Thread: Aston Martin DB9

Aston Martin DB9

I am thinking of acquiring a DB9 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one and what their thoughts were.

Z8 Novice
    I've been considering picking one up as well and would also be interested in people's thoughts and experiences. I've been told that the sport pack is a must option which really improves the handling of the car.

Regards,
    Chris

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

Talking

Just picked mine up last Friday.
    Lovely car, hand gear version with Sports pack. So a coupe version for all weather conditions and the Z8 for when the sun shines!
    Good to know Henrik Fisker was also involved in its design.

I did not realize that he was involved in the design, but as I look at the car I can see the same type of lines that made the Z8 so appealing to me.

Sport Button On

Smile Aston Martin DB9

I have owned two DB9's and a Volante they are fantastic cars but without doubt go for the sport pack version, this gives superb road holding,smoother ride and responsive steering not to mention the "sharper looks". But in my oppinon the upgraded Vanquish S is the car to have !!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8-NL View Post
    Just picked mine up last Friday.
    Lovely car, hand gear version with Sports pack. So a coupe version for all weather conditions and the Z8 for when the sun shines!
    Good to know Henrik Fisker was also involved in its design.

A very nice one I might add Z8-NL !

I took delievry of my DB9 last June after ordering it the November before. This was to be my daily driver and the Sports Pac question (to do or not to do?) came up. The dealer happened to have one with and one without available for me to test drive. After driving both, and keeping in mind the state of Soputhern California's freeways, I elected not to order the Sports Pack. Quite frankly, I didn't notice much differance (though I'm sure there is, if only I was a more experienced driver, driving at speed) other than the roughness of the ride below 45 mph. That being said, I LOVE this car. Everything about it. It's just a beautiful ride, the handling, acceleration, the sound of the exhaust, even the little British quirks add to the overall enjoyment. And every day I'm reminded of how stunning this car is to the eye as I walk out into the garage to go to work. I didn't buy the car as an investemt, so the loss in value over time is unimportant. From a maintenance standpoint, problems have been few and minor, with the dealer going out of their way to support. To have the Z8 for my convertiable ride and my DB9 for everything else is a blessing indeed.
    Yes, I'd recommend the purchase of a DB9.

Z8Mania
    thats a beautiful stable you have there Mark- please post some pics!

I bought a DB9 about 1.5 years ago (black/black/Sports pack), then exchanged it with a green one in April.
    No big problems so far, the car is a joy. I personally don't like the seats to much, I can't get far back and down enough. Sports pack is essential here, but it may not be that important in the US.

a few impressions:
    black
    green

I had a look at the DBS, however, I didn't see a difference significant enough to justify the extra cost, except for exclusivity.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8Mania
    To my eyes AM ruined the clean and feminine shape of the DB9 with the DBS. Its a very good job of adding extras to the shape, but in the end I think if you wanted that heavy fisted styling, then the Vanquish is a better look (though I am no fan of that). I am sure the extra performance is nice- but it seems the sports pack has indeed addressed the suspension issues with the car. This was something that for me was a real turn off on AM- they gave the press one set of cars with a different suspension setup and then the production DB9 was different for some reason. Evo magazine ran a cover story on this and they were also let down.

I've toyed with the idea of picking up a DB9 from time to time. There was a carbon black one at a local dealer- I love carbon black... But I never followed through.

Those are some wonderful pictures and certainly continue the temptation I feel to purchase a DB9. I still have not made up my mind as I originally purchased the Alpina for its timeless appearance, I feel that the DB9 offers a similar appearance. Performance is not quite as high on my list as all of these cars offer more speed then I could ever use on the roads in NJ. I am not sure what will help me decide to keep the Alpina or swap. I guess I will just continue to think about it.

I'd say in the big picture of life it's a wonderful problem to have! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Very true.

For those of who thought the DBS looked ugly....

check out the Volante soft top version!!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Andrew- do you like it or not? I don't care at all for the faux diffuser on the rear end and also all that white stuff all over the car

I do not think the DB9 has the same timeless appearance as the Z8 but styling is simply a matter of personal opinion. The DB9 is a beautiful car.

To my eyes it is ungainly and ill proportioned. I fear without Henrik those guys really have rather lost the plot, it is almost as ugly as a 6 series ragtop..
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I basically agree. I just think the basic car shape is more delicate and they are doing too much tack on. But they are doing what they must and I think it will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouray View Post
    I am thinking of acquiring a DB9 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one and what their thoughts were.
    I picked up a V8 recently and love the car. I imagine its quite different than the smaller car but many AM issues carry over. Very happy with the handling and went to Thunderhill recently with an AM club outing and the DB9's were fast. If their torque is anything like my old Ferrari 550, the handling pack would be a very good idea! Good luck.

I had the pleasure of an hour's drive in the 8 last year and loved it - what a magnificent exhaust note! Really a lovely car - congratulations!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by dwz8 View Post
    I bought a DB9 about 1.5 years ago (black/black/Sports pack), then exchanged it with a green one in April.
    No big problems so far, the car is a joy. I personally don't like the seats to much, I can't get far back and down enough. Sports pack is essential here, but it may not be that important in the US.

a few impressions:
    black
    green

I had a look at the DBS, however, I didn't see a difference significant enough to justify the extra cost, except for exclusivity.
    From the looks of your driveway, you must have two stratus z8's. Oh the inequity and insult of your overconsumption.....!!
    I think it only fair that you share the wealth of that awesome color and I humbly volunteer to help you with the distribution that will bring greater balance and harmony to your garage!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I had the pleasure of an hour's drive in the 8 last year and loved it - what a magnificent exhaust note! Really a lovely car - congratulations!!
    Yes, wonderful sounding car. I was planning to fit the Larini sport exhaust to the car but the stock sound with the baffle left open is so very nice.

Thunderhill? Where are you located? You weren't at Santana row in SJ a couple weeks ago?

No, that was not me, I live on the north coast.

Z8Mania
    John,
    Nice!

Sport Button On
    Great Car, like the red stiching on the black leather, Aston martin are "possibly" bringing out a V!2 RS in the V8 Coupe body shell, quoting top speed of 210mph and 0 to 60 of 4.2 secs,might be available in 2009 if they get enough interest, I think its a certainty as UK dealer has taken my order for this "pocket rocket".

thanks guys.
    I had heard about the v12 possibility. What a car! Did the dealer give you an idea of cost?

We had a post with the launch pix some time ago, you can see it here.
    Andrew Macpherson

thanks for the heads up, very informative link.

Sport Button On
    They are advising a figure in the region of ?120.000 sterling but as cars in the US seem to less exspensive for example today in the UK a well speced DB9 is ?120.000($235000) approx and a V8 Vantage ?95.000.($185000) On the V12RS they say they are only going to produce 500 so get your order in as these cars will fly out of the showroom !!!!