    thegunguy

I've got a much, much better one for you....

Andrew Macpherson

Indeed.

My route was influenced by time and planned stops, but I'd much rather have done the 58. I looked at that road up to the Grapevine too - looks fun. Have you done it?

On the way up, we talked about heading back down to Cambria for a few nights in the fall (early Oct or so). I'd love to have another go at the Santa Rosa Creek RD.
    thegunguy

I'd love to meet up in Cambria in Oct/Nov.
    Andrew Macpherson