Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 2018-2019 Neon Taillight Updates, New Experiences, and New Light Design

  1. #1
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    126

    2018-2019 Neon Taillight Updates, New Experiences, and New Light Design

    There was a thread on this but it seems to have sidetracked.

    For Z8 owners in the USA has there been a BMW so called goodwill program whereby the replace the rear neon brake/taillights for free?

    Here is some interesting information that clearly shows BMW has had and has known about significant issues with these taillight assemblies since the very beginning.

    1. Despite the low production numbers (only about 5700 globally) BMW is now on their fourth version of this taillight!

    2. BMW terminated one version in 2000.

    3. BMW terminated the subsequent version in 2002.

    4. BMW terminated that version in 2018.

    5. On March 11, 2018, BMW came out with a new light!

    Prices? Per the local BMW dealer: These prices are just for one side (driver or passenger) and include all the parts you need to buy from BMW to make this new light work: Taillight $3172.18: Cover $84.79: Lock Panel: $189.03 Support bracket $57.42 Total for both sides: $7,006.84 This does not include Labor costs.




  2. #2
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    908
    It would be interesting to know what changes were being made on each version.

    I bought a new set in 2017. Obviously no longer the latest and greatest. 😕
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  3. #3
    I had both my tail lights replaced in 2013 (at 91K miles) and received at the time a 35% Goodwill adjustment from BMW courtesy of Bill Stewart. My cost was $2610.19 representing the remaining 65% of the cost.
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  4. #4
    Wasn't there a 2016 version/production run? There were some lights made in 2016, at least for Europe/ROW.

    Different from the 2018 version?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 31st 2018, 00:33
  2. Possible LED solution to Neon Taillights - Need Core
    By cccmanhattan in forum Problems, Solutions and Long Term Maintenance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 4th 2014, 21:50
  3. Front bumper neon turn signal failure
    By zed8 in forum Problems, Solutions and Long Term Maintenance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 14th 2013, 17:00
  4. Rear fog light design
    By RacerX in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 15th 2009, 18:26
  5. Post Performance Package Experiences
    By jmosk in forum The Frame Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 6th 2007, 16:09