Thread: Air Conditioner Evaporator

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Air Conditioner Evaporator

I guess after 21 years you got to expect something to go.

I brought the Z8 in for service since my soft top would not go up or down. Didnt know if it was a fuse or the motor. But also noticed the AC was not blowing cool air at all.

Of course at the shop the soft top worked just fine repeatedly. But they found a hole in the AC evaporator that leaked coolant and can not be repaired. They told me this will be an expensive part to replace. I am awaiting a quote.

Has anyone else had an AC evaporator replaced?

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

I had my A/C "Pusher Fan" replaced in 2017 at a cost $514 totaling $1,507 with labor (7 hours), misc. parts and freon. Looking at the parts for Evaporator I came up with this:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/search?s...str=Evaporator

So if it is just the core, not too bad. If they have to replace the case (as well) it will add significantly to the cost.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On - DSC Off

The evaporator was the cheap part

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    I had my A/C "Pusher Fan" replaced in 2017 at a cost $514 totaling $1,507 with labor (7 hours), misc. parts and freon. Looking at the parts for Evaporator I came up with this:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/search?s...str=Evaporator

So if it is just the core, not too bad. If they have to replace the case (as well) it will add significantly to the cost.
    The evaporator itself was currently about $670. But since the Z8 was put together like a piece of origami, it is a MAJOR job to get to the evaporator to replace it. Like dissembling the car with a weeks worth of labor. Needless to say a huge labor charge for the work and the car out of commission for a couple of weeks.

I remember years ago having to replace one of the rear lights and having to take the bumper off to get to it. And the time I had to have a front coil suspension spring replaced and the motor had to come out to get to it. Lots of stuff packed together in a way that is not easy to get to.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software